VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:52 AM

I sincerely have no idea why I can't link to Tokuma Japan Communications as publisher for this album. I can't choose it in the label/organization drop-down list.

Maybe, someone could help me out?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's out of range for this album.
Tokuma Japan Communications is set from 1992.
http://vgmdb.net/org/74
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:04 AM

scans are from a reprint of the original release, probably from after 1989 since thar has taxation
even from after 1992, since tjc is from that date

it's probably published by animage / tokuma japan (distributed by tokuma comm)

Last edited by Phonograph; Sep 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:34 PM

I don't know if you had seen the back scan of this album, it was released in 1985 and the publisher is Tokuma Japan Communications [発売元 : (株)徳間ジャパンコミュニケーションズ].
It's exactly the same case as this album, you can see the back scan to check the publisher data is the same, but on this album is linked Tokuma Japan Communications and the release date of the album is prior to 1992. So, how's that possible?

Last edited by isdapi; Sep 29, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:53 PM

because it's a reprint or re-released album if you prefer
some old albums before 1989 or 1997 had a certain price defined by the publisher itself
but from 1989 (and then in 1997), jap gov decided to add (or rise existing) taxation to products, since old albums had no taxation, some publishers (of this time) should have reprinted the same albums with the taxation addition

but since some companies could have changed names between first printings and taxation or eventual re-reprintings (in case some albums were all sold) you can see those changes on covers/obis
it's generally the exact album, but with little changes on covers (price, publisher/distributor)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
because it's a reprint or re-released album if you prefer
some old albums before 1989 or 1997 had a certain price defined by the publisher itself
but from 1989 (and then in 1997), jap gov decided to add (or rise existing) taxation to products, since old albums had no taxation, some publishers (of this time) should have reprinted the same albums with the taxation addition

but since some companies could have changed names between first printings and taxation or eventual re-reprintings (in case some albums were all sold) you can see those changes on covers/obis
it's generally the exact album, but with little changes on covers (price, publisher/distributor)
Yeah, I understand all what you say about reprints and the need of taxation in some old albums, but that's not what I was asking about.

What I can't understand is the fact that some albums released prior to 1992 (look) are linked to the label Tokuma Japan Communications if that company was established in 1992. And I already showed you two images that prove that Tokuma Japan Communications (徳間ジャパンコミュニケーションズ) was publishing prior to 1992.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's no secret that you can actually do the linking using the force method if you go to the organization page/manage albums and enter album ID in the link field. That will obviously override start date.

Of course we can change the year for the label if we have enough evidence.

Last edited by Efendija; Sep 30, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess what Phonograph is saying is that the album was reprinted after 1991, but that they kept the old catalog number and release date stamp on the cover, but changed the publisher? Do we have some other examples in the database?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 09:04 AM

some pony canyon old releases
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:25 AM

oy isdapi, don't assign company from 1992 to an album from 1985, capisce?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I guess what Phonograph is saying is that the album was reprinted after 1991, but that they kept the old catalog number and release date stamp on the cover, but changed the publisher? Do we have some other examples in the database?
This is exactly what Phono's saying. Tokuma Japan Communications was founded when Tokuma Japan and Tokuma Communcations merged in 1992, so the scans on this Meitantei Holmes release and that Kiki's Delivery Service release must be from post-1992 reprints that updated the publisher name but left the original release date untouched.

NTT Publishing did the same thing with their 2004 Pryaid Records reprints of Square albums: http://vgmdb.net/org/80. Nearly all of them show the original release date, all of which predate Pryaid's incorporation in 1998.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post

What I can't understand is the fact that some albums released prior to 1992 (look) are linked to the label Tokuma Japan Communications if that company was established in 1992. And I already showed you two images that prove that Tokuma Japan Communications (徳間ジャパンコミュニケーションズ) was publishing prior to 1992.
I corrected those entries (about tjc being printed just proves that it's reprinted nothing more)

and in case you still wonder the cover (other link is dead, but it must be the same) shows the taxation, thing (taxation) that didn't exist in (early) 1989 and it's highly possible some publishers didn't use the taxation right after its creation for some reason maybe logistics (since there usually is time between creation and application for laws)
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:36 PM

I replaced the covers of this album with these ones. On these new scans, it's written "発売元 : 株式会社徳間ジャパン", so the publisher was Tokuma Japan, after all.

Well, in my defense, I didn't know anything about reprints where almost all the information displayed on the back covers came from previous releases of the album. Yeah, even catalog numbers, which is utterly disconcerting, how the hell can you even differentiate between one release or another if they even have the same catalog number in some scans.

And I found another image of the Kiki's Delivery Service Image Album (see attachment) which must correspond to the 1989 release. It's likely that it's written something like this: 発売元 : 株式会社徳間ジャパン / 販売元 : 株式会社徳間コミュニケーションズ. The quality of the image is too poor to confirm this, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back.jpg (55.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by isdapi; Oct 1, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 03:57 PM

I don't blame you or anyone for those errors
people generally take info from shops (so do I) but I know how to avoid some "traps"

some shops that still sell old albums (still printing or still in stock) often use the current name of companies (for example: some shops still use columbia music entertainment, whereas it has returned to nippon columbia for some years)