VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Re: Top Album Statistics

Any chance we can add the functionality for the Top Album Statistics to not just display aggregated stats, but also filtering for each album category (i.e. Official Release, Enclosure / Promo, Doujin, Works, Game Animation & Film, Demo Scene, Bootleg, Other). Would be cool to see breakdowns on the other categories without Official Releases getting in the way.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I could come up with all kinds of stats, but I mostly tried to stick with a small manageable set of useful statistics. What you mentioned sounds interesting though. Perhaps I should think about a way to generate user-customizable stats and top lists.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

I too would definitely like to see more in-depth stats made available on the stats page. What Liontamer mentioned would be neat, as would longer lists of the different stats already available (e.g a "more" link could be added).
Old Mar 30, 2008, 06:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So what else would everyone like to see besides Classification filtering and the capability to browse the full top lists?

I was thinking of adding some more primary or secondary stats such as label count and weblink count, as well as a few more submission statistics. Also, the top and bottom rated artists would be interesting to look at, particularly since it's a derived stat.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've added paginated browsing to all the lists (which ended up being a lot more of a pain than I thought.) The only thing that I'm dissatisfied about is that the 30-day window album views is a bit slow to load (1.34 sec), but that's because it's got to count a couple hundred thousand views instead of 20. Maybe there's a clever way to fix that.

I'll be thinking about the classifications next, and about adding more stats (possibly expanding to 2 or 3 pages.)
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:31 AM
VGMdb Staff

For some reason the entry id numbers are left out of the links on the " Most Frequently Viewed Albums (Last 30 Days)" list now, SS.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:34 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oops, sorry about that. I was playing around with ways to try to speed up that query. The links work now.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:46 AM
VGMdb Staff

Would increasing the number of entries on each list be worthwhile as far as search times are concerned? Perhaps top-100, top-150 instead of top-20? It would limit some people to perhaps only one search instead of 5-6, and at the same time giving them a better view of the top-100, or whatever they might be interested in.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

In general, if it means the user loads less pages, then yes since the slow part is counting the view table, not adding the album info afterwards. To be honest, I really don't know how everyone else uses these. If we went with top 100, do we even need the pagination?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

I reckon most people would be content with a limited number, like 100. Anyone else got any thoughts on this?