VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:37 PM

It seems that Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's credits as "R.三郎丸" might be better rendered in romaji as "R. Saburomaru" rather than "R. Saburo."
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think "R.三郎丸" is actually a kanji representation of "R.360".
Old Dec 3, 2008, 06:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's what I've always thought, given that the R-360 is a Sega arcade cabinet and a bunch of the other S.S.T. Band members' nicknames came from Sega arcade games: Jouji "GALAXY" Iijma/Galaxy Force, Kimitaka "HARRIER" Matsumae/Space Harrier, etc.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:47 PM

That's true about the R.360 cabinet connection. But "R.三郎丸" is pronounced R. Saburomaru. The last character is for circle or zero, "maru."

For instance, if you plug in "三郎丸" into the following dictionary:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwjdic.cgi?9T

It gives you 三郎丸 【さぶろうまる】 Saburoumaru

Last edited by Jeriaska; Dec 16, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

It's indeed pronounced Saburomaru (source: this page -- also an awesome resource for S.S.T. Band in general).

I think the mistake was introduced when referring to the credits on this page, which leaves out the 丸 character. All other pages credit him as R三郎丸 however (without the period between R and Saburomaru).

I think a compromise can be reached by creating an alias entry with the display name as "R360", but with the individual name fields as "R Saburomaru", "R三郎丸" and "あーる さぶろうまる" respectively.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:55 PM

I think you're right. The links on the SST Band page link to "saburou," while crediting Mitsuyoshi as 「あーる さぶろうまる」. I'm guessing he was called both interchangeably.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 02:25 PM

Some more about Mitsuyoshi here, including the pseudonym:

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/12/...enobu_mits.php
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:02 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Regarding the Street Fighter Tribute Track question:
"Initially I had in mind that I would write English lyrics, so I chose an 80’s American pop style with a fast-pace. The only thing I regret is using the direct translation from an online service, so the words themselves do not quite manage to express what I had in mind."

That would have been a chance to follow up with asking what WAS the meaning he had in mind, if the auto web-translation wasn't exactly correct. I assume it's the "I wanna know how tough is" part of the lyrics, so this would have been a good opportunity to ask more about the meaning he DID have in mind in order to clear his conscience.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:40 PM

Hey Carl. This article is going to have a follow-up of sorts as the 2008 EXTRA soundtrack release approaches. I'll forward your request for a little more info on the Ryu theme lyrics in case it weighs heavily on his mind, though I got the impression that it's not such a subject of concern.