VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:50 PM

Default Official English track names for VG music

So as I'm going through my favorite video games, thinking about the music, looking at my collection, a thought keeps occurring to me: I really wish that there was a list somewhere for official track titles in English of all major first-party Nintendo titles. (Well, it would be cool for all games of course--it just so happens that Nintendo is my personal preference.)

Among the games that I play, probably about half have official soundtrack releases. Of those, the vast majority are Japanese-only soundtrack albums, with maybe the occasional Engrish track title thrown in. Sure, fans have translated song titles for just about all Japanese soundtracks, and that's a good thing. But a translation is not the same thing as a localization, and ultimately those translated titles are fanon. (Don't get me wrong, though--I definitely appreciate all their efforts!)

What I would love to do--though I doubt it's possible at this point--is to compile a catalog of official English song titles to every track from every major Mario and Zelda (and maybe Metroid?) game. I know there are a handful of these games that have soundtracks released in the West (e.g. Paper Mario, Majora's Mask, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.). The Super Smash Bros. series, starting with Brawl, has been a huge help with showing official English song titles thanks to those games' extensive sound test features--but even still, it's selected tracks from various games, nothing comprehensive.

But imagine if Nintendo decided to release a Mario or Zelda Jukebox, with all the music and proper titles and everything?

I'm very curious about how the process works, though. Did the folks on the SSB localization team determine track titles for old games then and there? Or are those titles in a vault somewhere? Are there any other sources for finding official English titles other than the occasional American or European OST or sound test? Would somebody who works at the Nintendo Treehouse know?