VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 5, 2009, 03:33 AM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Ah, there's finally some more info about this soundtrack. <Sigh> I probably won't have the money to purchase this by the time it becomes available; I really hope that it doesn't go out of print soon after its release like some other VGM soundtracks (Planetary Pieces: Sonic World Adventure Original Soundtrack).

Also, thanks to whomever for posting the complete tracklist and the other composers that contributed to this album, which reminds me...I have a question. Does anyone know if this soundtrack contains the remastered tracks that were done for The Memory of Ragnarok and other RO soundtracks or are they the originals from Ragnarok Online Original Soundtrack?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 05:43 AM
Trusted Editor

Only 4800 JPY?? That's pretty cheap for a 5 disc album...
Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:43 PM

Heh, funny, KeyLogic. I posted the tracklist. And no, it won't contain the arranged tracks from Meory of Ragnarok unfortunately. Call Gravity's US tech support and ask about buying the CD.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:11 AM

For me Ragnarok Online is still one of the MMOs with the best soundtracks. I've thought Aion will claim the throne as the music previews were nice to listen to but after playing the game for some hours I'm disappointed.

So I like the idea of a 5-CD box and definitely think about to buy one.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Looks like cdjapan is already sold out of its first press. I just ordered mine at Play-Asia.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Some delicious soundTeMP:

Finished updating the entry. Scans will be going up soon.

This box was worth every cent. Everyone should seriously consider a purchase <3
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Still waiting for mine. I picked bubble instead of box. I hope it doesn't get to me all banged up. I'm actually rather excited about this OST. Last time I did a rip of the game's music, the final track was "Lastman Dancing". This means there are over 30 tracks of music I've yet to hear. Even if they all sucked (which I doubt), Ragnarok Online still has dozens of awesome songs (hell, just about every track is good). I also feel glad I can remove it from my list of games that need complete soundtracks now that all the music has been released.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 08:08 PM

It's not entirely "complete" anymore, actually. Korean Ragnarok Online servers just recently got an update that added a new area based on Brazil which has new music to go along with it. Three new pieces: one for the town, one for the fields around it, one for the dungeon. However I believe the area was created by Level-Up Games, the Brazilian distributor of Ragnarok Online, and not Gravity itself. The new music is credited to a Denis Koishi (this is probably him: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/denis-koishi/0/212/a03) who I can't seem to find too much information on.

This is similar to the the story behind the music by NEOCYON on this soundtrack, which was created by the Russian distributor of Ragnarok Online (NEOCYON) for the area it designed based on Russia which was then incorporated into the main Korean servers and pushed out as an update for all regions.

Also, the game is still being actively developed and I doubt they will stop adding new areas, so this soundtrack will most likely still become outdated in the future, even though it has the word "complete" in its name. Of course, it's still great that they released this, far too few MMORPGs get proper soundtrack releases of any kind, most are lucky to get small CD samplers even. Staying on top of the music in MMORPGs sure is hard to do.

Edit: Looking at the tracklist more carefully, I noticed there have been some changes to the names of the tracks when compared to their original titles from the game's bgm files. Mostly just capitalization changes, but some songs have had changes to their punctuation (e.g. "Time up!!" in the game files -> "Time Up!" on the cd, "Wanna Be Free!!" in the game files -> "Wanna Be Free!" on the cd, probably a few more.) This isn't a very big deal, but the most confusing thing I found is that one track has been completely renamed, that is, "Fear..." in the game files -> "Monk Zonk" on the cd. What? lol. Oh, and "Theme of Lutie / Snow In My Heart" in the game files -> "Theme of Lutie" on the cd. Just thought I would point this out since it's a bit odd, especially "Monk Zonk" <_<

Last edited by Pizzasrgo; Sep 4, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 05:07 PM

I just have one question.

If I remember correctly (please don't hurt me if I'm wrong), the quality on the Original Soundtrack release (SSCX-10090~1) was basically the same as the original MP3s the game came with. Which was a shame, because the alpha release of Ragnarok Online came packaged in with very high quality versions of the music, infact, they were extended too! But I was disappointed when hearing the quality of the original soundtrack - and even more disappointed to hear that there weren't any extended mixes anywhere. Sure, later CD releases had better quality on the BGM - but it didn't have all the tracks I loved.

So I'm going to ask this question (I think I've heard it asked multiple times from different people) - is the quality of this release better? Even on the tracks that haven't seen CD release since the original soundtrack (Prontera, Title, Streamside, etc)? Please let me know because I REALLY want to get this soundtrack if the quality on all of the songs are better than the quality of the MP3s from the actual game themselves.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out one of my friends has it - and says the quality is SO MUCH BETTER in this release for everything. Still not extended like in the alpha though, but still, the quality makes it worth it. I'll be buying this.

Last edited by knuckles500; Sep 6, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 08:19 PM

Wonder which members at SoundTeMP handled the newer stuff. It's not very good.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

Any chance available to find out the seiyuu for the drama tracks?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I added them.

You can see their photograph here:

http://www.e-animedia.net/app/index....detail090828_2
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:52 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I added them.

You can see their photograph here:

http://www.e-animedia.net/app/index....detail090828_2
Same page also had names for the people (and hiragana's for the names) in the bottom. So added the missing name + kanji.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Those are the untouched ingame tracks, which I can tell from playing for years. In high bitrate. And it rocks.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:53 AM

Ragnarok Online (Brasilis) can be listened at:

http://www.last.fm/music/Denis+Koishi/Ragnarok+Brasilis
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:31 PM

For those of you that haven't purchased this album yet, I seriously recommend it. An absolute 5 star purchase in my opinion and worth every single penny. Buy it now.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:46 AM

This might be a silly question, but I already own this Ragnarok soundtrack. Would it be worthwhile for me to replace it with this newer complete soundtrack? I guess what I'm asking is if the complete soundtrack includes all the music on the older release.

I've been fooled by "complete" soundtracks before. ^.^;
Old Feb 6, 2010, 03:56 PM

Complete meaning EVERY single Ragnarok track up until the release date of the album. Also the audio quality is far far superior to the original soundtrack, its quite astonishing.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:48 PM

Just for the hell of it, I did a comparison of tracks between this release and the previous two Ragnarok Online original soundtrack releases, and this one does not contain the track called "Fear...". The 2006 Avex Trax release contained this song, as well as some 80s mix of it and a -special version- of some sort. So unless it was named something else, or it's just not originally from the game, I don't think this release has, as you put it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
EVERY single Ragnarok track up until the release date of the album.
But out of 3 different versions... I'd THINK it's from the game. lol. Let me know if it isn't though, or if it got renamed, because I've never played Ragnarok Online, or heard much of the music.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:47 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
Also the audio quality is far far superior to the original soundtrack, its quite astonishing.
Very true; especially on the oldest tracks (near the beginning of the album). They're low quality on the game rip, and still pretty low quality on the DigiCube RO OST. Here, they're crystal clear.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
this one does not contain the track called "Fear..."
It's here. Through listening, I've confirmed it's just retitled as "Monk Zonk". I have no idea why.

P.S. Added to album notes.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:46 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Very true; especially on the oldest tracks (near the beginning of the album). They're low quality on the game rip, and still pretty low quality on the DigiCube RO OST. Here, they're crystal clear.
That's exactly what I needed to know. I was under the impression that this soundtrack contained the old tracks from the old RO OST (untouched) and the newer song with the higher sound quality. So just to be clear, all of the old old tracks from RO OST were remastered for this OST, correct?

I can't believe that I haven't listened to this soundtrack yet.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:09 PM

Aha, Monk Zonk. Interesting. Thanks for that info. I'm thinking about buying this for a friend's birthday, so I just came around and did what I always do, scrutinized everything :P

EDIT: And NOW I read Pizzasrgo's post about name differences. Wow. MY BAD

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 23, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLogic View Post
So just to be clear, all of the old old tracks from RO OST were remastered for this OST, correct?
Correct.

Tracks like "Gambler of Highway" and "I Miss You" no longer sound like they're playing on AM radio.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Correct.

Tracks like "Gambler of Highway" and "I Miss You" no longer sound like they're playing on AM radio.
K, thanks for the info! I'm still confused about something though. Disc 2 of The Memory of Ragnarok contains remastered tracks which sound far superior to the RO OST. Are some of the tracks on this OST directly taken from TMoR disc 2?

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I don't know about that. The only official RO albums I've heard are the DigiCube release, the SoundTeMP Special Remix, and this one. I believe the quality of the tracks here are on the level of the remastered tracks on the SoundTeMP Special Remix. However, I do remember that version of "Out of Curiosity" sounding a bit different, and I think this album's version is more true to the original. I'd have to check.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLogic View Post
K, thanks for the info! I'm still confused about something though. Disc 2 of The Memory of Ragnarok contains remastered tracks which sound far superior to the RO OST. Are some of the tracks on this OST directly taken from TMoR disc 2?
Nope. TMoR contains tracks that could be considered arranged versions, eventhough it's not stated.

The tracks on this album are 100% the ones from the game, except in better quality. Not arrangements.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:35 PM

Who is かんきりこ (Kankiriko)? I can't find any information on this person. And the other spelling (かんりきこ, Kanrikiko) appears on the back of the box as well. I've searched both these names online and can't come up with any info.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's stated in the notes already. Kankiriko is one of the artists whose 4koma is featured in the album booklet and dramatized on the CD. Kanrikiko is a misprint.

Search on Google for "かんきりこ" and you'll find his homepage through the first link:

http://www8.plala.or.jp/kankiri/
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:13 PM

Ah, thanks. The page linking to his site talked about SCOOP and Alicesoft so I didn't go hunting for any further links since it didn't seem to be relevant. I see the links to RO material on his actual site.

What's a bit confusing here is that on many tracklists, mistakes are honored. The Capcom Music Generation Rockman box collections keep the Engrish in the tracklists, and there was a Castlevania dual GBA release that had noted that the names of two songs had been switched, but in the tracklist the incorrect order was kept. Seeing the artist's name actually spelled correctly *in the tracklist* despite the consistent mistakes in the physical material here made me give it a closer look I guess.

Last edited by Hellacia; Mar 15, 2010 at 04:18 PM.