VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:20 AM

Come on Wave Master, give us the full treatment already, instead of "best of"s D:
That said, I wonder what the final tracklist will be, considering the previous best of album already covered every main vocal theme from each Sonic game up to 2006. Will they finally include more classic stuff? I really hope so, if at least just as a glimpse of what may come out in the future.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:36 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Apparently, this album will only have instrumental songs because of complaints over True Blue
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewing Darksun View Post
Come on Wave Master, give us the full treatment already, instead of "best of"s D:
That said, I wonder what the final tracklist will be, considering the previous best of album already covered every main vocal theme from each Sonic game up to 2006. Will they finally include more classic stuff? I really hope so, if at least just as a glimpse of what may come out in the future.
I think Senoue-san will release a boxset in 2011, to Sonics 20th Bday.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I think Senoue-san will release a boxset in 2011, to Sonics 20th Bday.
That would be most logical; I hope God hears you, Lucy.
However, a 2year long wait is still long.

On another hand, I have found what seems to be a "preliminary" tracklist for this album. I say "Preliminary" because I find it VERY lacking in material, with only 6 tracks:

1.Throw It All Away
2.Theme of E-102
3.E.G.G.M.A.N.
4.Dreams Of An Absolution(仮)(New Remix 2009)
5.All Hail Shadow(Hybird Mix feat.Mike Szuter)
6.Lazy Days(Original Demo Hybrid Mix feat.Ted Poley)

Found: http://www.honya-town.co.jp/hst/HTCD..._cd=109065359X and http://tenant.depart.livedoor.com/t/...em5752042.html

We'll see for sure when it's officially unveiled.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
Apparently, this album will only have instrumental songs because of complaints over True Blue
For some reason, I highly doubt that.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:08 PM

Sorry for the double post, but the complete tracklist has been revealed:

http://blog.sonic-channel.jp/

I'm submitting it now, so if a Mod could delete the old one, that'd be great.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:26 AM

Ah finally. Was expecting they'd go for other characters' themes, and even actually go for older games (Sonic CD), however...

Quote:
13. Look-a-like (Short Edited Ver.)
That's quite an obscure one, right there, to include . For those who don't know, that's the ending theme to the two Sonic OVAs released way back around 1996. I never thought I'd see it released on album.

Quote:
14. Sonic3 MegaD Mix
.... Wow. There's been like what? 2 or 3 times where classic sonic music has been officially remixed in 15 years?
I must get this.

Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Ah finally. Was expecting they'd go for other characters' themes, and even actually go for older games (Sonic CD), however...

That's quite an obscure one, right there, to include . For those who don't know, that's the ending theme to the two Sonic OVAs released way back around 1996. I never thought I'd see it released on album.

.... Wow. There's been like what? 2 or 3 times where classic sonic music has been officially remixed in 15 years?
I must get this.
Yeah, Sonic3 MegaD Mix is from Sonic Gems Collection. Rather obscure, as you said.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXAshram View Post
Yeah, Sonic3 MegaD Mix is from Sonic Gems Collection. Rather obscure, as you said.
Ohh, so it's not a new exclusive remix for the album, then? That's slightly disappointing, but, oh well, it's still an obscure welcomed addition to the compilation.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Ohh, so it's not a new exclusive remix for the album, then? That's slightly disappointing, but, oh well, it's still an obscure welcomed addition to the compilation.
Indeed. It was one of the tracks you could select from in the Gallery of Sonic Gems Collection after you unlocked it.

"Look-a-like" is pretty odd, too. I always thought that Sega had essentially tried to erase all existence of the Sonic the Hedgehog OVA.

And naturally, with the second half of "The Best of Sonic the Hedgehog", we get the other song from the Japanese Sonic CD, "Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself".
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:44 PM

Sorry for another double post, but whoever added the "unofficial song credits", it's better to leave it blank until you get official credits.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 05:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I agree. I've rolled back the composer, arranger, and lyricist to before the edits.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:42 PM

Booklet scans and credits added.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 03:21 PM

Pretty nice to see Look-a-Like on here. Was probably the only thing about about that Sonic OVA aside from Sonic yelling "SHUT UP, TAILS!" I honestly never dreamed it would see an album release on anything. Here's to more obscure Sonic tracks. Good ones, that is.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Pretty nice to see Look-a-Like on here. Was probably the only thing about about that Sonic OVA aside from Sonic yelling "SHUT UP, TAILS!" I honestly never dreamed it would see an album release on anything. Here's to more obscure Sonic tracks. Good ones, that is.
I wouldn't exactly call it "good" by any stretch... The terrible Engrish makes me wince every time I hear it (Same with Cosmic Eternity).
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Come on, you have to admit the South Island theme was Mitsuhiro Tada's best contribution to the movie, the Sonic series, and even his career. That tune's a hundred times more memorable and thumpin' than Look-a-Like could ever hope to be.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubihanyou View Post
Come on, you have to admit the South Island theme was Mitsuhiro Tada's best contribution to the movie, the Sonic series, and even his career. That tune's a hundred times more memorable and thumpin' than Look-a-Like could ever hope to be.
Oh, man I can't believe I forgot about that one! Yeah, that track was pretty sweet. Why couldn't they have thrown that one in a collection?

Yeah, I'm hoping Sega gives Sonic a multi-disc collection in the same vein of OutRun and it's other series. Of course since there have been so many Sonic games, that would be way bigger than the OutRun 20th Anniversary set.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:42 PM

Believe me, I've posted on the official Sega forums that they should re-release all of the old Sonic soundtracks from Sonic Adventure onward. I don't think it's ever gonna happen.

And if it does, it's gonna be outrageously expensive...
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXAshram View Post
Believe me, I've posted on the official Sega forums that they should re-release all of the old Sonic soundtracks from Sonic Adventure onward. I don't think it's ever gonna happen.
If anything they should release everything before Sonic Adventure, even if it's just the Genesis 4. They're just SCREAMING for an official release, especially with Project Needlemouse promising a true return to 2D glory. The Game Gear games aren't worth it, though.

Besides, Super Mario Brothers 1 - Super Mario World were also officially released in a set, [Super Mario World; Mario the Music] so why not Sonic?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
If anything they should release everything before Sonic Adventure, even if it's just the Genesis 4. They're just SCREAMING for an official release, especially with Project Needlemouse promising a true return to 2D glory. The Game Gear games aren't worth it, though.

Besides, Super Mario Brothers 1 - Super Mario World were also officially released in a set, [Super Mario World; Mario the Music] so why not Sonic?
Because sadly, Sonic doesn't generate the insane amount of revenue that Mario does. Sonic hasn't aged well.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:52 PM

As already stated above, 2011 is Sonic's 20th Anniversary so maybe Sega has some sort of special album planned. I'm amazed they've yet to release albums for Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles and both versions of Sonic CD. I doubt they'd so anything similar to Square Enix's 20th Anniversary SaGa release. Just the music alone for that was 20 discs. With Sonic, we'd be looking at... yeah, over 20 for sure. At the very least, Sega could give us a 12 disc Set of all the Sonic games before the Dreamcast era. I think that's fair.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:26 AM

A little late posting this, but Project Needlemouse has been officially revealed as Sonic the Hedgehog 4....Episode 1. Like Megaman 9 and 10, it will be released as DLC for all the major consoles and the first part will be released this summer.

On this note I'll say that Sega would be really stupid not to capitalize on this and officially release Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles music now. They can sell it along with 4 as a 3-disc set [Disc 1: Sonic 1 and 2; Disc 2: Sonic 3 Complete; Disc 3 Sonic 4: Episode 1 (and quite likely 2 and possibly 3). I mean, seriously, they've produced an OST for every main series console game thus far. How can you think that they can't profit from the original games - some of their best work Sonic-wise and where most of the true fanbase lies - and yet release OSTs for stuff like Sonic Riders? You just wait and see...

Sorry Reg, but the Game Gear games just plain sucked, Mean Bean and Spinball were US made, and 3D Blast was just a big mistake. None of them are ever getting official releases, and anybody who bought Sonic CD already has the OST; it's called Redbook Audio. It's for that very reason why the Spyro trilogy and the like never got an OST release; it was simply redundant.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Feb 17, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
On this note I'll say that Sega would be really stupid not to officially release Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles music now. They can sell it along with 4 as a 2/3-disc set.
I think we can expect a huge Sonic box for next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Hi guys ^^

My brother is in contact with Jun Senoue due his work as writer at a online-mag. He has written me some hours ago that Senoue-san has replied him. He asked Jun about a possible Sonic the Hedgehog Box, like the Anniversary-Boxes from OutRun, After Burner and the whole new music collections at Sega Direct.

Quote:
I don't know about the Sonic Classic OST-Box.
OutRun and After Burner box were released for celebrating their
20th anniversary, so it may be happen in 2011 but who knows.
Seems so that we have to wait a little longer! My brother asked him about reprints of some old Sonic CDs too but Jun didn't answered this.

Lucy
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:19 PM

Too bad they didn't release the full version of Look-a-like, regardless, I still really wish that the OVA soundtrack would get an official release.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jan 11, 2021 at 10:33 PM.