VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 24, 2008, 09:38 AM

Products represented
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (US), Castlevania ~Lament of Reality~ (Japan)

"Lament of Reality"? I have never heard this and could find no references to it. The game is called simply "Castlevania" in Japan.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:45 AM

I went ahead and made the change.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:03 AM

I think the title of this particular album have been intentionally kept as Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, since, while romanized Japanese titles were used for other Castlevania album, it was assumed that a plain "Castlevania" would just confuse people, aside of a small group that knew lots about the series. I totally understand it if someone objects, for the sake of consistency or something else, but I think we would still benefit from having some discussions on the title order that remained in stable condition for years.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I think the title of this particular album have been intentionally kept as Castlevania: Lament of Innocence, since, while romanized Japanese titles were used for other Castlevania album, it was assumed that a plain "Castlevania" would just confuse people
I got that impression too. However, there's no way to circle around that the game's Japanese title is just that. I think that line 4+ in the edit field "other names" is perfect for such a case. This way we have the correct OST name on top but we can still find it if we do a quick search for "Lament".
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:56 PM

Speaking of consistency and confusing localised titles, how about:

http://vgmdb.net/album/1072
http://vgmdb.net/album/109

"Tales of Destiny 2" should bring up both in a search result. Or not.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:14 AM

What would be really good is if you could search "Tales of Destiny II" and get the "Tales of Eternia" product, which would then show you a link to the Tales of Eternia Original Soundtrack if you were looking for it. But I guess people would still be confused to see results for the Tales of Eternia soundtrack when they're looking for Tales of Destiny II? I dunno.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
What would be really good is if you could search "Tales of Destiny II" and get the "Tales of Eternia" product, which would then show you a link to the Tales of Eternia Original Soundtrack if you were looking for it. But I guess people would still be confused to see results for the Tales of Eternia soundtrack when they're looking for Tales of Destiny II? I dunno.
There's a Tales of Destiny II release under Tales of Eternia. I think I could modify the search so that it finds those results too.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:37 AM

Now that I think about it, it would be no more confusing than adding alternate titles for soundtracks and having them come up in the results, right?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:47 PM

More similar levels of naming clusterf***s:

JP: Gunbird
EN: Mobile Light Force

JP: Shikigami no Shiro
EN: Mobile Light Force 2
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:07 AM

So I kind of have a bone to pick with these Otaku.com links... they're not really store entry pages that reliably take you to where a product is being sold. Otaku.com typically lists individual items, and once it's sold, it's gone and another page is created for a new sale of the item. Maybe they have some pages with the item in stock more than once when it's new, but what I've described is the is the case with this item; the page we have linked to no longer exists. I also can't delete it, since I don't have enough clearance

Otaku.com listed like a billion things in the marketplace anyway, do we really need both?
Old May 12, 2019, 11:57 AM

I have a question regarding the three track Aria of Sorrow suite on here.

I originally didn't think much of these tracks, but over time they've grown on me.

Anyway, I cannot for the life of me ascertain the source track behind "Requiem for the Dark Souls". This has bugged me forever and I even have the Aria/Dawn set.

I know "Holy Cross Obsessed By The Moon" is "Demon Castle Top Floor" and
"Requiem For The Dark Souls" is "Chapel" but the third track has me stumped.

Can anyone help me out?
Old May 12, 2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
I have a question regarding the three track Aria of Sorrow suite on here.

I originally didn't think much of these tracks, but over time they've grown on me.

Anyway, I cannot for the life of me ascertain the source track behind "Requiem for the Dark Souls". This has bugged me forever and I even have the Aria/Dawn set.

I know "Holy Cross Obsessed By The Moon" is "Demon Castle Top Floor" and
"Requiem For The Dark Souls" is "Chapel" but the third track has me stumped.

Can anyone help me out?
"The Cross of Fate" is from "Ruined Castle Corridor," the opening area theme from Aria of Sorrow.
Old May 12, 2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
"The Cross of Fate" is from "Ruined Castle Corridor," the opening area theme from Aria of Sorrow.
Thanks, this was my guess before writing the question but I wasn't sure if I was hearing it quite right.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnutz View Post
Products represented
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (US), Castlevania ~Lament of Reality~ (Japan)

"Lament of Reality"? I have never heard this and could find no references to it. The game is called simply "Castlevania" in Japan.
This misconception about the Japanese title of the game probably stems from disc 2 track 5 whose title could be translated as "lament of truth" or "a true lament". Oh, this track also quotes Dracula's theme from Super Castlevania IV starting at 1:14 and especially at 1:33.
Old May 6, 2021, 08:27 PM

Some of the titles used in the game's Sound Select differ slightly from the digital release, they are as follows...

1.05 Prelude to the Black Abyss
1.08 Old Man's Cottage
1.16 Statue Born of Darkness
1.22 Aria of Nightmare
1.23 Snakeheaded Medusa
2.04 Misty Moon Pagoda of the Demonic Realm
2.11 Admiration of a Clan

Also I was curious about the official English title for track 2.13, is "Holy Cross Obsessed by the Moon" even proper English? I've never heard of something being "obsessed by" something before.
I think a more accurate translation of "月に憑かれし聖架" would actually be "Holy Cross Possessed by the Moon." Perhaps it was a typo?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 08:13 PM

I was wondering, is there a reason why "アンデッドパラサイトのテーマ" was translated as "Undead Parasite Theme" rather than "Undead Parasite's Theme?" There's only one Undead Parasite in the game so it not like it's a theme shared by multiple Undead Parasites or something like that.