VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So, Setsu Taniguchi, who is he? Where does that name come from? Doesn't appear to be a real person, and the booklet only says Taniguchi with no given name.

The reason I'm asking is that:

Which makes eighty billion times more sense.

So yeah, just curious where the hell that came from.

Here are the rest of the music credits from the game by the way:

This just confirms the instrumentalists listed on the final page of the booklet. They all line up, although the booklet additionally credits Masanori Oouchi with bass as well as guitar.

The booklet doesn't give credits for Avetuneiro, as far as I could see. Anyone know who M. Kida is?

The chorus is credited in the booklet as うさぎさん合唱団 (Usagi-san Gasshoudan / Usagi-san Chorus). The members are (in-game name listed first, and then name in the booklet if different):
  • Kazuhito Ogikubo - 荻窪一仁
  • Michiru Yamane - 山根ミチル
  • Takashi Tateishi - 流石野孝 (as Takashi Sasugano; too bad we didn't have these scans sooner because this is more proof they're the same person!)
  • Never
  • Rusamariho
  • I Am Junchan
  • Sayurin - さゆ鈴
  • Kazumi Oikawa - 及川和美
  • MIYATA♥M・I・Y・U・K・I
  • Paco Soeda
  • Junkey Tsuru
  • Mr.
  • Mai A
  • Nayuta Tokashiki
  • Hiroe Noguchi
  • M. Mashan
  • Monkey Funcky
  • Punk Takabō - ぱんく たかぼう
  • Pancho Satou - パンチョ・サトウ
Old Mar 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
So, Setsu Taniguchi, who is he? Where does that name come from? Doesn't appear to be a real person, and the booklet only says Taniguchi with no given name.

So yeah, just curious where the hell that came from.
Excellent work, CHz. I was impressed how this misinformation was spread. It's incredible how many sites reported this name:
http://www.squareenixmusic.com/revie...suikoden.shtml
http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/gensosui/index.html
http://ocremix.org/artist/318/setsu-taniguchi
http://www.gamemusic.net/person.php?id=511
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/data/198843.html

This Setsu Taniguchi's entry absolutely should be deleted or changed for someone.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:17 AM

I wouldn't take that game credits screen as gospel. "Koshi Tamawari" doesn't exist either--it's supposed to be Hiroshi Tamawari.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Although there are no individual credits for the soundtrack, Setsu Taniguchi is known to have composed at least Disc 1 tracks 20, 28 and 29, and Mayuko Kageshita, Disc 1 track 22.
Kageshita also states she composed one more track for a Chinese-styled town, and I guess it's Disc 1 track 18. Could anybody confirm Seika is the only possible location? (Although about 15 years have passed since I played the game, I remember the game's art style was based on the medieval Europe so I assume it's not so hard to specify what town is particularly in Chinese style)
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I wouldn't take that game credits screen as gospel. "Koshi Tamawari" doesn't exist either--it's supposed to be Hiroshi Tamawari.
This is true, there are several people in the credits listed under nicknames, like Paco Soeda instead of Kosuke Soeda.

However, Hirofumi Taniguchi is a former Konami sound team member (he did SFX on Contra III), and he used the nickname "TaniGUCCI" on the complete Moon OST, so there's no possible way that "Tanigucci Hirofumi" is not him.

And none of this explains where the name "Setsu" came from.
Old May 27, 2010, 03:33 PM

So is "Avertuneiro" correct, or is "Avertunerio"? Neither is a misspelling of their source material, but both are different from each other. And I've tried translating this from Italian, Portuguese, and whatever else, but no translator will give me a result for these things, so it's sort of hard to find out, even on Google. Maybe someone who actually knows what this means can say (if there's anyone around here that would even know that).
Old May 27, 2010, 03:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm pretty sure it's exceptionally butchered Portuguese. My theory about that word in particular is that it's supposed to be aventureiro, which means "adventurer." How it ended up that far off, I have no idea.

As for which misspelling is "correct," I think it's supposed to be "Avertuneiro," just because that's appeared on more than one album: the Kentaro Handea collection and Celtic Collection 3 in addition to the OST. "Avertunerio" only appears on that piano collection, as far as I know (I admit I didn't do very extensive searching though).

Here's a full transcription of the lyrics from the booklet:

Quote:
Avertuneiro antes lance mão.
Nossa vida que é Bom não cai.
Ese um die ele cai ir Bem.
De corre antes avertuneiro.
Mas assim lassemo.
Old May 27, 2010, 04:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I'm pretty sure it's exceptionally butchered Portuguese. My theory about that word in particular is that it's supposed to be aventureiro, which means "adventurer." How it ended up that far off, I have no idea.
You are 100% right (I'm from Brazil). The lyrics makes absolutely no sense.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:29 PM

So basically I'm looking for an answer that doesn't even matter. Awesome.

Thanks, both of you.

EDIT: Just fixed another awesome butchering of this word in the Japanese tracklist (Avertuneior). I guess nobody likes this word.

Last edited by Medina; May 27, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 05:56 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So this got added without comment:
Quote:
Tappy: 1.5, 1.9, 1.15, 2.12, 2.13
Is this known and verified?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 08:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

"Beautiful Golden City" and "Rock Rockland" are credited to him in other Suikoden albums. I don't know about the other tracks.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:52 PM

Well, as far as I remember he had MIDIs of "Touching Theme", and both Headquarter themes on his official website, but you can't access it currently.

http://tappy.applet.jp/top.html
Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:51 PM

2.19 should also be credited to Iwase, as it's just a reprise of Beautiful Golden City.

Also, 1.18 belongs to Mayuko Kageshita as per the liner notes.

And the following are Higashino's compositions, based on cross-referencing other Suikoden albums in which credits are given:

1.01, 1.03, 1.10, 1.13, 1.17
2.04, 2.06, 2.17, 2.18, 2.22, 2.23

(if requested, I can list the albums for which each of these is confirmed; the information is all here at vgmdb)

*Seems to appear on the 2nd piano collection; but the credits of that album may not be accurate as Taniguchi isn't credited for his composition.

Lastly, 1.07 is Hiroshi Tamawari's work. No source here, I just know his style and anyone who has listened to Vandal Hearts as obsessively as I have won't argue. However, this track does feature Higashino's main theme in arranged form.

Anyway, I WAS working on a track breakdown like those I've done for Breath of Fire I & III, and Hototogisu Ran but seems we've covered most of it already.

EDIT: Fixed a mistake...

Last edited by Jormungand; Dec 15, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 08:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Well, as far as I remember he had MIDIs of "Touching Theme", and both Headquarter themes on his official website, but you can't access it currently.

http://tappy.applet.jp/top.html
I could access an archived version of the page and fortunately the 3 MIDI files from Suikoden are still online:

http://tappy.applet.jp/midi/lecnart1.mid (Touching Theme, disc 1 track 9)
http://tappy.applet.jp/midi/vil3.mid (A Glorious Fortress Near the Water, disc 2 track 13)
http://tappy.applet.jp/midi/vil4.mid (Rock Rockland, disc 1 track 15)
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:23 PM

Cool, nice found, Zanasea. So this means he is the official composer of those tunes? "Rock Rockland" was already confirmed, but the others not.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Composer cheat sheet, brackets are the sources:

101 Miki Higashino [GS Hiroyuki Namba, GS Kentaro Haneda]
102 ??? (either Tappy or Hiroshi Tamawari) [GS2 reprise] / Miki Higashino [Don*]
103 ??? Miki Higashino [GS Kentaro Haneda] / Tappy [Don*]
105 Tappy [GS Vocal, Don*]
107 Hiroshi Tamawari [Don*]
109 Tappy [Midi on his site, Don*]
111 Tappy [Don*]
112 Miki Higashino [GS2 reprise 116] / Tappy [Don*]
113 ? (not by Higashino, either Tappy or Hiroshi Tamawari?) [GS2 reprise] / Tappy [Don*]
114 Miki Higashino [GS4 JASRAC, GS2 reprise]
115 Tappy [GS Hiroyuki Namba, midi on his site]
116 Miki Higashino [GSuikogaiden 2 reprise]
117 Miki Higashino [GS Kentaro Haneda]
118 Mayuko Kageshita [GS1 Liner notes]
120 ??? Taniguchi [GS1 Liner Notes] / Tappy, Kageshita [Don*]
122 Mayuko Kageshita [GS1 Liner Notes]
128 Taniguchi [GS1 Liner Notes, Don*]
129 Taniguchi [GS1 Liner Notes, Don*]
201 Tappy [Don*]
203 Tappy [Don*]
204 Miki Higashino [GS Kentaro Haneda]
206 Miki Higashino [GS Hiroyuki Namba]
208 Tappy [Don*]
213 Tappy [Midi on his site]
215 Miki Higashino [Melody of Legend - Chapter of Love]
217 Miki Higashino [GS Vocal]
218 Miki Higashino [GS2 reprise]
219 Tappy [Don*]
221 Hiroshi Tamawari ["Tama-dator" nickname, Don*]
222 Miki Higashino [GS2 reprise]
223 Miki Higashino [GS1]
REST: Miki Higashino [Don*]
* From correspondence, but marked as "Probably it is correct."

Arranged tracks (the arrangements may be by others)
102 106 107 201 202 211 228 - Miki Higashino [main theme, 101]
212 224 - Tappy [related to 213]
219 - Tappy [related to 105]

- 128 TAPPY [GS3 JASRAC], Taniguchi [GS4 JASRAC], Miki Higashino [JASRAC etc] <-- W.T.F. (Taniguchi should prevail due to liner notes info)
- Some tracks are reprised in GS2. Those confirmed *not* by Higashino aren't credited to her, so the rest should be her's.
(GS2 track 216 sounds slightly like GS1 113 but I don't think it's enough to disprove this)
- 102 is credited in GS4 JASRAC to Higashino, but maybe it's due to the main theme, dunno.
- Taniguchi and Kageshita only wrote the ones listed above, according to the liner notes.
- Tappy's midis(archived), confirms composition
- Hiroshi Tamawari's old site (archived) confirms he did compose/arrange/manipulate 5 tracks:
Spoiler:
幻想水滸伝(KONAMI)
Genso-Suikoden
Sound Track: KING RECORDS KICA-7696〜7697(2枚組)
 作曲・編曲・マニピュレート(5曲のみ)

Last edited by Dag; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Jormurgand also posted, but I couldn't confirm:
105 Miki Higashino[*]
Whoops, that shouldn't be there... 105 is Iwase.

What I meant to write was 103, which, like 101, shows up on the Kentaro Henda album.
Quote:
110 Miki Higashino[*]
You're correct--piano collection #2.

Quote:
222 Miki Higashino
Also reused in GS2.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I've tweaked slightly the list above and credits a bit based on this:
- Hiroshi Tamawari's old site confirms he did compose/arrange/manipulate 5 tracks. Speculate away!
- Higashino's GS2 OSTs *don't* credit to her (or anybody...) arranges of reprised GS1 tracks (ex 1-05) that are confirmed as composed by others. Thus returning tracks in GS2 should be by her.
Returning tracks with unknown composer are 102, 113 (I may have missed other reprises tho).
- 102 isn't credited in GS2 as arranged, but was in JASRAC, maybe because of quoted main theme.

I haven't included 105, 110 since GS Piano 2 current page is incorrect (booklet doesn't have any composer credits)

Also some translation questions, if somebody wants to help (trying to clean up/sync Suikoden albums here...)
- 128 should be translated as Narcissist's Theme, use that or keep the more familiar "Theme of Narcissism"?
- GS1/GS2 use the format ' From Event "x" ' while GS5 uses ' From "x" Event ', which one sounds more correct/natural?

Last edited by Dag; Dec 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=Dag;25822]I've tweaked slightly the list above and credits a bit based on this:
- Hiroshi Tamawari's old site confirms he did compose/arrange/manipulate 5 tracks. Speculate away!

The last time I looked at his site, I was under the impression he was the synthesizer manipulator for the whole game? Anyway...

107 Fly, Black! -Black Takes Flight-
(Composed & Arranged, based on Higashino's main theme)
The really obvious one. It's very much his style.

116 Theme Of Tension (Ensemble Version) -Attack on the Liberation Army's Hideout-
(Composed & Arranged)

221 Theme Of Tension, Tama-dator -Escape-
(Composed & Arranged)
Tama is Hiroshi Tamawari's nickname as evidence by his official site.

I think that's all as far as direct composition. I still believe his main responsibility for this soundtrack was more as a synthesizer manipulator. That said, the other two tracks he was involved with as an arranger is anyone's guess. There are the tons of Higashino's tracks that heavily sample, there's the guitar arrangements, etc. I don't sense his style anywhere else in particular.

But believe me about 107
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:40 AM

Interesting addition to ^: 116 Theme Of Tension (Ensemble Version) is actually featured KMCA-97 Genso Suikogaiden Vol.2 Last Duel at the Crystal Valley Original Soundtrack as the track "Escape". This album attributes all music composition to Miki Higashino. Is this an inconsistency, or did Miki Higashino actually compose this track and not Hiroshi Tamawari?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:15 PM

Event X sounds more natural
From Event Black takes filght
From Black takes flight event

Probably best to also add some blocking like a colon or -/~. From Event: Black takes flight, From Event - Black takes flight, From Event ~ Black takes flight.

As for 128, I like Narcissist's Theme, but on the other hand most other themes are written as Theme of (blank). So it is either nicer naming or keeping to a standard.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 01:34 PM

Changed the title... all Suikoden soundtracks write the title as GENSOSUIKODEN if not 幻想水滸伝. I don't think this one is an exception despite the little symbol in between the two words. Still, even if we don't want to keep this spelling here, I think we should do it to the other soundtracks. Check and you'll see that the other ones don't space the two words.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:14 AM

My personal guesses for Hiroshi Tamawari's contributions are 1.07 (Jormungand's guess), 2.21 (Tama-dator may refer to his last name), 1.13, 2.03 and 2.20, which feature a similar style like 2.21 and are all arrangements of the same motif heard in 1.13.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:44 AM

The liner notes section names MAYUKO KAGESHITA and then (__ KAGE) under it. I can't figure out the kanji that go in the __. The best I've been able to come up with is

通祢

but I don't think that's it. I really want to know what the kanji actually are, and what the heck that's all about. No amount of googling or trying to draw the kanji or trying to use radicals has helped me, and after a little over an hour I'm just pretty fed up with searching. I'd really appreciate some help with this.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:52 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It's 通称, which just means "alias" or "nickname." Nothing to get excited about.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:07 AM

...you mean it's nothing top secret? Ah well. Thanks for the help.

(I got the first kanji by myself )
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:29 PM

Are the credits for Melody Of Legend ~ Chapter of Love sufficient evidence that Higashino composed "An Old Irish Song"?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well spotted, 116 too (makes sense 116 would be by Higashino and the other version by Tama(wari)-dator)

I noticed 112 Penpe was reprised in GS2 as..... Penpe2. So there goes another one.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Are the credits for Melody Of Legend ~ Chapter of Love sufficient evidence that Higashino composed "An Old Irish Song"?
An Old Irish Song is indeed Higashino's composition. Confirmed by her via our email discussions.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
An Old Irish Song is indeed Higashino's composition. Confirmed by her via our email discussions.
Are there any other confirmations from her beside that one, Don?