VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:08 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

From tags:

Michiru Yamane (01, 02, 04~07, 09, 12~14, 20, 23, 28, 30, 33, 35, 36, 38, 43, 44)
Keisuke Ito (03, 10, 16, 19, 21, 22, 25, 27, 31, 34, 40, 41, 46)
Ryusuke Fujioka (08, 11, 17, 18, 24, 26, 29, 32, 37, 42)
Ippo Yamada (15)
Atsuhiro Ishizuna (39, 45)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 06:25 PM

Thanks for posting; was wondering how much music the game had and how many discs it would take up.

I'll probably avoid the disc in the Backer edition and hope that Inti's label publish an OST.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 04:15 AM

Oh huh, I had thought Yamane was composing most if not all of it...

Hope there will be a lossless release of some sort...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 04:09 PM

Most of the Igavanias were Yamane working with someone else. She only did about half of the tracks for AoS and DoS, for example.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:50 PM

Have not listened to the full soundtrack, but Ryusuke Fujioka's tracks really stick out sometimes. "Gears of Fortune" is really good and I thought it was a typical Yamane composition - which it was not! Yamane delivers her usual Castlevania vibes here, but personally I find tracks like "Voyage of Promise" rather weak and a bit unoriginal. I'm also a bit disapointed that Ippo just contributed one track here (luckily he had a bigger role in CotM).

Oh, and thank godness they didn't include the English version of "Theme of Bloodstained" - which is horrible in my opinion compared to the original. These vocals... oO

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jun 20, 2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 08:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Can somebody who has played the game tell me if the OST isn't complete? I ask because Jake Kaufman was supposed to do some music but isn't credited for anything here.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Can somebody who has played the game tell me if the OST isn't complete? I ask because Jake Kaufman was supposed to do some music but isn't credited for anything here.
I was wondering the same. I thought he was part of Curse of the Moon, but apparently not either.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 04:12 AM

Without spoiling anything, there's an interesting....very different....area (I assume it's a bonus but I haven't fully beaten it to find out yet). I wouldn't be surprised if Jake did the, I believe, two tracks from it if he did take part in the game. It doesn't look like it's in there just based on track titles, at least.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:47 AM

Umm, did anyone else notice there's an inconsistency about who composed "Silent Howling"?

The Curse of the Moon soundtrack says it was Yamane, but the tags from this one say it was Fujioka. So, who is the actual composer for it?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Most of the songs for which Yamane is credited for composition on Curse of the Moon are tagged as either Keisuke Ito or Ryusuke Fujioka here. My guess is Ito & Fujioka arranged them, so they got the credit, but who knows. Maybe a future Inti Creates or noisycroak soundtrack release of this will clarify.

Last edited by CHz; Jun 30, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:27 AM

I'm in a chat with Jake and some friends of his, and they brought up his inclusion (or lack thereof) in the RotN soundtrack. The story is that they initially contacted him about it, he asked them to get back to him when it was time for him to contribute something, they never did, and he was too busy with other projects to get back to them. So yeah, doesn't rule out the possibility of future DLC, but the base game doesn't have any music by Jake.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think some of the instruments sound a little out of tune in some of Michiru Yamane's tracks? There's something about them that sounds just a little bit off to me and it's enough to make me cringe when I hear it. I don't notice it in any of the other composers' tracks, save for Ippo Yamada's, but he's got all sorts of crazy atonal stuff going on with the strings in the background so I'm pretty sure that one's intentional.

Also, crazy thing, I was running some of the music through a spectrogram to try to get a visual look at what I was hearing with that detuning, and I noticed some tracks seem to use standard A=440Hz tuning, while others use A=432Hz tuning. Dominique's Theme is one of the A=432 tracks, which sucks because the quest complete jingle is tuned to A=440, and that clash in tuning is so uncomfortable to listen to that I never want to feed that old lady again. If you didn't notice any of this, or simply aren't bothered by it, I envy you.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 05:40 AM

Ugh. When I said I wanted lossless of some sort, I didn't mean this...

https://i.imgur.com/ez2DGFB.jpg

Last edited by TerraEpon; Jul 5, 2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:26 AM

https://twitter.com/ValierX/status/1143577985167044609

Apparently, it's a fake FLAC and they just converted the Mp3 files. Can anyone confirm? Also, why does some tracks end so abrupt, like "Gears of Fortune"?

Then, while I'm on it, why does some sound samples sound so ... off? I mean, listen to "Ritual of the Night". The melody is great, but the overall arrangement and synth quality is...meeeh!
This repeating drum line... the horn synth or what it is sounds awful! "Voyage of a Promise" features a similar, in my opinion, really bland drum line and mixing as well.

I really hope they put up a better quality soundtrack for this one with better mixing, sound quality, better loops and yeah. After all this promotion on kickstarter the game deserves it.

The music is not bad, by all means, but this product here leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, or better ears. What do you think?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 05:23 AM

So, Bloodstained makes a lot of reference to past Castlevania soundtracks, especially Symphony of the Night, but I even noticed a small reference to Castlevania 64's soundtrack, namely "Prologue", where the organ hints the melody of "Underground Waterway" around 1:24.

Any one else spotted some references?

Sorry for the double post.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 05:30 AM

So apparently the GoG version of the OST actually IS true lossless. How utterly bizzare.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:08 AM

That is really bizarre, were the ones on GOG initially lossy as well or were they always true lossless? If the former, then perhaps there's still hope for it getting fixed on the Steam release.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:00 PM

I've heard that the FLAC release on Steam is actually lossless now (apparently it got updated at some point this month,) can anyone confirm if this is true? I've also heard that the songs have proper fade outs now instead of ending abrubtly, I haven't looked into it myself so I can't say for certain if that's true, but looking at the track listing on steam it appears that the lengths of several songs no longer line up with what is listed here.

Additionally, does anyone know if the physical CD releases had proper fade outs or did they just end abruptly? I recall TerraEpon stating that the CD releases were indeed lossless, but if the tracks end abruptly on those releases then that might make the updated digital releases the definitive versions now.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 06:32 AM
Trusted Editor

I checked my Steam version and it looks like they finally updated the FLAC files to not be lossy converstions, at least based on the frequency cutoff: https://i.imgur.com/xzo1Hvs.png
Old Oct 16, 2020, 01:16 AM

I took a look at the my Kickstarter digital soundtrack and from what I can tell it looks like the current FLAC version available on steam is exactly the same as that one, they even feature the same artwork while the MP3 version on Steam still uses the previous artwork. This really makes me question why they didn't just use that one in the first place as it was actually lossless and already featured proper fade outs. It looks like the MP3s on steam still have abrupt cutoffs though which is odd seeing as the MP3 (VBR) from the kickstarter release had proper fade outs like the FLAC version. It also looks like they never bothered to list the proper artists for the MP3s on Steam either so it would appear that only the FLAC release got any sort of update, but I have no idea if this is true for the GOG release as well or not.

If the CD has proper fade outs than I suppose that would make the CD and the FLAC digital releases the best versions. Judging by their lengths though it would appear that the CD, the digital kickstarter and specifically the FLAC release on steam (and presumably GOG) are all identical.