VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 4, 2020, 02:30 PM

Question Need help identifying some video game MIDIs

These MIDIs were used in the adult RPG Maker "Legend of Queen Opala" games. I was able to identify most of them, but these few still elude me. (Some of these will probably seem obvious, and I'll be really embarrassed )
Could someone with a lot more experience in listening to video game soundtracks help me identify the titles and sources of each of these tracks? I know they were downloaded from sites like VGMusic, but they lack proper tags or names.
I've been trying to find these for literally years now and would greatly appreciate any help I could get.

P.S. I'm trying to attach the zip file but it fails every time. I've checked, it does not exceed the max size, and I've scanned it with an antivirus for good measure. What should I do?

Edit: Only 2 MIDIs left to figure out! Anyone? Pretty please? https://anonfiles.com/n9P3N3K1of/MIDI_rar

Last edited by InsertDankMemeHere; Aug 10, 2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 04:07 AM

Upload to somewhere like Mega and link, maybe?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 01:58 PM

Actually, since I'm doing this anyway, here's all the MIDIs if anyone's curious. https://anonfiles.com/FczcB5Kfob/MIDI_rar
But again, I only need the ones in the first link identified.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 02:49 PM

I haven't heard these before, but opening them up in Anvil Studio and reading the track/instrument fields returned this:

071: Grandia - Mullen's Theme
076: Romancing SaGa - Beat Them Up! <Heavy Metal Mix> for SC-88Pro by T.Oyamada
081: Ghost Recon - Anthem
086: Tales of Vesperia - Chance for a Big Reversal

and 101 is a Gerudo Valley remix; everyone knows this theme better than their own national anthem.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 03:09 PM

Oops, didn't mean to include the Gerudo Valley one
Thanks a ton (!), that just leaves 075, 077, 095, and 105 (078 and 079 are different versions of 076).
Here are the last 4 unidentified ones: https://anonfiles.com/55J9C5K4o7/MIDIs_rar

Last edited by InsertDankMemeHere; Aug 5, 2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 05:00 AM

If they come from vgmusic.com, there is a trick you can use to find them:

1. right click/properties the MIDI file
2. find the exact filesize in bytes
3. google "vgmusic.com #" where # = the exact filesize in bytes (without the comma, e.g. "vgmusic.com 55588" for the file named 095)
4. click the link(s) which take you to the console page
5. ctrl+f the exact filesize (again without the comma)

This works because vgmusic.com conveniently lists the filesize with its uploaded .mid files.

077 = Sheep Shamble from King Arthur's World (SNES)
095 = Balance Valley (3) from Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)

075 and 105 have no associated entries, so they probably didn't come from vgmusic.com -- unless the files were at one point there and then deleted for whatever reason (.mid authors may request their removal)

105 does have some text in channel 0 that might help.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 07:30 AM

Thanks so much for that walkthrough!

I should have known 077 is by Justin Scharvona - it sounds so much like his work on Croc.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by there being text in channel 0 on 105, I opened it up in MidiEditor and can't find anything. In addition, it looks like other VG Midi sites list sizes as rounded up to the second decimal point after KB so that makes it tough to try an look up.

God, I feel so silly for not recognizing 075 and 105, I feel like it's probably so obvious, but I just can't put my finger on it! Anyone?

(075 and 105 only this time: https://anonfiles.com/n9P3N3K1of/MIDI_rar)

Tags
h-game, midi, missing tags, missing titles, rpg maker xp