VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Please don't put "PS2 Game", "Drama CD", etc at the start of display titles

The reason being:

Put them after the game title instead.

Edit: This applies for albums which are ambiguous regarding the placement of that portion of the title -- some albums place it at the back on the front cover (or don't have it present), yet the obi title places it at the beginning. Of course, if all printed versions of the title agree, by all means follow it, but try to favour having the game title first whenever possible.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

I don't quite see what the problem is to be honest. If someone is interested in finding all albums from a particular game they will likely just make a search, no? The 'Browse Albums' list having a structure where all albums from a certain game are listed in succession doesn't seem like enough of an incentive to me to compromise the 'correctness' of the album title in this way, even if it's only the display title.

And if we want display titles to be in such a way that the game name is always first we'll have a lot of editing to do ('Music from', 'cd theater', 'perfect selection/collection', etc.) - and we'd end up with titles like 'Sorcerian, Music from'.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't see the problem either, if that's the real title of the album.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yes, my point was that japanese publishers tend to follow this unified format of putting "Drama CD" in the obi behind the game title for drama CDs. It's analogous to anime albums putting "TV Animation" in the obi title. Considering the amount of drama albums with this naming convention we're badly skewing the album distribution in the alphabetical browse list. The only reason that list I put up isn't longer is that most other drama albums in the database have already had their display titles rearranged.

The browse list is itself a search index. Compared to your other examples, "drama CD" is in fact not as crucial to the accuracy of the album title -- if you look at the majority of the album cover scans, publishers are quite erratic in the placement of that portion (on the booklet front "drama CD" tends to follow the game title instead, if it is even present -- an example here) This is why I like to see them de-emphasized along with stuff like "PS2 game" or "PC game".

Of course, I can't argue if all printed versions of the title agree with "drama CD" at the beginning (in that case I must wonder why there is a tilde present in the Xenosaga drama CD titles, why the "vol.#" portion is moved to the back of the Tales of the Abyss titles, etc.)
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

IT doesn't seem to be a universal thing at all. Just searching for the word "drama" and sampling the text placement on the front cover, it looks like about 75% of the albums have drama CD at the back instead of the front.

Though there was rather contentious discussion about it last year, I think we've been tending to title our albums after the wording on the cover, rather than the obi or spine. As such, there are some albums like the Persona 3 dramas where the Drama CD should be removed from the front and added to the back, but I don't think we should make it a requirement that Drama CD always be put at the end of the album regardless of position on the cover just to make the browsing easier.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I didn't mean to make it a definite rule. I'll edit the first post.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:22 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
The browse list is itself a search index. Compared to your other examples, "drama CD" is in fact not as crucial to the accuracy of the album title -- if you look at the majority of the album cover scans, publishers are quite erratic in the placement of that portion (on the booklet front "drama CD" tends to follow the game title instead, if it is even present -- an example here) This is why I like to see them de-emphasized along with stuff like "PS2 game" or "PC game".
I definitely agree with you regarding the importance of "drama cd" as opposed to my other examples, and I personally don't really care where that portion is put, I just tend to place it where the front scan/online site tells me it should be like anything else. Stuff like "PS2 game", etc, which has no information value should just be omitted though, or used on the fourth line.

Quote:
(in that case I must wonder why there is a tilde present in the Xenosaga drama CD titles, why the "vol.#" portion is moved to the back of the Tales of the Abyss titles, etc.)
The Xenosaga's need some editing alright, but going by the scans on the fifth volume, the Tales of the Abyss naming seems fine to me. I always go with what's on the spine/obi if available, as it's always on a straight line there and as such unmistakable, while the text on the front cover can often be placed in a certain way for "dramatic effect", for lack of a better word.

Also, as it's not always certain that the first naming that surfaces on release lists and mailinglists is always completely correct, titles may need editing once the album is released/scans surface.