VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:32 PM

Default Two Suggestions for Your Consideration

Hello, I really like this site and use it alot. So, up for your consideration is two minor ideas that, I personally, would find kinda' nice. Take 'em or leave 'em, either way, this is still an awesome site.

1) I've noticed, when viewing albums, that the info such as the composer and the "arranged by" staff and whatnot is center aligned.

Perhaps this is a preference thing, but sometimes I think it looks confusing when I'm trying to pick out who is who from a wild list of composers and arrangers. Personally, I would start the list of composers directly to the right of where is says composers and do the same for the arranged artists etc.

I mean, it's not a big deal, I just thought it would look a bit more polished.

2) Umm, this might be a total pain to implement, and perhaps not very useful to alot of people, but I think it would be cool. I would like to be able to enter album numbers into my collection which are not yet added to the data-base. You know, just type them in and have them show up in my collection... wherever... just the catalogue number.

The purpose being that sometimes I lose track of an album that doesn't seem to have an entry and even if it is entered in the data-base later, I wouldn't even think to look for it.

Perhaps, if such a thing did exist, a little program could send out notifications if your album number was added.

Like I said, that could be alot of work for very little pay off. Honestly, I don't really know what all goes into an operation like this behind the scenes.

So take these ideas and use them, don't use them, make fun of them, delete them... whatever you want to do. I wish I could actually help with the site, but I'm so ill suited for the task that I think picking from the sidelines is the best I can do.

Anyway, any thoughts?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCapitalist View Post
So take these ideas and use them, don't use them, make fun of them, delete them... whatever you want to do.
OK, but you asked for it.

Quote:
1) I've noticed, when viewing albums, that the info such as the composer and the "arranged by" staff and whatnot is center aligned.

Perhaps this is a preference thing, but sometimes I think it looks confusing when I'm trying to pick out who is who from a wild list of composers and arrangers. Personally, I would start the list of composers directly to the right of where is says composers and do the same for the arranged artists etc.

I mean, it's not a big deal, I just thought it would look a bit more polished.
-They are not center aligned; subjects and names are their own columns, with each set of names having its own text box. "Catalog Number," because of its length, is the subject heading that sets the spacing between the two sides. That's your polish. (The fields are horizontally aligned as well)
-You're on your own in terms of personal experience. You just need more of it before the information becomes second nature to you. There's also artist pages.

Quote:
2) I would like to be able to enter album numbers into my collection which are not yet added to the data-base. You know, just type them in and have them show up in my collection... wherever... just the catalogue number.

The purpose being that sometimes I lose track of an album that doesn't seem to have an entry and even if it is entered in the data-base later, I wouldn't even think to look for it.
-Can't write them down on a piece of paper and reference them later?

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Apr 12, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:55 PM

Hrm, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my explanation as I lack the vernacular to express myself properly in formatty ways.

Let's take the following soundtrack. http://vgmdb.net/album/2002

Now, vertical alignment looks good like you say... but I'm not seeing the horizontal alignment that you claim. For example, Yoshio Ueno appears above the "Composed by" text box (within its vertical column), while Yoshiko Yamaguchi appears below it. Having composers both above and below the "Composed by" placeholder is what I mean by center alignment.

Is this not your experience? How 'bout if you shrink your window? Again, it could be that there is a good reason for why things are the way they are. I just don't know it. Also, it could be that my experience is singular in nature, but I like to think that I'm just not that special.

As for point two... of course writing down the catalog numbers would work, but for that matter we could all just write down our entire collections and maintain the list ourselves... That would work, but it's not the ideal. The point isn't what would work, but what might work better.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:19 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I see what you mean about the spacing. The album pages can probably use a little tweaking (plus we need a way to start displaying other roles like lyricist.)

As for point two, the solution is simple. Add the albums that are missing. We grow by user submission.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:15 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I do not do anime, but if there's really so much VGM albums missing, you can send me the catalog numbers (or at least a few informations) of the albums missing on the database in a private message.
I'll try to add them myself.

Or you can try to submit them yourself, like SS said, submissions are public and everyone can contribute.
On a side note, staff will correct/complete (at best as they can) errors if you are not able to send complete informations.

Last edited by Myrkul; Apr 13, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
-They are not center aligned; subjects and names are their own columns, with each set of names having its own text box. "Catalog Number," because of its length, is the subject heading that sets the spacing between the two sides. That's your polish. (The fields are horizontally aligned as well)
That's not polish, that's just the default behavior for table content when nothing is tweaked. I also think that particular table could use plenty of little polishing tweaks. The left columns cells should use following CSS code so that the left column's text is aligned with the right column's text, i.e. at the top right of the cells:
Code:
vertical-align: top;
text-align: right;
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This part of the code is still old-school tables.

Anyway, I added the vertical aligns to the row. Let's see how that looks on various albums.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
The left columns cells should use following CSS code so that the left column's text is aligned with the right column's text, i.e. at the top right of the cells:
Code:
vertical-align: top;
text-align: right;
Actually, it's still off like that (less off, but it stands out more to me than the it being centered), the right column needs to be aligned top as well for the text to line up nicely. And this is just personal preference but I think having the labels right aligned looks like crap.

Some stylish:
Code:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("vgmdb.net") {
#album_infobit_large td[nowrap="nowrap"] { text-align: right !important; }
#album_infobit_large td { vertical-align: top !important; }
}

Last edited by Ira; Apr 13, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I had to propagate the valign:top to all the fields to prevent some weird spacing. I don't like the result. Is there a way to center align the first line of text in the left column with the first line of text in the right column, and let the remaining lines in the 2nd column follow as they will?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:33 AM

Was changing the updates list as well intentional?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:42 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Updates list shouldn't have changed, but I took all my edits out since I didn't like the result.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:44 AM

Yeah, it was just a bug on my end.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 12:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I'm using Firefox and I don't see any changes. However, I also agree that the data in the cells should be aligned to the top.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 03:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's because I reversed my changes.

I pretty much failed at this, because making that change altered the spacing in a way that it didn't look so great (probably because the font sizes differ in the two columns.) I'm sure something better is possible though.