VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:23 PM

If he was selling 100 @ $10 he'd make out better than selling 1 and hoping to get $500 (if he's lucky enough to get someone with that kind of money to burn on a CD, pardon the pun). So I'm going to go with Pepak on that one...for now.

I think dismissing a soundtrack completely because we can't easily find any info on it would lead to some missed opportunities. I'm not saying "Accept anything", but I think we should be open to the fact that maybe not much, or maybe nothing at all, can be found on certain albums (I know, I know...what do you do then? I certainly don't have the answer.). I think we have to remember (using the Daggerfall album purely as an example) that this is a 14 year old game. Maybe this CD was just an after-thought back then and no one bothered to "catalog" it.

I know there are many arguments for either side. I'm not trying to say who's wrong or right. However, if we just summarily dismiss albums when a Google search yields little or nothing, we might miss out on some nice items.

The fact of the matter is that there are some reasonably valid scenarios where we might not find any supporting information on some albums: I had a friend who worked at a store called Egghead Software and they would get shipments with all manner of promotional material, soundtracks included, that would just be, literally, taped to one of the game boxes with NO supporting literature. He would toss most it, because to him it was just "junk". I got several soundtracks from him for which there is probably little to no info. I dread to think what albums he may have discarded before I met him.

Another example is the Order of War soundtrack CD I posted here, only available through Fry's Electronics. Not much info out there on it, but I doubt Fry's was bootleging.

The delima is whether to include them in the database. That is for the mods to decide. Why not just included it for the time being, for informational purposes, and delete it later if necessary.