VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:07 AM

I just did a full comparison of the tracklist with the sound test menus from both games (which are obviously complete) and I have good news.. ALL the music from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 is here! This assumes "UNUSED SONG" is Hidden Palace Zone from Sonic 2 and "DEATH EGG ZONE (PART2)" is Sonic 2's final boss music, which I'm 99.99999% sure is true.

The only missing material are the Drowning, Chaos Emerald, and Special Stage 1UP jingles, as Nisto already pointed out. Since this release is being produced by Masato Nakamura on his own label, I'm assuming those jingles weren't included because he had nothing to do with them. We know from various research that Yukifumi Makino (Macky) wrote the Drowning and Chaos Emerald jingles, not sure about the other one though.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:23 AM

Oh, wow. It's up for pre-order? I really like this site. Thanks guys
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:23 AM

We have 'Mega-Drive Version' (in NTSC) and 'Masa's Demo Version'... Unfortunately, what was really left out were all tracks in PAL version.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsblade View Post
We have 'Mega-Drive Version' (in NTSC) and 'Masa's Demo Version'... Unfortunately, what was really left out were all tracks in PAL version.
Weren't the tracks on the PAL Sonic 1 & 2 slower than the NTSC versions?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:04 AM

that's the only difference as far as i remember.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
that's the only difference as far as i remember.
You shouldn't say "only"... It's a great difference for those who played it in PAL, believe me =(

At least to me it sounds much better
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:25 AM

shrug. i played the PAL games and now realise they're really botched versions due to a technical restraint. you can probably get them in VGM format if you really want them anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
shrug. i played the PAL games and now realise they're really botched versions due to a technical restraint. you can probably get them in VGM format if you really want them anyway.
You're right. Although it's not the same thing, at least we can get the rips. I'm still happy they released this CD (better than nothing I suppose). However, sometimes great works of art comes out of the blue when someone "wrecks" things up (although NTSC music sometimes seams to be the wrecked one): PAL & NTSC / PAL & NTSC
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:00 PM

The PAL variation is interesting- I have a record collection, and sometimes it is fun to play music at a different RPM than it is recorded for, particularly with electronic music, but in this case I'm sure the composer intended the music for the NTSC speed. There is a certain irony that the PAL version of Sonic is slow, and many PAL users seem to favor it!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:52 PM

As a kid I was also used to the PAL-version of the game - when I first played it on an emulator (the NTSC-version) it was like wtf is with this music? I needed some time to get used to this "superfast" music. Doesn't really bother me that they only release the NTSC-version, though. After all it's the original music as intended by the composer. Or isn't it? I guess we'll find out when we listen to the demo tapes (whatever they may sound like)...
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Cover is up.

And did anyone see this video yet?
http://sonic.sega.jp/20th/enjoy/inde...ntents-enjoy01

I'm curious to know what he's talking about!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:29 AM

After introducing himself, he talks about how Sonic 1 in particular felt like the beginning of a new era, almost like writing music for a movie, and the possibilities afforded by the higher quality sound to write types of music (rock, funk, hip hop) that had not been used in video games before.

That's the quick version. (He throws in a boatload of verbal pauses.)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
After introducing himself, he talks about how Sonic 1 in particular felt like the beginning of a new era, almost like writing music for a movie, and the possibilities afforded by the higher quality sound to write types of music (rock, funk, hip hop) that had not been used in video games before.

That's the quick version. (He throws in a boatload of verbal pauses.)
Yeah I saw that. I'm not a fan of these "big picture" interviews. I wish he would have talked more about the process of writing the music, such as what inspired each track, what type of instrumentation he used, how long he worked on the tracks (i.e. did he labor over the soundtrack for months, or did he throw it together in a few days...) etc...

Also, I just realized that the demo versions of the credit themes are not on the list. Could have been one of the sound programmers that arranged those.

Anyways, only another week before the CD ships!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:17 PM

According to the DCT shop's description, there's going to be an interview in the booklet, in Japanese and English. That may cover the topics you're interested in.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
According to the DCT shop's description, there's going to be an interview in the booklet, in Japanese and English. That may cover the topics you're interested in.
What great news! Do you by any chance have the link to the DCT store? Hopefully this release will put to rest any of the remaining mysteries about Sonic music. Let's hope SEGA does something similar with Sonic 3 & Knuckles to finish it off.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATWART View Post
I wish he would have talked more about the process of writing the music, such as what inspired each track, what type of instrumentation he used, how long he worked on the tracks (i.e. did he labor over the soundtrack for months, or did he throw it together in a few days...) etc...
Well, if you haven't checked it out already, you might be interested in this interview on Sonic Retro:
http://info.sonicretro.org/Masato_Na..._by_Sonic_City

It's a couple of years old, and it doesn't go exactly in all the details regarding each particular track but I for one doubt that the interview on the booklet will, and overall I thought that interview above was quite informative and interesting nevertheless.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:30 AM

It's linked to on the page, but here's another link. It's in Japanese, though. The relevant portion is right above the tracklist in <brackets>.

<Booklet Contents>
- Interview with Masato Nakamura (Japanese/English)
- Comments from Yuji Naka (Japanese/English)
[Explanation of who Naka is]
- Ultra-rare Sonic illustrations from the initial game planning stage, stored away by Masato Nakamura.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
It's linked to on the page, but here's another link. It's in Japanese, though. The relevant portion is right above the tracklist in <brackets>.

<Booklet Contents>
- Interview with Masato Nakamura (Japanese/English)
- Comments from Yuji Naka (Japanese/English)
[Explanation of who Naka is]
- Ultra-rare Sonic illustrations from the initial game planning stage, stored away by Masato Nakamura.
Thanks! Wow --- looks like this is going to be quite a nice release.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:19 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Booklet scans are now up, too.

The demo tracks are quite nice. And the quality of the original tracks are great, too - seems like they used the 60Hz tracks.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:49 PM

I wondered how my booklet scans got here. :P

Thanks for uploading them, Nisto.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Hey, thanks for making them. Hope you didn't mind me uploading them here.

Last edited by Myrkul; Oct 20, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Hey, thanks for making them. Hope you didn't mind me uploading them here.
I honestly completely forgot to put them here. It's usually the first thing I do.

Last edited by Myrkul; Oct 20, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:07 AM

Oil Ocean Zone FTW!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

So anyway, what's up with the double tracklists? Are there any difference between them?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:06 AM

I've accidentally submitted a new one instead of clicking the edit tracklist button. my fault (the submission is still @ pending status).
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There are 2 English tracklists up right now. Are they both the same (and one should be deleted)?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:11 PM

So, ..um, with regards to the cover, would anyone mind providing a higher resolution scan of it? (My personal preference would be 600x600 or greater, but hey, I'm just begging.)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:23 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Just ... who gave credits to the scans ?

We'r not accepting credits that leads to anything illegal.. and the credits were directly pointing to the place where to download the album.
That's definitly a big mistake for such a popular album, so i hope this will not happen again.

The scans are anyway too small, would be good if someone could provide better ones.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

A significant part of this thread has been split into a separate one, so please excuse any discontinuity. (If you feel a post belongs here instead, please let me know).
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:00 AM

FINALLY! Thanks Giga; I was about to PM SS about this.

Now, without the intention of deviating this thread anymore, much less telling you what to do, but I honestly believe that the split thread should have been locked. It's tiring having to witness such trite demonstrations of discourtesy towards others and this community as a whole.

Thanks again, Giga.