VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:56 PM

animation shouldn't be selected since those "anime" songs are used in a game, the product represented must reflect what it is and not what it contains
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:15 PM

So I was listening to this soundtrack recently and 疾・風・神・雷 came up, and if it's anything this soundtrack does an amazing job with, it's that flashy anime-style hero music. It's such a great song, one time through is never enough!

In our entry, I notice that we have this translated with the word disease...? Sure 疾 can mean that, but like all Japanese characters, it can have different meanings, and "disease" doesn't make any sense here. 疾・風・神・雷 is Dairaioh's theme. Dairaioh has an attack called "Jinrai", which is 神雷, the last two characters in the track name - it basically means "divine lightning". 疾風 is shippu, meaning "swift wind". I understand that the characters are spaced out and so we want to translate it like that, but 疾 can refer to swiftness. I think if we're going to translate it like this, it should be more like "Swift - Wind - Divine - Lightning".
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortavia View Post

In our entry, I notice that we have this translated with the word disease...? Sure 疾 can mean that, but like all Japanese characters, it can have different meanings, and "disease" doesn't make any sense here. 疾・風・神・雷 is Dairaioh's theme. Dairaioh has an attack called "Jinrai", which is 神雷, the last two characters in the track name - it basically means "divine lightning". 疾風 is shippu, meaning "swift wind". I understand that the characters are spaced out and so we want to translate it like that, but 疾 can refer to swiftness. I think if we're going to translate it like this, it should be more like "Swift - Wind - Divine - Lightning".
actually, it's just 疾風神雷 with middots (to give a certain tone like you could say Ramza. Is. A. Noob. ;p)
it mustn't be translated by "Swift - Wind - Divine - Lightning"
疾風神雷 -> 疾風迅雷
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:51 PM

Oh, well, I actually agree with you 100%, I just thought that for some reason we wanted to translate it that way. I'm still fairly new here and VGMdb has its policies, like "always write something the way it's written", so I assumed we were translating something "the way it was written". But absolutely, I don't think it's appropriate the way it's currently translated. It's wordplay so to speak, and it's written that way to give emphasis, like you described. It's meant to give it flair, as in "SHI - PU - JIN - RAI"... can't you hear it now? Hahaa.

I think it should just be Shippu Jinrai, these characters strike me as the names of things more than anything else.