VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Artist wiki?

This thread was prompted by the recent deletion of Kinuyo Yamashita's Wikipedia entry.

Should VGMdb take upon the task of hosting such information? Although we have a biography section in artist profiles, it's more geared towards short descriptions rather than full length articles. A better solution would be to have a separate tab powered by proper wiki software.

This, however, would come with the extra burden of moderating and maintaining editorial standards and source attribution. Plus, there needs to be sufficient interest to make this happen in the first place!

What do you think?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:42 AM

Aah, good old wiki drama.

I like the idea, it certainly wouldn't hurt to provide more information about artists. Using Mediawiki or something would be a nice way of doing so.
So, as long as we don't end up with drama like Wikipedia I support it. I never quite understood their standards for notability, things like wikis are useful because they can afford to publish information about less 'notable' things. I mean, you do want to draw the line somewhere, but they don't seem to know where.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 07:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

In my humble opinion, I don't know why care much about this deletion of Kinuyo Yamashita's Wikipedia entry, since the English Wikipedia has never been a reliable source (at least for japanese game music). We have had several examples of misinformation in the past. And the S.S.T. Band page was a complete mess.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that Wikipedia's rules are not suitable for most entertainment information. While it's important to keep trivia to a minimum, Wikipedia's notability rules are just too strict. While I can't comment on the other genres, I believe that Video Gaming and Video Game Music (as well as Anime and Anime Music) should probably only be minimally covered on Wiki.

These forms of entertainment should migrate to a new wiki (or wikis) with a new more appropriate set of rules, where official publication of a work is sufficient for notability. The fan communities should also abandon Wikipedia as an outlet for their enthusiasm. Let Wikipedia cover the games and game composers that have impacted society as a whole, and leave the minutia to the new wiki.

As for hosting this wiki here, we could do this, but is this the right place for it? It seems that the logical "chunk" for a contiguous wiki is (Games, Game Music, Anime, Anime Music), and we ultimately don't cover all of that. Some collaboration is probably needed, but I'm not sure who with. Mobygames perhaps on the game side? There's probably someone on the Anime side as well.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:05 AM
VGMdb Staff

I think the artist pages are sufficient for at least the vast majority of artists, since we aren't likely to know a whole lot about them in the first place - and at least personally I tend to be satisfied with some basic statistical information and external links.

I'm not sure if this kind of deletion from wikipedia is common or not, but if it continues we might want to think of changing our policy regarding the biography field (maybe a design change?) in order to fill wikipedia's place.

Last edited by seanne; Feb 16, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:52 AM

That kind of deletion policy is very common on the German wikipedia and seems to spread from there.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:12 AM

Once single tracks could get their own (original/arranged) ID digital releases could be assembled using those IDs, making it also easier to look up which tracks were reused in what digital and (if any) physical releases.
Are you worried about 650-987 exam exam prep and EMC practice test? Check out our latest resources for Yale University dumps and Alcorn State University questions for practice with definite guarantee of pmi training.