VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I have changed the title to "YOSSY ISLAND Original Sound Version" based on this:
  • The original, Japanese game cover has "YOSSY ISLAND" on it
  • The シー in ヨッシー makes it a y instead of i (in this case, as proven by the game cover)
  • I don't see a の or anything between ヨッシー and アイランド, so there shouldn't be a 's suffix.

Last edited by Nisto; May 9, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:17 PM

What if someone comes to the site, searches...
http://vgmdb.net/search?q=yoshi%27s+island
... and concludes that there isn't a soundtrack for the game?

It's a shame if improving the accuracy of submissions also means a trade-off in the usefulness of the site.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well there is the alt titles...
If you *really* want to be exact you could also add the "Super Mario" too.
(ie スーパーマリオ ヨッシーアイランド オリジナル・サウンド・ヴァージョン)
Old May 9, 2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
What if someone comes to the site, searches...
http://vgmdb.net/search?q=yoshi%27s+island
... and concludes that there isn't a soundtrack for the game?

It's a shame if improving the accuracy of submissions also means a trade-off in the usefulness of the site.
Wouldn't the fix to that be to include it in the Yoshi's Island Products page?

I think on first look thought people might not notice the tabs, so maybe a focus of the tab on what has the most results for people not logged in?
Old May 9, 2012, 02:13 PM

For my own cataloging, I concluded the title to be
☆ スーパーマリオ ☆ ヨッシーアイランド オリジナル・サウンド・ヴァージョン
Don't know if we want to use that here though. But the stars are everywhere, so I added them. Seems like a creative part of the title. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
I have changed the title to "YOSSY ISLAND Original Sound Version" based on this:
  • The original, Japanese game cover has "YOSSY ISLAND" on it
  • The シー in ヨッシー makes it a y instead of i
  • I don't see a の or anything between ヨッシー and アイランド, so there shouldn't be a 's suffix.
Basically you've changed this to a romaji title. That kind of thing really belongs in the romaji field. In fact, according to everyone in this thread, it doesn't even belong in the romaji field, because this isn't even how we do romaji.

I don't see this one lasting, because ヨッシー is romanized as Yoshi, and brute-force romaji readings for names aren't how we do it here. Not saying I don't agree with the change, just saying I don't think it follows our guidelines of how to name/romanize things.

EDIT: At the very least I see it being changed to "Yoshi Island", excluding the possessive case for the reason you gave.

Last edited by Hellacia; May 9, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Basically you've changed this to a romaji title. That kind of thing really belongs in the romaji field. In fact, according to everyone in this thread, it doesn't even belong in the romaji field, because this isn't even how we do romaji.
Note how it's on the actual game cover. The American release probably just had their own translation of ヨッシー. シ can be romanized a few different ways if you didn't know. C for example (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLOOD-C) The point is, it's not a "romaji" reading. It's the first official reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I don't see this one lasting, because ヨッシー is romanized as Yoshi, and brute-force romaji readings for names aren't how we do it here. Not saying I don't agree with the change, just saying I don't think it follows out guidelines of how to name/romanize things.
If it was "brute-force romaji", the title would now have been "Yosshy".
Old May 9, 2012, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It seems that, at different times, Nintendo has used Yoshi or Yossy as the romanization for "ヨッシー".

Here is an album that uses "Yoshi", predating Yoshi Island.

A bit more info can be found on the Yoshi page on wiki Japan.

Quote:
名前の綴りは、現在では"Yoshi"で統一されているが、かつては"Yossy"だったことがある。一例 として、SFCの『ヨッシーアイランド』の一部ステージでは、リフトのレールが「YOSSY」の形になって いる箇所がある。ただし、日本国外版では「YOSHI」の形になっている箇所がある。
This section is basically saying that both are used, but that Yossy predates Yoshi. In the SNES game Yoshi Island, there is some stage where the word YOSSY appears (apparently). But, outside Japan it is always Yoshi.

However, I'm not sure the wiki authors are correct about which came first. The album I link above was released 2 years before the Yoshi Island game. My thought on this - both should be included, but the possessive case should be removed. I would still lean towards Yoshi as display and Yossy as an alternate.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I would still lean towards Yoshi as display and Yosshy as an alternate.
Yosshy? It's currently Yossy without an h. Would you change it a second time?
Old May 9, 2012, 03:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's just a typo.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
(ie スーパーマリオ ヨッシーアイランド オリジナル・サウンド・ヴァージョン)
you forgot the TM after island ;p
Old May 9, 2012, 09:52 PM

I thought as far as roomaji is concerned you can only end on 'a' 'i' 'u' 'e' 'o' or 'n'

シー would be 'shii', no 'y' ending that I know of.

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:02 PM
VGMdb Staff

I don't think a game cover should take precedence in a case like this where an established way of writing already exists, especially since this will only causes problems and confusion. If 'Yossy Island Original Sound Version' had been the English title of the album that would have been different, but as it stands I really don't see the point in making things more complicated than they have to be.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:48 AM

I'm fine with it, but I think a search for "Yoshi's Island" should either return this album or the product page as a result, whichever way is most practical. Otherwise it's damaging the functionality of the site as I see it.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:14 AM

maybe the display title could be "yoshi island osv" (because yoshi is better known as yoshi)
and that yossy thing could be in alternative title (because that title exists on the japanese game cover)
Old May 10, 2012, 02:25 AM

Default Yoshihiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
maybe the display title could be "yoshi island osv" (because yoshi is better known as yoshi)
and that yossy thing could be in alternative title (because that title exists on the japanese game cover)
Agreed, but should we use just "Yoshi", not "Yoshi's"? Not sure how SQL is executed, but if one searches by "Yoshi's" as Blitz suggests?

Last edited by Cedille; May 10, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Agreed, but should we use just "Yoshi", not "Yoshi's"? Not sure how SQL is executed, but if one searches by "Yoshi's" as Blitz suggests?
it's the problem
yoshi island is direct reading of the jap title
yoshi's island (used in product repr) is the "english" title for the game

maybe, yoshi's island could be used as first/second alternative title (with yossy)
Old May 10, 2012, 04:36 AM
VGMdb Staff

nobody will ever search for yossy

...adding just some more alt titles is a trivial matter and no reason to drag this further, but that's just a personal opinion...

Last edited by Efendija; May 10, 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The album I link above was released 2 years before the Yoshi Island game.
Yeah, but the album was made by an English composer who was probably the one who came up with the track titles and used the Americanized spelling as a result.

Nintendo has used "Yossy" in the Japanese version of Yoshi's Cookie. On the official website for the Game Boy version spells the game's title as "Yossy Cookie" at the very least and it's possible the game's packing or manual might had used that spelling.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/cij/index.html

Here's a page from a Super Mario Yonkoma (comic strip) anthology that uses "Yossy" as well. I don't know which anthology this is from, but the credited illustrator (Natsuki Mamiya) worked on a lot of books.
http://booru.ehkzai.com/index.php?q=...4&search=yossy

Personally, I would just use "Yoshi's Island" as a main title and "Yossy Island" as an alternate title/redirect.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:44 PM

Can always draw from first appearance? Which was Super Mario World, the track in English closest to the name was Morning of Yoster Island http://vgmdb.net/db/covers-full.php?id=50423
Track 3

However I say use Yoshi Island, alternative titles of Yossy and link it to the product page for Yoshi's Island
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:55 AM

Just for the record, Nintendo uses "Yossy no Cookie" and "Yossy no Tamago" for internal names in both of those Game Boy titles.
http://tcrf.net/Super_Game_Boy_1_and_2
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:15 PM

found this explanation: http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-...-called-yossy/

"...
In essence, some folks on the Japanese side thought, “Hey, we should write ヨッシー’s name in English here to make it look cool. Since I learned how to spell Japanese words with English letters in school, I’ll put that knowledge to use!” And out came “Yossy”… but the intended pronunciation is still “Yoshi”. They didn’t realize that for English speakers, that spelling would be pronounced more like “yaw-see”.

So the whole “Yossy” vs. “Yoshi” thing is just a misunderstanding resulting from different spelling styles. This issue, the whole l/r problem, and a number of other things is why I often say that even when a Japanese creator explicitly gives an English spelling of a name, you sometimes have to be cautious about it. What they intended and how it really comes across to English speakers doesn’t always match, as seen here.

So, to sum everything up, you can just consider “Yossy” an alternate spelling of “Yoshi” that’s still pronounced like “Yoshi”."

Last edited by Yotsuya; Apr 23, 2014 at 03:58 PM.