VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 5, 2016, 05:47 PM

Oh crap I'm stoked for this! I think the game won't live up to the hype, but lord the soundtrack will be good.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:13 PM

I'm a little confused on this one. SEMO reported that only the Blu-ray version of this will contain the complete score, and the CD version is just a "selection"? It's 4 CD's, sure, but apparently the Blu-ray has something close to 200 tracks.

I don't have any way to get audio Blu-rays into iTunes, so this sucks. I hope the downloadable iTunes version is complete.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:13 AM

https://store.na.square-enix.com/pro...ray-music-disc
Old Nov 7, 2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984 View Post
I'm a little confused on this one. SEMO reported that only the Blu-ray version of this will contain the complete score, and the CD version is just a "selection"? It's 4 CD's, sure, but apparently the Blu-ray has something close to 200 tracks.

I don't have any way to get audio Blu-rays into iTunes, so this sucks. I hope the downloadable iTunes version is complete.
The way I understand it is the OST has 90 tracks for both the CD release and Blu ray release. The blu-ray LE comes with a additional disc with over 200 tracks from the entire Final Fantasy series. So, these tracks aren't from FF XV.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 05:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petev21 View Post
The way I understand it is the OST has 90 tracks for both the CD release and Blu ray release. The blu-ray LE comes with a additional disc with over 200 tracks from the entire Final Fantasy series. So, these tracks aren't from FF XV.
Blu-ray LE also comes with the Piano Arrangement CD and first blu-ray disc seems to have the Florence + the Machine tracks also.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 08:02 PM
VGMdb Staff

Music credits from the English version of the game
Quote:
<Music>
Yoko Shimomura

<Theme Song>
"Stand by Me"
Performed by Florence + The Machine
Produced by Emile Haynie
Mixed by Emile Haynie
Recorded at Air Studios
Words and Music by Ben King, Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller
Sony/ATV Music Publishing Ltd.

"Too Much is Never Enough"
Performed by Florence + The Machine
Produced by Emile Haynie
Written by Florence Welch, Emile Haynie & Jeff Bhasker
Universal Music Publishing Limited, Songs of Universal, Inc./Way Above Music (BMI), Universal Music Corp./Heavy Crate Publishing (ASCAP)

<Music Production>
Keiji Kawamori
Hirosato Noda

<Scoring>
Unique Note Co., Ltd.
Tetsuya Shibata
Yoshino Aoki

<Arrangement & Orchestration>
John Graham
Kaoru Wada
Mitsuhiro Ohta
Naoki Masumoto
Nicolas Alvarez
Sachiko Miyano
Shota Nakama
Yoshitaka Suzuki

<Performers>
Andrea Hopkins
EIS Masters Orchestra
Força
Masatsugu Shinozaki Group
Mion
Music Creation
Tomoko Kanda
Video Game Orchestra
Jose Delgado

<Lyrics>
Tetsuya Nomura

<Recording & Mixing Engineers>
Alex Levy
Alvin Wee
Antonio Oliart
Daniel Kresco
Emily Shibata
Falk Au Yeong
Frank Cunningham
John Weston
Kunihiro Imazeki
Kurt Jessen
Masahiro Matsuda
Masahiro Yamada
Robin Moore
Toru Okitsu
Yutaka Une
Warren Brown

<Coordination>
Daniel Monteverde
Ivan Lin
Jun Neki
Koyo Sonae
Louis A. Ochoa
Maho Azuma
Rebecca Hallowell
Rick Copeland
Sho Omagari
SoundtRec Boston
Takashi Baker
Tsutomu Satomi
Yoshihito Ohokubo
Yuko Tanioka

<Translators>
Hiroko Hayama
Kazuhiro Komiya
Taro Yamashita

Last edited by cal; Nov 30, 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
<Scoring>
Unique Note Co., Ltd.
Tetsuya Shibata
Yoshino Aoki
On Unique Note's website, they credit themselves for Composition/Arrangement and Recording.

"作曲/編曲" couldn't be more straightforward. Somehow, in some fashion, Shibata or Aoki or both composed music for FF15.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 04:28 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
On Unique Note's website, they credit themselves for Composition/Arrangement and Recording.

"作曲/編曲" couldn't be more straightforward. Somehow, in some fashion, Shibata or Aoki or both composed music for FF15.
Yeah, I saw that too.

The game doesn't list composer credits from what I saw. Yoshitaka Suzuki and Shota Nakama have both said they composed music for the game as well.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 05:51 PM

Here's one detail: the Regalia (car in FF15) has a selection of various albums. One of them is Justice Monsters Five, which was scored by Unique Note.

I don't think that's the extent of their "involvement", though. Their blog specifically mentions composition/arrangement for FF15.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 06:16 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Here's one detail: the Regalia (car in FF15) has a selection of various albums. One of them is Justice Monsters Five, which was scored by Unique Note.

I don't think that's the extent of their "involvement", though. Their blog specifically mentions composition/arrangement for FF15.
He says on his Facebook that "in addition to the music by Yoko Shimomura and Yoshitaka Suzuki, Unique Note (Shibata and Aoki) was involved with the music production for various stages and cut scenes".
Old Dec 3, 2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
He says on his Facebook that "in addition to the music by Yoko Shimomura and Yoshitaka Suzuki, Unique Note (Shibata and Aoki) was involved with the music production for various stages and cut scenes".
Thank you for the clarification! I'm listening carefully to the music in-game, but the music direction is very poor. In particular, music is used sparingly during exploration. Wasted opportunity.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 09:52 PM

Early days, but I would actually argue the entire music is surprisingly poor for a Final Fantasy game. Too many underdeveloped compositions, cinematic cliches, and weak production for my liking.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Early days, but I would actually argue the entire music is surprisingly poor for a Final Fantasy game. Too many underdeveloped compositions, cinematic cliches, and weak production for my liking.
I think like that too. Although I enjoyed the majority of this soundtrack in general, the procution is worse than FF13 saga or 14.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 09:34 AM

General music impressions so far:

FIELD
  • My biggest disappointment with the game's music is the lack of full field music. There is one, fairly lengthy (~4 minutes) field theme, that appears to randomly play sometime during the morning hours in the game's regions. At first I thought each region would have its own unique theme, but the same one plays in both the first and second (Duscae) regions, so I'm assuming it's the general "field theme" for the whole game. It's great. I always imagined that FF15, due to its overall style, would be perfect for field themes like "Colony 9"--what I consider to be my favorite Shimomura composition. This FF15 field theme is similar in tone, and is certainly the best I've heard from the game so far. Sadly, it seems it may be the only one. Maybe there's more when the game becomes linear.
  • In addition to the above, if you enter the menu or map and wait long enough, and then exit, the field theme completely fades out and won't start again for like a minute. Really breaks immersion in a noticeable way. So in other words the one good, complete field track plays once a day and gets interrupted easily. Terrible music direction here.
  • There is a very short rendition of the FF15 waltz theme, I don't know what it's called. It was prominent in many of the FF15 trailers and the demo. It's slower than its grander counterpart, and again is very short. It randomly plays during later hours of the day. It's really strange and out of place.
  • When you get to close to monsters, there's the tension theme when the red bar appears. It does its job suitably.
  • There's a theme that seems to play when you enter "dangerous" areas on the field (I guess). It's very atmospheric, short, not much to it.
  • The nighttime field theme is just ominous low strings and drums. Worthless.

BATTLE
  • I like that each region has its own battle theme. Doesn't forgive the lack of field music, but it's a step in the right direction.
  • Most battle themes are standard Shimomura fare, except with live instruments.
  • The battle theme (or maybe ambush theme? I really don't know) in some dungeons (such as the waterfall cave) is definitely Yoshitaka Suzuki's work. I don't know if he composed it, but he surely arranged it. I'm guessing both.
  • The hunt theme is probably arranged by Suzuki.

DUNGEON
I've only heard two so far, I think. The waterfall cave is appropriately atmospheric, a moody piano over string chords. Very nice.

TOWN
Ugh. The music in the "towns" has been really dull. Every one reflects a particular genre of music (the blues rock of Hammerhead, the bossa nova of Galdin Quay, the vaguely Portuguese and occasional mariachi of Lestallum, etc.) However, they are rote exercises in those genres. The composition and arrangement is perfunctory and generic. The town themes themselves will vary when entering shops/restaurants/hotels, but only with the fading in and out of instrument tracks. All of them are painfully boring, seeming to have been composed without a hint of interest or passion.

MISCELLANEOUS
  • The FF15 main title theme, Somnus, is basically the Xenoblade title theme.
  • Chocobo Bluegrass--I guess it fits pretty well considering the rural population of this game.

Last edited by Jormungand; Dec 4, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 02:13 PM

Glad to see Ms. Shimomura is putting her undeniable talent into this one. The game might not be that spectacular, but there are always other angles to look for.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the detailed thoughts, Joe. Really interesting perspectives that I agree with.

I expected Yoko Shimomura to really step up here to create her biggest 'masterpiece' to date just as Sakimoto did with FFXII and Hamauzu did with FFXIII. Instead, most of what I heard are retreads of her previous approaches with live instruments. The compositions tend to be underdeveloped (e.g. the waltz theme) or all too standard (e.g. the battle themes).

Short, snappy compositions work fine for a Kingdom Hearts title, but something as big as Final Fantasy really needs more in my opinion.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:16 AM

Wink

Quote:
I expected Yoko Shimomura to really step up here to create her biggest 'masterpiece' to date just as Sakimoto did with FFXII and Hamauzu did with FFXIII. Short, snappy compositions work fine for a Kingdom Hearts title, but something as big as Final Fantasy really needs more in my opinion.
I haven't played the game yet, but I don't remember listening to short or snappy compositions when she scored / contributed to games like Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana or Xenoblade, just to mention a few other works besides KH.

I'm a great fan of Sakimoto's score for FF XII and Hamauzu's FF XIII as well but hey: the story of both asked for more mature musical tones. I don't know how to put this but we are talking about a FF that has a "boy band-like" group of friends as major characters, so... maybe short, snappy compositions aren't that... "misplaced". It doesn't mean this is bad though.

Last edited by franzito; Dec 5, 2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 04:53 AM

I'm not criticising Shimomura's past score. I gave rave reviews for Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana, and Kingdom Hearts. Just I'm surprised she didn't step up to surpass these with FFXV, instead sticking often for more of the same.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed thoughts, Joe. Really interesting perspectives that I agree with.

I expected Yoko Shimomura to really step up here to create her biggest 'masterpiece' to date just as Sakimoto did with FFXII and Hamauzu did with FFXIII. Instead, most of what I heard are retreads of her previous approaches with live instruments. The compositions tend to be underdeveloped (e.g. the waltz theme) or all too standard (e.g. the battle themes).

Short, snappy compositions work fine for a Kingdom Hearts title, but something as big as Final Fantasy really needs more in my opinion.
I completely agree with you here! The soundtrack isn't bad, but I expected much more from Shimomura. Maybe Kingdom Hearts III has the privilege of beeing a "masterpiece"... but I doubt.

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Dec 5, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 05:16 AM

I think I spotted an Aoki track. Couldn't shake the feeling as I was wandering around in the early part of Chapter 12.

On a game-related note, it feels like there's huge chunks of story missing between chapters. They blow by so fast, with little rationality or character motivation. Remember Disc 2 of Xenogears? It's like that, but instead with like one sentence every time we get back to the screen with Fei sitting in a chair. In XG, even when it went into Visual Novel mode, it still told a well-fleshed out story. Here it seems they gave up 10 chapters ago.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 09:49 PM

I've only really sampled the battle themes online, but they seem to scream of orchestral bombast (with electric guitars in the background occasionally) and not too much actual thought. Not really what I'd want to hear from Shimomura. Shame, since there seem to be a LOT of battle themes.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
I've only really sampled the battle themes online, but they seem to scream of orchestral bombast (with electric guitars in the background occasionally) and not too much actual thought. Not really what I'd want to hear from Shimomura. Shame, since there seem to be a LOT of battle themes.
You're certainly right about that. I've reached chapter 14 and battles and cutscene music make up the bulk of the OST. There is officially a single full field track, and only a handful of dungeon themes (5 or fewer). And the awful town music.

I did spot a few more Aoki tracks, I think. They stand out compared to the usual stuff. No youtube link this time--there's a scene in chapter 13 where you are reunited with a certain character who starts talking about their backstory. There's another one later on during another cutscene... can't remember the context.

Speaking of Aoki. She's brilliant at field themes, which would've filled a massive void in this game's score. Even Shimomura's attempts would have been better than silence.

The battle themes really have become monotonous. Suzuki's presence is over-represented, I feel. I really can't stand that dungeon/tension battle theme he did. It plays all the time beginning in chapter 8 or so. Shimomura's work is, again, her usual orchestral stuff. There's one Parasite Eve-like track that uses the prelude--it's a good one. Can't find a link.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:41 AM

Yeah, I beat the game feeling disappointed by its music. When it's used at all, it's either irritating (most of the town/outpost themes, the Suzuki battle themes) or generic (the cutscene and event music). If anything, it brought a greater appreciation of the XIII score, which I listened to a lot while on the road.

While not a big Shimomura fan, I do feel that she wrote most of the best music here. Her battle themes are generally engaging, the final boss theme is pretty good and she nails most of the ending material. I wonder what the soundtrack would have been like if she'd written the entire thing.

(Or better yet, Hamauzu.)
Old Dec 14, 2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
the final boss theme is pretty good
Agreed. She did a great job on this.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 04:24 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Just I'm surprised she didn't step up to surpass these with FFXV, instead sticking often for more of the same.
Yes, she didn't step far from her comfort zone here at all. Still, from what I've listened so far, the overall experience seemed enjoyable, akin to what I considered enjoyable for FF XIII (despite not liking the game). The last "breakthrough" FF OST #MHumblestO was FF XII. Sakimoto-san managed to come up with ideas that shook big Uematsu's-san established base for FF songs. FF X OST was sorta trial and error experimentation with great results, but nothing like FF XII was.

Shimomura-san borrows heavily from what Hamauzu made of FF XIII scores, although you can tell their styles apart, it's not like she blindly followed his "recipe". You can also recognize lots of similar tunes from pasts FFs as well in her / collaborators compositions, like they are paying homage... this also gives the feeling that many pieces seem too generic at times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Maybe Kingdom Hearts III has the privilege of being a "masterpiece"... but I doubt.
I doubt that too although the direction KH DDD OST took was quite promising! Still, it's KH we're talking about, so expect upbeat marimba / xylophone compositions that, even loving, I don't think of them was worthy of being considered masterpieces.

Last edited by franzito; Dec 18, 2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:49 AM

Composer breakdown (according to user czoltan from ffshrineforums):

1. Somnus (Intrumental Version) - Yoko Shimomura
2. Departure - Yoko Shimomura/Yoshitaka Suzuki
3. Broken Down - Tetsuya Shibata
4. Hammerhead - Tetsuya Shibata
5. Wanderlust - Yoshitaka Suzuki/Yoko Shimomura
6. Encroaching Fear - Yoko Shimomura
7. Stand Your Ground - Yoko Shimomura
8. Relax and Reflect - Yoko Shimomura
9. Day's End Fanfare - Nobuo Uematsu
10. Horizon - Yoko Shimomura
11. Safe Haven - Tetsuya Shibata
12. Lurking Danger - Yoko Shimomura
13. Hunt or Be Hunted - Yoshitaka Suzuki
14. CINDY - Yoko Shimomura
15. Urban Chrome - Yoko Shimomura
16. A Quick Pit Stop - Yoko Shimomura
17. Love Lost - Yoko Shimomura
18. Galdin Quay - Tetsuya Shibata
19. ARDYN - Yoko Shimomura/Yoshitaka Suzuki
20. The Aggressors - Yoko Shimomura
21. NOX AETERNA - Yoko Shimomura
22. The Hunters - Tetsuya Shibata
23. What Lies Within - Yoko Shimomura
24. Daemons - Yoko Shimomura
25. Bros on the Road - Shota Nakama
26. Fantastica! - Yoko Shimomura
27. The Niflheim Empire - Yoko Shimomura
28. Veiled in Black - Yoko Shimomura
29. Valse di Fantastica - Yoko Shimomura
30. Crystalline Chill - Yoko Shimomura/Nobuo Uematsu
31. What a Hoot - Yoko Shimomura
32. Blues de Chocobo - Nobuo Uematsu
33. Reel Rumble - Yoshino Aoki
34. The Fight Is On! - Yoko Shimomura
35. Lestallum - Tetsuya Shibata
36. Welcome to the Leville - Tetsuya Shibata
37. Unsettling Aura - Yoko Shimomura
38. Don't Panic! - Yoko Shimomura
39. APOCALYPSIS NOCTIS - Yoko Shimomura
40. Cosmogony - Yoko Shimomura
41. Melancholia - Yoko Shimomura
42. A Premonition - Yoko Shimomura
43. NOX DIVINA - Yoko Shimomura
44. Labyrinthine - Yoko Shimomura
45. Flying R - Yoshino Aoki
46. Imperial Infiltration - Yoko Shimomura
47. Veiled in Black (Arrangement) - Yoko Shimomura
48. Invidia - Yoko Shimomura
49. Sorrow Without Solace - Yoko Shimomura
50. Sunset Waltz - Yoko Shimomura
51. Disquiet - Yoko Shimomura
52. OMNIS LACRIMA - Yoko Shimomura
53. Rodeo de Chocobo - Nobuo Uematsu
54. Listen Up - Yoko Shimomura
55. Creeping Shadows - Yoko Shimomura
56. Impending Peril - Yoko Shimomura
57. Up for the Challenge - Yoko Shimomura
58. Cape Caem - Tetsuya Shibata
59. Cape Caem - Our New Home - Tetsuya Shibata
60. Cape Caem - Hidden Harbor - Tetsuya Shibata
61. Bros on the Road II - Yoko Shimomura
62. NOCTIS - Yoko Shimomura
63. Over the Waves - Yoshino Aoki
64. Altissia - Yoshino Aoki
65. Altissia - Gondola Ride - Yoshino Aoki
66. Welcome to the Royal Suite - Yoshino Aoki
67. Starlit Waltz - Yoko Shimomura
68. Prayer de LUNA - Yoko Shimomura
69. No Time Left - Yoko Shimomura
70. Song of the Stars - Yoko Shimomura
71. The Hydraean's Wrath - Yoshitaka Suzuki/Yoko Shimomura
72. ARDYN II - Yoko Shimomura
73. LUNA - Yoko Shimomura
74. APOCALYPSIS AQUARIUS - Yoko Shimomura
75. Broken Bonds - Tetsuya Shibata
76. Dining Car - Yoko Shimomura
77. Cartanica - Tetsuya Shibata
78. Relax and Reflect - Pensive - Yoko Shimomura
79. Careening Into Danger - Yoko Shimomura
80. Tenebrae - Yoko Shimomura
81. Horrors of the Night - Yoko Shimomura
82. End of the Road - Yoko Shimomura
83. An Empire in Ruins - Yoko Shimomura
84. RAVUS AETERNA - Yoko Shimomura
85. In the Light of the Crystal - Yoko Shimomura
86. A World Unwaking - Yoshino Aoki
87. Neverending Nightmare - Yoko Shimomura
88. Homecoming - Tetsuya Shibata
89. Hammerhead - The Last Bastion - Tetsuya Shibata
90. Somnus - Yoko Shimomura
91. Hellfire - Yoshitaka Suzuki/Yoko Shimomura
92. Magna Insomnia - Yoko Shimomura
93. Dawn - Yoko Shimomura
94. Somnus Ultima - Yoko Shimomura
95. Dewdrops at Dawn - Yoko Shimomura
96. Main Theme from FINAL FANTASY - Nobuo Uematsu
Old Dec 18, 2016, 03:39 PM

I think this might unfortunately my least favorite soundtrack of the main series FF games outside of X. The heartbreaking thing is that the best material on here really soars, but so much of the soundtrack is just serviceable. It's not captivating or particularly interesting outside of its in-game context and that kills me. Whether its the pastiche town themes or the many by-numbers ambient or battle themes, I just don't think a lot of the tracks have much to offer outside of my gameplay experiences.

I find that "Cartanica" onward mostly sees a huge quality increase over what precedes it. Not many tracks have the vibrance or richness that "Valse di Fantastica," "Wanderlust" or "APOCALYPSIS NOCTIS" demonstrate. Those tracks, to me, are simultaneously very Shimomura while being very distinctively "FFXV" at the same time. They set the tone without being adequate "Destati" retreads ("OMNIS LACRIMA") or through-and-through exercises in genre ("Galdin Quay," "A Quick Pit Stop," "Starlit Waltz").

It's disappointing that after ten years I can walk away from this record and think "it's okay" and not "even as not Shimomura's biggest fan, this is her masterpiece."

Also, if Kenji Ito wants to do FFXVI, that'd be great, thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:16 AM

I'm not convinced the above credits are entirely accurate. For instance, Daemons and Ravus Aeterna (using a theme of Shimomura's) are both clearly written by the composer of Hellfire, Suzuki. I guess we'll have to wait for a more reliable source.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1234 View Post
I'm not convinced the above credits are entirely accurate.
I was under the impression she composed the whole score by herself as some themes keep repeating and "KH / FF" references are everywhere.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
if Kenji Ito wants to do FFXVI, that'd be great, thanks.
Cheers for that!