VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Blue View Post
It was confirmed in the guide books that he didn't compose for Link's Awakening, but only did sound effects and sound programming.
He definitely composed as well, the opening area track is nearly a verbatim copy of the overworld track for Kaeru no Tame which had only Totaka as sound staff. So again "sound programming" doesn't exclude composing/arranging.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:57 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:01 PM

It goes far beyond that though. Totaka's song is in the game, Richard is a Kaeru no Tame cameo with arranged music for his house, and if you listen to the Kaeru no Tame soundtrack you'll note distinct similarities with a lot of minor LA tracks (e.g. most of the different inside house themes) which are themselves quite different from the rest of the LA soundtrack. But whatever floats your boat...

Last edited by Datschge; Nov 17, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:03 AM

yeah i'm not convinced that totaka did "no music" for the game. his principle role might have been sound design but that doesn't exclude the possibility of working on songs as well.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:30 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:10 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:40 AM

With any luck that means he's leading the Wii U zelda.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:08 PM

think I was able to pick out a bunch of his songs in Skyward Sword. wish I knew more about the composer roles on that game though.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:35 PM

I may not be telling you anything new, but it seems from the Iwata Asks interviews that he and Shiho Fuji did everything outside the cutscene music and Kondo's one piece. I haven't played the game yet or listened to the music though.

I'm eager to hear Pikmin 3, even though he's credited third of three. From YouTube video of the first two game days it seems very true to the Pikmin style, even if perhaps he didn't write those pieces. I think concluding he only did the main theme and ending music is a bit pessimistic though. If it's like Pikmin 2, there's probably a lot of music and three people could each do a fair bit. Definitely agreed with Guitarist500 that he needs to do more though. I wouldn't hold my breath for it because I don't know if we're that lucky, but I sure hope he does take the lead on the next big Zelda again. Nintendo Land has his fingerprints all over it though.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:15 PM

Yeah, I'm fairly certain Wakai did all of the battle music and most if not all of the field and dungeon themes. I think he also did the variable shop music.

The short orchestral interludes as well as the flight theme sound very much like Yokota's work, although I think Wakai arranged the flight theme for that annoying minigame.

I don't know anything about Fuji or the other guy. One of them probably did the village theme which is a little too, err, normal? to be Wakai.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The pertinent part from the Iwata Asks interview that _if mentioned is this:

Quote:
Iwata: From your point of view, what was the challenge this time with regard to the music?

Wakai: The orchestra. It wasn't entirely new because of the Tokyo Software Development Department's experience with games like Super Mario Galaxy, but I think this was the first time for EAD in Kyoto to use an orchestra.

Iwata: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess did partially feature orchestral music, but that part was done by the Tokyo Software Development Department, too.

Wakai: So without any know-how, it was quite a challenge.

Iwata: Did you receive any advice from Tokyo Software Development Department?

Wakai: Yes. (Mahito) Yokota-san, who knows a lot about orchestral music, is there, one other staff member came on board, and we asked the Tokyo Software Development Department to be in charge of a number of music for cinematic scenes, as well as making arrangements related to recording the orchestra. In Kyoto, we focused on other music in the game.
The "other staff member" is probably Takeshi Hama, as I'm pretty sure Shiho Fujii is part of the Kyoto studio based on her other games (NSMB series, AC: City Folk, Wii Fit). Figuring out what internal departments people are a part of when there are collaborations and transfers is a pain, man.

So that's Koji Kondo writing the opening movie theme only, Yokota & Hama on cutscenes and orchestration, and Wakai & Fujii doing the other music. With maybe some overlap in the last two groups (Wakai says "a number" of cutscene music, not all of it).

EDIT: Whoops, read too much into "arrangements related to recording the orchestra." Thought he was referring to orchestration, but now that I'm actually reading every single word he's probably talking about booking/studios/etc.

Last edited by CHz; Jul 31, 2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:43 PM
Trusted Editor

interesting stuff. and you would think it being done by an orchestra (which Nintendo has been obsessed with the last few years), it would have garnered an OST release, but nope..
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:39 AM

Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:42 AM

Old Oct 21, 2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
What songs do you think he wrote?
Faron Woods stuff (Kikwi songs in particular), Girahnim battle songs, Midboss battle, Koloktos battle... I didn't go through all the songs and guess extensively, there's surely others, those stick out to me though, based on his other game soundtracks.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:21 AM
Trusted Editor

i'm also fairly sure Wakai did most of the battle themes for the game. some of them sound like they come straight from Star Fox 64.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:23 AM

Exactly my logic, yeah. To be technical, his use of quartals/suspended chords is rife in both instances.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 07:12 PM

Soo...I don't know if anyone has heard of this yet, but, there is going to be a new Star Fox Title coming this Year for the Wii U. What are the chances of Hajime Wakai returning to do the Score for it?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:24 PM
Trusted Editor

pretty high. he's either doing that or working on Zelda Wii U.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:31 PM

Or hey! Maybe even both.

I really hope that Mr. Wakai brings in a new level of creativity.
I just love his Highly progressive, Complex Orchestral writing in Star Fox 64!
And plus...it had lots of variety, as well! I have no issues with listening to the OST multiple times in a single day.
That just proves Hajime Wakai is ONE of Nintendo Best Orchestral Composers.
I think the use of a real Orchestra will definitely bring out the true emotion within the Music that MIDI will never be able to do.
But! ...Then again...using MIDI can offer the speed and tension needed for intense and dramatic situations in the Game.
I want the Music to progress along with the Game, too.
With looped tracks, you have to make sure to cram everything you wish to express into one loop.
To me, IMHO, I think that would sound too subdued or a bit stagnant!
If you allow the music to change as the game progresses, you can change the content of your expressions for each individual scene.
I also think that there should be a Good amount of length to the songs, as well.
I want fun, exciting, interesting Orchestral Music that tells a strong story.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Red Blazer; Jan 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 03:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Maybe I'm just "old school", but I prefer well produced MIDI over generic orchestral/symphonic sounds.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 04:11 PM

Oh! Don't get me wrong, Dissident, I'm all for "Old-School", as well.
Hell, majority of the Music on my Digital Player is MIDI produced Music.
But, MAAAN, well produced MIDI can sound absolutely AMAZING.
The best example I can give you is Basiscape. They fool me a lot with their Sound samples. LOL :P
I guess what I'm trying to say is I have nothing against MIDI at all.
But, I, however, have something against Symphonic. Simply put, it sounds waay to slow, boring and cinematic for my taste. And there is also a lack of unique-ness to it, just my two cents. No offense to Symphonic lovers out there... :P

Dissident, what I'm ultimately saying is this: If I have to choose between MIDI and Orchestral/Symphonic...I'd say I have to go with MIDI. Simply because of the Speed, Tension and the unique sounds that we all know and love about Video Game Music.
Also note, I am not trying to say that EVERY single song should be fast. Sometimes slow and small ensemble songs can be great! (Just listen to Aquas and Zoness from Star Fox 64 OST)

Sorry for blabbering on and on, Dissident. LOL :P I really hope you understand what I'm saying here.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 02:38 PM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 07:12 AM

Why do we miss things like this? While it's far from definitive proof, it certainly helps make the case for Wakai's involvement on Zelda U:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwata Asks
Mizuta: For about the first one year and a half, composer (Hajime) Wakai-san and I prepared instrumentation and made a general sound base.

Iwata: I plan to have Wakai-san participate next time. He worked on pulling together the overall sound for this game.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interv...ward-sword/4/0

If you read on a bit, another interesting piece of information emerges: Wakai and Masato Mizuta (sound effects) had always intended to handle the majority of the game's sound themselves. But after that first year and a half, they realized it was too much to do on their own, so they asked Kondo to hire more staff.

At the same time, as I continue to research Skyward Sword's music (from what little there is in the way of factual evidence), the less music Wakai seems to have done himself. I always wondered why, if he had worked on the game for 3 years altogether, he would have done so little composition. The answer seems to be implied in Mizuta's response: they were busy with synthesizer programming and music planning. Surely Wakai had already been fooling around with reversing Zelda's Theme during that time, and had been composing. However, it could be that he either didn't start the majority of his composing role till after his work with Mizuta had concluded, or finished his contributions and then spent the latter part of the game's development directing, mixing, and doing whatever else with the other three composers' music.

Last edited by Jormungand; Sep 13, 2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I might well be mistaken on this and I hope not to come across as dismissive in making the observation, but I'm wondering if Iwata's comment there was to indicate that he planned to have Wakai participate in the next Iwata Asks for Skyward Sword, rather than necessarily on the next Zelda game. I consider this possibility only in light of Wakai's appearance in volume 6 of that series of interviews--the one following the volume posted, which could represent the "next time" Iwata talks about--and because Iwata's comment seemed to be made in the Q&A at a point during which the context for a discussion on sound design was being set, before discussions on finer points got underway. This inspired a thought in me that Iwata intended to set as context in volume 5's talk of sound design--a talk that lacked Wakai's input, despite his prominent role in that area--that he would invite Wakai's participation in the next volume (volume 6) in order to achieve insights that his absence on volume 5 could possibly preclude. Or something like that.

But I could well be wrong, and I kind of just wanted to bring the point up just in case. So I still think Iwata's snippet was a good thing to highlight and it remains a case for his involvement in Zelda U.

Last edited by Uppa; Sep 13, 2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppa View Post
But I could well be wrong, and I kind of just wanted to bring the point up just in case. So I still think Iwata's snippet was a good thing to highlight and it remains a case for his involvement in Zelda U.
But you could be right! In any event, we won't have to wait much longer. Perhaps bombarding facebook or twitter with requests that Nintendo clarify music roles over the next several months will inspire them to provide more information during whatever replaces Iwata Asks. If anything does at all. Truthfully, it can't be replaced, nor can Iwata.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 03:35 PM

I'd like some clarification on Hajime Wakai's role on Pikmin 2: sole composer or co-composer--and if co-composer, how much did he do?

From the staff credits Totaka is listed as 'Sound Director' while Wakai is listed under 'Music' (by himself).

The Pikmin 2 article on Wikipedia states that "Hajime Wakai composed the game soundtrack while Kazumi Totaka worked as the sound director;"

The Pikmin wiki states: The composer of both Pikmin and Pikmin 2's music' is Hajime Wakai.

VGMO's Wakai article states: "In 2004, Wakai returned to score Pikmin 2 alongside Kazumi Totaka."
Old Sep 28, 2015, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

First time I'm ever hearing Pikmin 2's soundtrack being attributed to Totaka too. It's been a while since the last time I listened to the score in full but I don't recall ever thinking any of it was written by anyone besides Wakai.

There's an interview here with Totaka and Wakai that may or may not clarify things, if someone who isn't a scrub at Japanese wants to take a look at it: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0405/1_2/
Old Sep 29, 2015, 02:46 PM
Trusted Editor

Hasn't Totaka been credited as sound director in other games, and it turned out that he did a few tracks? I wouldn't doubt Totaka could have done something for Pikmin 2, but it's still primarily Wakai's work.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 03:48 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Animal Crossing series! It's not just a Totaka thing, but a Nintendo thing that people who aren't credited with music, particularly sound directors, write music too. I still tend to take their credits at face value until proven otherwise because it doesn't happen super often (at least that we know about), but it's definitely a thing yeah.

I didn't mean to imply that Totaka's involvement was impossible, just that this is seriously the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest it.

Tags
hajime wankai