VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 2, 2009, 08:20 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 08:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd go with "Ada the Spy Who Lived", because the verb is a relative clause, and because it's in the past tense of the continuous form. That's purely literal though, so I could be wrong about the intended meaning.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 09:22 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Are you sure it isn't more like "used to be alive, but not longer is alive"? I don't know enough about the character Ada to know if that's accurate.

I think in general, the style guides say that the commas are required:

Quote:
Use commas to set off a word, phrase, or clause that is in apposition to a noun unless it is necessary to complete the meaning of the sentence.

His son, Mike, was late. (his only son)

Her son Mike was elected president. (one of two or more sons)
However, I think it would feel funny here. I'd think of "Ada the Spy" as being a character name, not needing the commas.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 06:09 AM
VGMdb Staff

[QUOTE=Prime Blue;13499]I changed the album title from "The female spy Ada lives" as that's just not what you'd translate "onna spy" to (same for "dancer" and "dancing woman").

I think I understand what you mean but I see no problem with writing it "female spy" is English, just as you might word it "female dancer" as a way of further specifying what you're referring to. I mean in the end "onna spy" is a reference, specifically, to a female spy. But I partly worded it so because it was the best-sounding way of translating the title that I could think of. The problem with "Ada the Spy" for example is that it makes it sound like a nickname, and it could just as well also be interpreted as "Ada, the Spy is Alive", becoming a reference to another spy.

(also, there's no need to the all-caps in display album title.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Are you sure it isn't more like "used to be alive, but not longer is alive"? I don't know enough about the character Ada to know if that's accurate.
This is a case where a character is believed (by the player) to have died during the game, but apparently (and surprisingly so) survived.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:38 AM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:12 AM.