VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:36 AM

Buggy, track numbers have been screwed up somehow. This is quite boring people: the author of the tracklists/scans should be able to remove and fully edit everything anytime. I don't really like the fact that only admins can modify stuff other people put effort into writing/scanning etc... Sounds wrong to me.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Relax, removal of information has always been limited to editors and staff, this is widespread standard operating procedure. In this case only the track numbers can't be modified (not even by the admins), and that's because I haven't gotten around to fixing the interface. We're also planning on adding a deletion request procedure (and maybe allow deletion for non-staff within a grace period). Hopefully things will be more exciting then!

I'll manually fix the track numbers through mysql.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks and sorry if I sounded aggressive.

Did anybody know where this soundtrack comes from? It looks like a standalone promotional freebie but I might be wrong...
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think things are very exciting here, even without public deletion. We do have a class of users called "Trusted Editors" who have more flexibility such as deletion, and people get promoted to that generally when we trust their edits.

But I'm really not comfortable with giving the general public the ability to royally screw up the database. Even the ability to delete one's own content .... I just don't see any compelling reason to allow that globally, mostly because I've seen many instances where someone, who I thought was completely stable, suddenly decides to erase their presence from the net, and starts deleting everything they ever posted. I just don't see the point in a decision to delete the content that you've contributed to the public. Nothing we have here is even a creative work; it all belongs to the publishers. We are all working together because we enjoy this hobby, and we want to provide accurate information.

About the tracklists, I didn't include any ways to insert or remove tracks, because it would have made for quite a headache on the moderation queue. As Blah mentions, we'll eventually do it, but even when it's implemented, i still think the easiest way to fix a mis-numbered tracklist is to submit a new one, since the interface is so easy. In practice, you can also call for deletion of a duplicate or messed-up tracklist or scan by renaming it to "delete me", which will be noticed by staff when the moderation queue is checked.