VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Closed Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The new Albums tab on the Recent Updates page is cool, but is it slow for anyone else? The loading time is 4 or 5 seconds for me, where the other tabs are near instantaneous. This is too slow for something that I monitor all the time.
Yeah, it seems like 5-10 seconds for me. Also, the generation time on the page is definitely wrong, is the start time being set in the wrong place or something?
Old May 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Yeah the whole "updates" tab is quite long to load, while other parts of the site is fine.
Once it load it's ok "Generated in 0.06 seconds".
Old May 13, 2010, 09:14 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, it's due to the way I grouped and sorted the entries. Loading time was indeed wrong, should be ~5 seconds. I'll put the old updates page back up while I rework the query.
Old May 13, 2010, 01:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Using the translation search with an empty string shows an exciting blank page after a while of who-knows-what.
Old May 13, 2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Using the translation search with an empty string shows an exciting blank page after a while of who-knows-what.
Hoho, looks kind of like the PHP white screen of death. But I'm pretty sure error reporting is on so I guess it is just returning a blank page?
Old May 13, 2010, 02:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, it was trying to return the results for "", which is the whole database. I've put a 2 character lower limit on it, so now it will give you an error for that same search. With 2 characters, we can still search for single kanji.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:29 AM

Never mind, haven't seen the last page yet...
Old May 14, 2010, 12:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor

If you search for ネスツ肉体改造計画のテーマ in the translation search you get one of those phantom tracklists.

Bonus bug from the above: the translation of <オープニングVer1.0> and similar results isn't showing. I guess it discards any <..> stuff.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
If you search for ネスツ肉体改造計画のテーマ in the translation search you get one of those phantom tracklists.

Bonus bug from the above: the translation of <オープニングVer1.0> and similar results isn't showing. I guess it discards any <..> stuff.
Actually, when you don't see a translation, it's more often because no tracklist has been set as default. I set the English one as a default to fix it for that album. I've also fixed the other problem.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This may be a limitation or by design, but you can't credit an artist with an alias that only varies in the caps, it discards the alias when modified.

Ex.- Syun Nishigaki and SYUN Nishigaki, yoshiko and YOSHIKO.

This is rare but an artist may use that to differentiate their works so I think it should be kept.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The Submissions tab in the "My List" (or any user) section disappears when you change tabs.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
The Submissions tab in the "My List" (or any user) section disappears when you change tabs.
Probably because it's still a work in progress, but I went ahead and integrated it in with the other tabs.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:29 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Not a bug per se, but something that happens me often and probably to others too.

When editting an album's catalogue number it's be nice if there was some text warning the user that media catalogues should be editted too. It's easy to overlook.

EDIT: also the JP tracklist here has some funky numbering (missing 3) that I guess shouldn't be possible. I left if untouched in case you want to check how it happened.

Last edited by Dag; Jun 16, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Not a bug per se, but something that happens me often and probably to others too.

When editting an album's catalogue number it's be nice if there was some text warning the user that media catalogues should be editted too. It's easy to overlook.
I think there is going to be a technical solution to this, but I'm fuzzy on the details of how it's going to work. It's part of a larger challenge though, where we have some data associated with an album, but come along later and associate it with a smaller unit like media. We'll see this all again with tracks too.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:16 AM
VGMdb Advisor

This reprint is marked as "game" but the parent is "animation". Shouldn't it reuse the parent category?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:18 AM
VGMdb Administrator

They were apparently different when they was hooked up. You have to manually verify the agreement before using the reprint stitcher. It's easy to fix though. Just edit the parent and it'll change the child too. I changed the parent to Game, and back to Animation, so now they are both Animation.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Seems like i can't "Edit" any albums in the database anymore..
(all "Edit" links return a simple #)

Is there anything wrong going on?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I can edit fine. Are you sure you are still logged in?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:35 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Wow, i don't know what's going on but i have serious problems with this website right now..

And something tells me it have something do to with Java.
I had to desactivate it to navigate again on the website, but i still have my problems, i can't edit albums, and i can't even login on if i log out.

When i load any page on vgmdb, it's trying to reach the following adress "yui.yahooapis.com"... but i do not get any answer for that adress.. it have something to do with Java Libraries i understand.

So, is the site fully working with this? (even clicking the log in text?)

I have no idea how to fix this, and something tells me it's not gonna work until that adress works again.
I am just curious to know if someone else have this problem.

edit: i got the same problem with my laptop (same room), that is using a different navigator, it's also trying to reach that yahoo adress, and fail.

Last edited by Myrkul; Jun 20, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm able to reach that address, so it could be something to do with your ISP.

vBulletin depends on the Yahoo! User Interface Library (a javascript library) to function. I've changed the settings so that it uses local files instead of loading them from Yahoo. Let me know if that fixes things for you.

Edit: whoops, that didn't work, back to square one. I'll fix this one within an hour or two, need to head out.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:50 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Yeah, that's what i was thinking, my ISP can't reach that adress, and i got the same problem with some other vbulletin boards..

Oh well.. i hope it's going to work again soon.
Thanks for checking & confirming Blah.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:08 AM

Since work is being done on the product system I guess I'll take the opportunity to point out a small bug with the product lists I noticed ages ago. Simply, page navigation links point to "http://vgmdb.net/db/products.php?..." instead of "http://vgmdb.net/db/product.php?..."
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think nobody noticed that at first, because we never reached the second page until you added all those Beatmania entries.

Anyway, it's fixed now.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If you delete a "default" cover, another scan is chosen as the main cover, but is not actually set to default. And albums without a default cover won't show the cover thumbnail in the calendar and maybe in other places (example). Easy enough to set it manually but strange.

Last edited by Dag; Jun 25, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:27 AM

Trying to report spam messages through the respective icon in the top right brings me to a page that I've no permission to do so. Why even show the icon in such a case?

The ability to report obvious spam bot accounts would be nice as well.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
Trying to report spam messages through the respective icon in the top right brings me to a page that I've no permission to do so. Why even show the icon in such a case?

The ability to report obvious spam bot accounts would be nice as well.
Are you sure you were logged in? I just tried with my test account, and it worked.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:00 PM

I definitely was logged in (I posted the above post right after my attempt), and trying to report your post just now brought me to a proper form. I guess a post can be reported only once and every further try (regardless by who) leads to said nondescript error page?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's possible that while you were viewing the spam post, someone deleted it (or moved it to a nonpublic subforum), and you clicked on the report button afterwards.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:32 AM

Yes, that might have been the case indeed.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 07:20 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If an user doesn't have album submissions you can't see/select their scans in the "my submissions" page.
ex.- Nick G's (alt url), though you can link to scan submissions directly.
Closed Thread