VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Organization Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:37 PM

> Fusion between avex entertainment and avex marketing

avex entertainment (logo), AVEX ENTERTAIMENT INC., and AVEX MARKETING INC. all still exist past April 1, so I don't see how this can be a fusion of them.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 07:03 PM

proof of existence? you won't find any
stuff released by avex entertainment are released by avex pictures now

the only thing I can't be sure is if avex mode label will still continue (for one piece and initial d releases iirc)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 02:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Got an email from CDJapan about avex pictures, just thought someone might be interested.
It also applies to albums by the DIVE II label and distributed by avex pictures.

Quote:
Hello.

We are sending this notification to customers who have recently purchased anime titles.

Unfortunately, Avex Pictures, the publisher of popular anime titles such as "Yuri!!! on Ice" and "Osomatsu-san" and others is restricting exports of Blu-ray, DVD, and CD titles.

This restriction has been applied to all online shops within Japan, including CDJapan.

In accordance to the restriction, majority of titles published by Avex Pictures will become unavailable for shipment outside of Japan as of the following time.

Restriction begins to apply at:
6:00PM (Japan Time UTC+9) on February 15, 2017

After the above indicated time, it will no longer be available for any order to be shipped outside of Japan.

To clarify which items will be restricted, the following indication will be displayed right on the product page.

ATTENTION!!! This product will no longer be available for any order to be shipped outside of Japan starting at 6:00PM (Japan Time UTC+9) on February 15, 2017

However, all existing orders as well as all orders placed BEFORE the above indicated time will be shipped normally.
So yeah, if you're planning to get something by avex pictures from CDJapan be sure to order it in the next ~20 hours.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 02:47 AM
VGMdb Staff

I wonder what stupid executive thinks that it's a good idea to restrict sales to Japan-only. Profit is profit, regardless of where it comes from.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 03:01 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Makes no sense to me. I can understand if a small company doesn't want to offer overseas shipping because of logistic problems, but a big company like avex? No idea, unless they're planning to open an exclusive online store themselves.

Also just checked on Amazon JP and they're already applying the restriction, trying to order something from avex (tried a bd and a couple singles) will give you the usual "Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address." error.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 07:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

They already have their own online shop (mu-mo), but it doesn't have any options for overseas shipping if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:14 AM

I am wondering does this apply to other stuff by Avex or just stuff related to Avex Pictures?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andvari View Post
I am wondering does this apply to other stuff by Avex or just stuff related to Avex Pictures?
The ban applies to all of avex's subsidiaries and imprints. Not just Pictures.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 02:08 PM

Yeah that really sucks. I wonder if it also applies to Avalon/Marquee since their part of Avex they put out HR/HM stuff? Well I guess it's time for a middleman.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
The ban applies to all of avex's subsidiaries and imprints. Not just Pictures.
CDJapan has said it doesn't extend beyond avex pictures inc., specifically mentioning that avex trax is unaffected (because it would be avex music creative inc.)

P.S.:
At this time yesterday, I could find a lot of releases which weren't marked as being impacted, but at this time today, ALL of the releases I had bookmarked are now marked "Shipping Within Japan Only"

I would be VERY curious if anybody can find any releases from avex pictures inc. that CDJapan isn't listing as publisher restricted.

I figured Initial D would be a decent starting point, especially since it didn't always release from avex mode (which is now avex pictures inc.'s). At this time, I see this:
* http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EYCA-10764 - banned (expected)
* http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/AVCT-15000 - banned (but out of print. also the English description describes a different product so this may be a mistake nobody cares about)
* http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/AVCT-10197 - NOT banned (yet?)

Last edited by yindesu; Feb 15, 2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yindesu View Post
CDJapan has said it doesn't extend beyond avex pictures inc., specifically mentioning that avex trax is unaffected (because it would be avex music creative inc.)
I'm not sure about CDJ, but Amazon is blocking more than avex pictures. I tried CDs from avex trax and avex classics and both were geo-restricted.

Last edited by cal; Feb 16, 2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure about CDJ, but Amazon is blocking more than avex pictures. I tried CDs from avex trax and avex classics and both were geo-restricted.
Amazon supposedly started blocking avex products in December or January, so that's different.

I've since discovered that CDJapan's AVEX PICTURES INC. ban actually applies to some FRAME products.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 09:31 AM

Yeah the Fantasy Life Soundtrack has been blocked how crazy and just stupid.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 02:55 PM

It feels like they are encouraging people to pirate their media. What a boneheaded decision.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 08:24 PM

Well I received an email from CDjapan about all this but this is only speculation and not totally true but seems to make sense. I'll copy and paste it and leave the names out.

Anyway, what I wrote and told you on the phone are just speculations or just my own personal guesses, and it will be best not to post them my response anywhere, because nobody verified that any of them to be true.

However, followings are true, according to what Avex Pictures said in response to comments we sent to them.

1. Production committee owns the show

2. Avex Trax is just a record company that obtained the rights from the committee to market Blu-rays and CDs only within Japan

I made my own guesses (once again not verified) based on these two facts, and I don't want to be held responsible for my guesses.

Apparently, they (not Avex Pictures but the production committee) have sold
all rights to some company in the United States as well as to companies in a
few Asian countries to allow them to market "Yuri!!! on Ice" and other anime
in their countries.

They were unable to and refused to share a lot of details with us, but it
might be that their request to discontinue selling them to customers
overseas came from some legal concerns arising from those companies having
bought all rights (once again, not from Avex Pictures, but the production
committee).

This is all speculation and I don't have any responsibility in this and please do not spread this with other sites or forums I know the people here won't but I'm taking a precaution since this is something relatively big.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 03:07 AM
VGMdb Staff

That's only about Yuri on Ice though? It wouldn't explain why all the other CDs got blocked.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 03:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Was there no official statement released by avex yet? I thought they were gonna at least say something about this whole ordeal.

I just hope they don't end up like Aniplex+ exclusives that are only licensed in a few countries.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 06:45 PM

Am curious though, does this just apply to the apex pictures side of things? It seems like CDs from different branches of avex are fine, but I'm not sure. Can anyone clarify?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 06:48 PM

Nevermind, reading up seems like avex trax is unaffected for CDjapan? Because there's a CD from avex trax I'm kind of interested in getting.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yes, CDJapan seems to still allow stuff other than pictures (avex trax, avex classics, etc.) but those are still banned on other shops like Amazon.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Yes, CDJapan seems to still allow stuff other than pictures (avex trax, avex classics, etc.) but those are still banned on other shops like Amazon.
Alright, thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 06:32 PM

FT Dragon Cry comes out this Saturday in Japan but they still haven't announced the OST, I wonder what's the deal here. :/

EDIT: NVM Looks like is not getting a soundtrack release. Confirmed by Takanashi himself via his FB Page.

Last edited by Zacky; May 3, 2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 04:33 AM
Trusted Editor

@admins, do you think we can get some sort of heads-up indicator on any avex pictures linked product that details the import ban? Something similar to the "Canceled Release" header, maybe?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 05:12 AM

Where are they selling their stuff now? I wanna buy the Kakegurui soundtrack but I can't find a place to buy it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 06:04 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLBGM View Post
Where are they selling their stuff now? I wanna buy the Kakegurui soundtrack but I can't find a place to buy it.
They aren't selling outside of Japan. You'll have to use a proxy service such as Buyee or Tenso.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
They aren't selling outside of Japan. You'll have to use a proxy service such as Buyee or Tenso.
So a digital copy is my only option right?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 06:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

No, I just said you can use a proxy service. They're easy to use and very cheap (the handling fee is only around $1 - or free in some cases).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 07:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
@admins, do you think we can get some sort of heads-up indicator on any avex pictures linked product that details the import ban? Something similar to the "Canceled Release" header, maybe?
^ This. I was going through some releases from last year I wanted to get and I totally forgot about this whole export ban situation.

Also it's really ridiculous that after a year there still isn't an official overseas retailer/shop or anything like that. I guess I'll just make a point to buy everything from avex second hand, as apparently they don't want my money.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 03:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So, what kind of ideas do you guys have for how to display this?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 05:58 PM
Trusted Editor

I'm really open to whatever as long as it's heads-up on the front page (i.e., without having to drill into the Avex label or sublabel). I like the Canceled Release header so I have no problem reusing that format, but if you want to differentiate it somehow (color, size, font) I have no issues with that.