VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 24, 2020, 07:30 PM

Recently I've gotten into the habit of watching several YouTubers who play through various Doom WADs (or custom made fan level packs) and I've just been floored by all the original MIDI tunes that have been crafted for these things. I mean I've always loved the tunes Bobby Prince and Team TNT made for the official Doom games in 1993-1995 but I had no idea that people were still crafting music for these things!

I kind of feel like I hit a gold mine (or you could say I feel like a kid in a candy store) and picked up quite a few related releases on bandcamp. That said, about this release, I had no idea that a fifth episode had been made for Doom in 2019 by Romero. I love the original Doom and wow, I think Sigil here is an excellent edition to Prince's tunes. The track "Easel" is easily my favorite.

However, I guess what I want to ask are there any other artists/albums I should look into who mainly use old-school computer midi? I already have Paddock's whole discography and Stuart Rynn is another name I've run into in this subsection of the music community.

I should probably mention I already own a copy of Doom Music (I'll never let the sucker go) and I'm already aware of the Midi Power Pro albums. I have the Symphony of the Night one (I think that's Vol.6) and I enjoy it even though I do have some mixed feelings about it. That said, from what I've read I think it has a pretty mixed/checkered reputation with VGM listeners.

Anyway, I don't know why but I like the sound of old-school MIDI for some reason. The quality doesn't bother me slightest and I love to see what people can do with it despite the limitations. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
The track "Easel" is easily my favorite.
Missed opportunity to say the 9th track is Easelly your favorite.

I will show myself out now.