VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:44 PM
Trusted Editor

Wow, it looks really awesome. Is it yours?

There was an auction for G.S.M. promo posters on Yahoo (Super Mario 3, Final Fight & SNK G.S.M.1) recently, but they went for a truckload of money (30,000 Yen if I remember right). Would love to paint my wall with them, but not at this going rate
Old Mar 28, 2016, 03:25 AM

Nope, not mine, just found the pic while googling for random stuff.

Yes, they must have been printed in very low numbers and if you have 2 or more serious collectors, prices are going to be very high.

If you have a pic of your poster, please upload it to the correct album page, I think it's great to look at, and may also contain interesting info about the album.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 07:04 PM
Trusted Editor

Unfortunately I don't have any of them posters. And I don't have any pictures of them either. I'll add them in case I find some.

However, I don't think they carry any useful information for the db (they are just advertising with a release date and price and maybe some standard text after all).
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:24 PM

There's an ad for KICA albums and I found it had a small difference for Dracula Famicom Best. I think it is possible that more of these posters/ads have interesting information.

In any case I think they belong to the scan section, if not, well let me know.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:41 PM

I updated the composer breakdown based on the new release:

http://store.bravewave.net/album/nin...undtrack-vol-1
Old Jul 17, 2018, 09:20 AM
Trusted Editor

Added some more scans for this beatiful album. Does anybody know if the 1st print came with sticker sheet? You know, the one that could be stickered on the spine of the case b/c there is no back inlay (like with Syvalion, Famicom Jump Hero etc.). I'm starting to believe there never was a sticker sheet for this one. At least I've never seen a copy with one.
Old May 23, 2019, 02:19 PM

I think there might be some a bit of misinformation in the notes down below.

Grade Up Version: 2~4, 6, 10, 13, 16, 18~21, 24

I don't think track 13 ("The Sanctuary Of Shadows") is an "upgrade version"; it sounds like the in-game version to me; it's track 12 "CIA" that may be the "upgrade version" because the song switches from the left and right channels as it progresses. I was listening t "CIA" on Vol.1 and the track doesn't seem to switch between the channels on there, even though I know it's possible for earlier hardware/games (Mega Man V on the Gameboy) to do this.

Additionally, track 16 "Surprise Attack: The Wicked God's Secret Maneuvers" seems normal to me, but track 17 "Malth The Crimson Terror" has some obvious effects added in.

I'm really at a loss with the tracks 18~21 however, I don't know if I'm hearing anything additional or not. Track 24 does have an obvious additional lead however.
Old May 23, 2019, 02:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I just double-checked the booklet and the notes are correct in which songs are called "GRADE UP VERSION" (with the addition of track 26 as well), so if there are errors there, they're in the booklet itself.
Old May 23, 2019, 05:47 PM

From what I've heard, the *GRADE UP music encompasses the tracks that include an extra sound channel not normally possible with the 2A03 sound chip of the NES/Famicom.

Let's compare:

Temple of Darkness (original)
Temple of Darkness (Grade Up)

Notice the extra octave in the lead?

Assault: Stealthy Devil
Assault: Stealthy Devil (Grade Up)

Can you hear the higher pitch square wave?

Also, just to note: not only is the Brave Wave album in mono, but so is the NES hardware. With that in mind, this whole album is enhanced. But someone really went to work with that bloody Malth theme!

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Jun 12, 2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Can you heard the higher pitch square wave?
Okay, I wasn't sure if that was actually intentional or if that was just a byproduct of the recording process.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 07:49 PM

Did this album have a transparent tray with no tray artwork? If so, did it use a slimline case?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 09:23 PM
Trusted Editor

Yes, no back insert. It's a regular CD case.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Does the non pictured version of this cd have the back tray artwork as Capcom GSM 1&2?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 03:28 AM
Trusted Editor

I don't think there is a non picture disc version of this album. Do you have any pictures of it?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 03:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

In the first post of this topic a user report a different art version of this disc. It could not be a bootleg since YJ don't sell bootleg and there's no bootleg known of this album available from complete lists of major bootleg company. This album was released in first month of 1989 and in April of 1989 there was the first change in taxation in Japan. Maybe there was a second print after that date...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 03:59 AM
Trusted Editor

Okay, could be. However, I haven't stumbled accross a non picture disc version yet.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 04:55 AM

For some releases, the picture discs way outnumber the non-picture discs. I used to have a non-picture release of Perfect Collection Ys, and I don't recall seeing another copy like it. It is similar to how, for some games, the Greatest Hits version has a lower print run than the original.

As for bootlegs on YJA, I see more and more of them for video games these days. I feel like the late '90s was the pinnacle of Taiwanese bootlegs for CDs (Son May, Ever Anime), but that died out by the mid-2000s. Bootleg/reproduction games, especially for expensive PC Engine games, are fairly common now.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 08:49 PM

So I just listened to my personal rips from this CD (using EAC; Gap handling : Appended to previous track) and the previous track's audio "bleeds" into the next track.

I've heard another rip do this as well. I happen to have a rip that doesn't do this, but Accurip returns disk not present in database.

Are all versions like this?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 09:39 PM

Yeah, mine does that too. Honestly I never noticed before since I always listen to it all in one go.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:22 PM
Trusted Editor

Found an interesting variant of the picture disc. Unlike the other Scitron reprints (blue/back generic) this one is different. Mind the copy is still missing the back cover.

Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:11 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by samael View Post
Is there a bootleg of this floating around? I have seen a copy on Yahoo Japan auctions that has a different disc art. I'm wondering if it's a bootleg or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Found an interesting variant of the picture disc. Unlike the other Scitron reprints (blue/back generic) this one is different. Mind the copy is still missing the back cover.

Good catch!!
I wonder if this is the same variant seen by the guy who openened this thread...
I always thought there were standard Scitron black/light blue layout copies as various other releases, but never came out so I highly doubted they really exist. This different picture disc variant probably close the case.