VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 21, 2015, 07:52 AM

Default Star Fox Zero (Wii U) main theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lmDt4Oiys

Any guesses? Doesn't sound like Wakai.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:39 AM

I was actually just mulling over the question myself before I noticed the thread.

It would be amateur speculation on my part, but I sort of felt it might be Wakai. It's just that there's something to the orchestral swings in this track that remind of the cinematic heaves of Wakai's work on Skyward Sword--specifically the sky over-world theme, with its movie-like crescendos and soaring riffs. Nothing concrete to this sentiment and I suppose I couldn't really call any of the above things part of a style (not least without any supplied aural evidence) but I felt like I noticed whimsical backing instrumentation--spurts of lightly upward flute sweeps, chiefly--common to that theme for the sky in SS and Star Fox, and those things paired with the aforementioned to generate a shared cinematic quality, something that I consider perhaps something of a theme in Wakai's work.

Equally, though, I would totally understand reticence in pointing to Wakai and I wouldn't be inclined to disagree with that reservedness. To my ear, I wouldn't call this piece tonally familiar to Wakai's work on erstwhile Star Fox games--neither Star Fox 64, whose cinematic anthems were supplied by Kondo; nor Star Fox Command, which to me eye didn't elect to champion the cinematic. If it is Wakai, mind, I'm impressed that his music here feels every bit as much written on a clean conceptual canvas for the game's universe as the game's narrative does.

Last edited by Uppa; Jun 21, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 04:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Who's to say it won't be somebody from PlatinumGames?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:01 PM

Hmm...Doesn't sound like Wakai at all to me, either.
Based on what I've heard from Trailers and such...the Soundtrack to SFZ is composed by Platinum Game Composers. But, there ARE some SF64 songs in there that are arranged. Like Training Theme and I think I heard a bit of Boss 1 theme in the JP Opening Cutscene.
However...I find it really funny that These Platinum Composers decided to arrange Kondo's Songs from SF64 and not Wakai's Themes...Throughout the Trailers I've seen already I've heard: Training, Mission Accomplished, Opening and a bit of Staff Roll...but, none of Wakai's Music...I really think it's safe to assume that they are not going to arrange any of Wakai's themes...although I could be proven wrong...I hope so. LOL :P

Last edited by Red Blazer; Mar 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blazer View Post
However...I find it really funny that These Platinum Composers decided to arrange Kondo's Songs from SF64 and not Wakai's Themes...Throughout the Trailers I've seen already I've heard: Training, Mission Accomplished, Opening and a bit of Staff Roll...
Well, this is consistent with SF Command and Assault: those exact themes were arranged for both games. But each also had a healthy portion of Wakai arranges. Past developers seem to really find his Star Wolf theme particularly iconic to the series, for example. I bet we'll hear that one for sure.

Anyway, I just want to know what Wakai's up to!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 08:15 PM

In one of the latest Trailers, I heard a little bit of Star Wolf's Theme so...It's a safe bet that it will be in there.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 08:45 PM
Trusted Editor

The lead composers for the game are Hiroshi Yamaguchi and Yukari Suita. Hitomi Kurokawa, Naofumi Harada, Rei Kondoh, and Keiki Kobayashi are credited later on, as well.

Last edited by dissident93; Apr 10, 2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 09:58 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yukari Suita (吹田由香里) is a composer/percussionist hired by PlatinumGames on April 1, 2014. This appears to be her first time composing for a game. https://www.facebook.com/yukari.suita.5

Edit: She left PlatinumGames on July 25, 2016.

Last edited by cal; Jan 25, 2017 at 06:04 PM.