VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 8, 2016, 04:17 PM

Default Personal Songs that don't get much love

It is a labor of love when you make your VG Music. It's sometimes sad when something you think sounds good doesn't get much attention, Be it because of the game's obscurity or not.

Post that song here, I want to hear them.

This one will be my first song I post:
Lagoon Remix I- Trancing in the Shadows
This one didn't get much love, idk if no one knows the game or what. I just gave it a remaster and redid the instruments in order to make it sound more updated from it's original.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 08:29 AM

I like it! I can definitely relate; sometimes there just seems to be poor overlap between my audience and a particular game soundtrack that I personally treasure. In the case of your track, I've never played Lagoon, so I wouldn't think to click on a remix from that game.

I have a few such remixes that I think didn't get the attention they deserved.

One such work for me is a Lolo 3 remix: https://soundcloud.com/docnano/the-eggerlander-march-2

Another is a bluegrass cover of the Aveh theme from Xenogears: (admittedly a strange combination): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6GU5wbDuw
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:18 AM

The LOLO3 theme is very good.. though I must ask where did you get your realistic instruments?
I suppose its my turn again. I am surprised that this didn't get much attention:
Legendary Wings Overture Expanded

Last edited by VGMRMissCoriel; Mar 13, 2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 01:51 PM

I like the Legendary Wings remix too, particularly where you layer the chiptunes on top of the orchestral stuff.

For the Lolo 3 remix, I used EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, Silver Edition. It was expensive (by my standards), but the higher sample quality makes a big difference for orchestral tracks.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 07:16 PM

The Legendary Wings overworld theme was a particular favorite of mine, and I love hearing arrangements of it. Good job!

Ironically, the only part I didn't like was the layering of chipmusic on it. To each his own, I guess. ^_^

That Lolo 3 arrangement is very well done! You should make a cover album, docnano.

Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster; Mar 13, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 07:32 PM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by docnano View Post
I like the Legendary Wings remix too, particularly where you layer the chiptunes on top of the orchestral stuff.

For the Lolo 3 remix, I used EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, Silver Edition. It was expensive (by my standards), but the higher sample quality makes a big difference for orchestral tracks.
I'd consider getting East West, but it can be a royal pain using large sample libraries with multiple articulations...

Personally, I am waiting for physical modeling technology to replace it...in some cases, it is already far better. If and when samplemodeling.com comes out with a string section, I think string samples may end up dead...

Check out their trumpet library for example...unbelievable...if they can do that with strings I'll be stoked.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:17 PM

silver is discontinued it seems and the rest is $500-$1000 DX
I guess i will keep going as is x3.
It's cool on your opinion jedi, I actually have a version without it
Legendary Wings Ovature
I don't know why this one hasn't had any love, I put some decent effort in it.
TMNT II - Technodrome Nightclubbing Mix
Old Mar 14, 2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMRMissCoriel View Post
silver is discontinued it seems and the rest is $500-$1000 DX
I guess i will keep going as is x3.
It's a shame they discontinued Silver; it was a more affordable (though still ~$400) alternative to the more complete libraries. Then again, I've been using it for a few years without feeling the need to upgrade, so maybe I'm part of the reason they discontinued it. :-P

As a long-time band geek, poor samples in an orchestral mix are really a dealbreaker for me. There MUST be some reasonable, cheaper alternatives out there if you want to delve more deeply into orchestral work. I've heard some praise for Project SAM Orchestral Essentials but that's still $349.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Paladin View Post
I'd consider getting East West, but it can be a royal pain using large sample libraries with multiple articulations...

Personally, I am waiting for physical modeling technology to replace it...in some cases, it is already far better. If and when samplemodeling.com comes out with a string section, I think string samples may end up dead...

Check out their trumpet library for example...unbelievable...if they can do that with strings I'll be stoked.
A pain, yes, though keyswitching definitely helps a lot. I'd much rather be able to tap at my keyboard naturally and have the VST produce the appropriate articulation and timbre based on velocity and envelope settings. Perhaps physical modeling could fit the bill in the future (nice trumpet sound indeed!).

It sounds computationally intensive though; do you know if it's feasible to have dozens of such physically modeled instruments running simultaneously on one decently powered PC? If not, we may need to wait for computing power to catch up with the demands of the technology, or otherwise render individual tracks one-at-a-time (also a pain).

Last edited by docnano; Mar 14, 2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
It sounds computationally intensive though; do you know if it's feasible to have dozens of such physically modeled instruments running simultaneously on one decently powered PC? If not, we may need to wait for computing power to catch up with the demands of the technology, or otherwise render individual tracks one-at-a-time (also a pain).
I have quite a lot of physical modeling VSTi's, also including some by Applied Acoustics. Chromophone is actually a lot more CPU intensive than the Trumpet and Trombone modeling plugs I use, and I can have 7-8 of the brass plugins running at once before I notice problems. But that is because I use a low buffer size for lower latency when recording...

My CPU is an AMD quad core, not the best either, so while I am sure other CPU's can handle more, you can always freeze/bounce tracks when the count gets too high.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:20 AM

Project SAM seems to be more in my scope.. I have to beg the others for it though x3
right now I have 1GB worth of soundfonts i collected since i started using my current DAW
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Project SAM seems to be more in my scope.. I have to beg the others for it though x3
right now I have 1GB worth of soundfonts i collected since i started using my current DAW
Project SAM's stuff isn't a slouch, I've used it before, and very usable. I just resolved a number years ago to avoid large sample libraries after I started seeing the potential of physical modeling.

I guess the downside for me is the vast amount of storage space they take up, as well as how long it takes to reinstall all those massive libraries if your HD ever crashes...No fun at all.

That's not to say that sample libraries are useless. For drums, piano, guitar, or anything that is more percussive in it's attack I'd say they are about as realistic and practical as it gets...fast attacks and decays makes for easy authenticity when capturing the instruments. But for strings, brass, or anything that can do dynamic swells, I'd say the solution lies elsewhere. Simply drawing a volume control isn't enough to emulate the timbrel changes that an instrument undergoes as you play it at different levels loudness--even if your sample library crossfades between samples as you increase the volume, it's still not as natural.

Now soundfonts...I can remember when those things were the absolute pinnacle of musical technology...when a 2 MB soundbank seemed like it was ginormous....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 01:26 PM

Soundfonts are useful. I actually use a Famicom Soundfont to help shape my chip sounds. Since i started with MIDI back when I was a teenager. All i wanted back then was a Creative Soundblaster 64. I actually bought one from a friend and it made my MIDI sound glorious.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Paladin View Post
Project SAM's stuff isn't a slouch, I've used it before, and very usable. I just resolved a number years ago to avoid large sample libraries after I started seeing the potential of physical modeling.

I guess the downside for me is the vast amount of storage space they take up, as well as how long it takes to reinstall all those massive libraries if your HD ever crashes...No fun at all.
I guess it depends on how many sample libraries you have and how often your hard disk goes kaput. I've been using EWQLSO and Ivory Italian Grand for 5 years and only had to reinstall them once -- not a big deal in my opinion, but of course it multiplies if you have scores of libraries instead of just two. The nice thing is that if you've got the RAM, you can load dozens of samples in at once; it sounds like that could be tricky to pull off with physical modeling unless you had a really high-end machine.

That said, the beautiful Sample Modeling brass instrument demos give me hope that physical modeling will solve some of the challenges for faithfully reproducing winds and bowed string instruments, and in a few cases already has. Their strings and flutes are a little weaker, and still sound a bit "synthy" to me.

Are you aware of any complete packages of orchestral instruments (including ensembles) using the physical modeling approach? Sample Modeling sounds great in general, but the catalog isn't yet complete, and purchasing all of their instruments would be over $1000 I think.

In contrast, you can purchase a good starter orchestral sample library from Project SAM or VSL for a few hundred. Depends on what you're doing with it for sure, but for many people sample libraries are probably still the way to go for an all-around package, at least until the modeling technology develops a bit further and the prices come down.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Another one worth checking out is Vienna Symphonic Library. Their Special Edition Vol 1 is available for a reduced price of € 221 through the end of March, and has basically a limited version of a full orchestra.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:

That said, the beautiful Sample Modeling brass instrument demos give me hope that physical modeling will solve some of the challenges for faithfully reproducing winds and bowed string instruments, and in a few cases already has. Their strings and flutes are a little weaker, and still sound a bit "synthy" to me.

Are you aware of any complete packages of orchestral instruments (including ensembles) using the physical modeling approach? Sample Modeling sounds great in general, but the catalog isn't yet complete, and purchasing all of their instruments would be over $1000 I think.
I haven't tried the flutes yet. I am a sax player, and nothing is as good as the real thing for me, but the Sample Modeling stuff sounds better than one can expect--it has been quoted many, many times that the saxophone is the most difficult instrument to sample/model because it is actually the closest instrument to the human voice in terms of the way it resonates!

Maybe the flutes are better than the demos you heard, it really depends on what type of controller the person performing used. A breath controller is an absolute must for these instruments, and not all of them are up to snuff, and I can tell you that this can be a major factor in how the instrument sounds. For example, some breath controllers take a sample of your wind velocity (note:not gas!) more frequently than others, and consequently can more accurately imitate the many, many variations in air flow over the course of a second.

As far as I know, Sample Modeling is the only company out there doing real instruments like these. It should (perhaps) come as no surprise though if you are familiar with the history of samples that Peter Sedlacek himself developed these VSTi's, so given that information, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an entire collection out there.

I will say, having played with a lot of brass players, the trombone and trumpet can really fool my ear, and that's not easy to do...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 08:50 PM

As for personal songs that don't get love...

I kinda want to record a bunch of Soul Blazer stuff for some reason...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 01:55 AM

Oh wow, how did I miss this thread... sorry for opening up a separate topic, didn't know this was here!

Quote:
One such work for me is a Lolo 3 remix: https://soundcloud.com/docnano/the-eggerlander-march-2
Admittedly, I don't know the original, but this sounds wonderful and authentic. Nice instrumentation and pacing, well-produced. Nice cresendo/decrescendo in the dynamics from 1:33 onwards as well. Loving the classic piccolo, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGMRMissCoriel
I suppose its my turn again. I am surprised that this didn't get much attention:
Legendary Wings Overture Expanded
Nice, captured the epic sound very well! I like the way the strings come in at 0:20 to strengthen the resolution. At 0:33 the percussion feels a little overpowering, or maybe it's because the bass instruments also play rhythmic elements; slightly difficult for my ears to decide what the main focal point is, melody or rhythm.
The chiptune bit I like a lot. Maybe it would be nice to leave out the strings and percussion for the first few bars or so and slap a highpass filter on it, to enhance and accentuate the contrast between the original and your epic remake?
All in all, I can see this working very well under a game

Well, re-spamming my own project here once again, this time in the appropriate section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90J4su2fGY
Old Mar 15, 2016, 06:55 AM

That's and interesting Critique and very refreshing. I haven't touched that song in ages, perhaps I'll load it up on my DAW and make those changes :3
I heard your music from another thread; it is impressive and captures the theme you wished to make.

This one I made a long time ago and Probably needs a remaster.
I used a compressor back then so it doesn't sound as good as it should
Dungeon Master - Screamer Jam
Old Mar 15, 2016, 02:16 PM

Nice! Hypnotic vibe you got going there.

Ups:
- the hyperactive bass that drives the track forward, nice slurry and heavy sound, sits well in the mix. I really like this sound!
- the strings, befitting menacing sound for the tense atmosphere of the track.
- the sort of bowed bellsynth that the track starts out with panned to the right; I think it'd sound great with a bit of subtle delay/reverb on the higher frequencies, has the potential for sounding really hypnotic.

- the percussion sounds a bit dime-a-dozen (Vengeance or FL sample pack?), especially the open hi-hat on the offbeat. Could also do with some more release/reverb on the hats and the claps, some of them are cut off very abruptly.
- the synth that's panned hard left is a bit bass-heavy, resulting in the track "leaning" to the left. Maybe try centering it some more?
- perhaps broadening the strings in the stereo channel and decreasing the volume a little to make them blend a bit more into the mix. They're a bit too much in your face for my taste.

Just my two cents
Old Mar 16, 2016, 09:29 AM

That is something useful.. I am reworking it right now x3
The drums were a soundfont I liked a few years back.. I use Drumpad on FLstudio for most my songs and sometimes I use Sytrus
Old Apr 2, 2016, 03:24 PM

I pulled this off of VGMusic.com
This was my first MIDI ever.
I didn't do anything to it just made it an mp3.. no other modification.
Drakkhen Old Remix

It has so much on it i would never put on a song today.. but back then it made sense.
I wanted to show you how it used to be for me when I was a MIDI sequencer and only 14
Old Apr 2, 2016, 06:26 PM

Are you all the 'Omegas' on VGMusic? (UltimaOmega, AbsoluteOmega, etc.)

I still think a Drakkhen arrange soundtrack would be novel.

Another overlooked SNES title I haven't played (but heard on VGMusic) is Aqutallion (Secret of the Stars). The Kustera Field Movement stuck out to me.

I particularly like Tsu Ryu's MIDI rendition of it (though it isn't accurate):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDESF_yJUBc
Old Apr 4, 2016, 03:57 PM

I been slowly working on Drakkhen :P I posted the tracks already and yeah, I am all the Omegas.. I created the drakkhen section