VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:29 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Why was the composer featured ?
Previous Joypad Records releases did not have any "featured" artists.
It seems like they got the agreements from the right holders.

Last edited by Myrkul; Jan 26, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:36 PM
VGMdb Staff

Well you know I did read this '08 discussion (with not so clear conclusions) some time ago and thought in the end that 'featured' option is... less problematic if the composer isn't 'musically' (yeah it's bad wording) involved on a fan album at all, and sometimes even on official albums, but it's more complicated there (as having only composer's previous tracks fan-arranged in this case, not having anything new, directly, created by the composer because he/she wasn't 'musically' there at all). I understand this issue isn't so simple. Here Joypad releases commercial albums/singles that most of the time have fan arrangements; they work out the legal stuff and all that is ok and completely professional. So another thing that comes to mind is composer's discography - personally (again, it's just my opinion) it looks really strange to have these fan arranges in the composer's main discography part and not in the featured on part because it is essentially for featured on part due to the mentioned reasons.

tl;dr version - if simple legal agreement is now enough to be thought as involvement that will turn off featured option for these fan arranges, that's cool, good to know, but I don't really agree with it.

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am completely agree with your statements.

It's just that i said it was not done previously. And there's no clear policy about that kind of cases.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:56 PM

Interesting discussion!

The way we've always looked at cover songs is a collaboration between the arranger(s) and the composer(s), regardless of whether the arranger gets permission. The composer(s) still contributed to the finished product. For our part, we at least make sure that it's licensed and legal.