VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 3, 2012, 03:11 AM
Trusted Editor

Arrow Could we list every soundtrack (even with no OST released) for composers.?

In the future, would it be possible to list every game a composer has ever done, and only have pages for the OSTs? I've been asked why a certain composer has not been added yet, and told them it's because they have never had an OST released with that name.

If not in the main tab, then maybe we could use the bio tab to list this? Is there anything stopping us from doing that now, anyway?
Old May 3, 2012, 03:35 AM

All in all, I think we need far more active and passionate editors to archive it, since once we start covering games, then we're asked to cover every game that ever exists. VGMdb's somewhat limited coverage is, while possibly frustrating for some, pretty reasonable in the standpoint of DB management. This is my own view, not the official statement though.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:46 AM

I think with that, we would have to pull the details from somewhere (moby games?) Then link all games with respective platforms which would fill out the platform and game linking aspects we have.

Putting it in the bio would also be a decent idea, but the actual gain which is a bit more info about the composer, and maybe some game linkings doesn't seem to be a very good trade for the amount of time to gather it all. Cause then you have what about the performers, etc.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:30 PM

I believe it's planned.
Products exist: http://vgmdb.net/product/415
I think they were going to have a composer field (and perhaps other fields) on them, and then have a products list on the artist profiles as well.
Old May 3, 2012, 02:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yes, we are going to be able to link products to artists, which will create 1) a list of composers on the game page, and 2) a list of game credits on the composer page. Development won't be too difficult, but first we have to expand and finalize the list of artist roles.

Cedille brings up a good point though, in that we really don't have enough editors to expand the product pages at a timely pace. Keeping up on checking and approving new submissions is also very time consuming. I'm open to adding more trusted editors who want to help out in some of these areas, though they still need to know what they are doing.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I think the main reason products haven't been added so quickly is simply because there's no major benefit to the data right now. Probably the most important thing it does currently is link related albums more efficiently. Nice, but no big deal. However, once you link artists to products, I think it will generate a much larger interest, and the support for the data will pop up.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Plus, once we start linking media to products, we'll finally be able to catalogue redbook audio.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:17 AM

Maybe it's possible to have specific editors supervise changes to the works list of specific artists? Where it's possible someone official could take that job, and for more popular artists (which usually receive the most attention anyway) there surely are diehard fans capable of managing that as well.