VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:52 AM

Pretty fascinating. What would you say are your favourite game scores then?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:06 AM

haha yes the results are almost entirely what i expected, with maybe the exception of Shoji Meguro (I would have expected someone like Kenji Ito instead; more of a household name.) I think the results are accurate, too.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hi all! Thanks for participating in this survey. I think it's been very interesting. The article is now at last up, featuring the top 20 plus commentary:

http://squareenixmusic.com/features/...omposers.shtml

Any thoughts on the results? Expected or surprising? Positive surprises? Disappointments?

I'm personally pretty pleased and think the results fit quite well with what I expected, plus my own listings. I would have wanted at least one Western composer and would have switched Hamauzu with Sugiyama. But overall, pretty cool.

Anyway, sorry for the delay! Hope you enjoy it. Hopefully do something like this again soon.
Interesting but definitely not unexpected. I admit I probably have a very niche taste but it was nice getting it confirmed :P
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I'm kinda glad the results are relatively expected, since it was basically a survey of popular (if still fairly expert) opinion. But if anyone ever wants to do a feature like 'Top Ten Underlooked Composers', I'd always be happy to publish it. It reminds me I need to find some time to write more about Hoshino myself!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm kinda glad the results are relatively expected, since it was basically a survey of popular (if still fairly expert) opinion. But if anyone ever wants to do a feature like 'Top Ten Underlooked Composers', I'd always be happy to publish it. It reminds me I need to find some time to write more about Hoshino myself!
If you want help writing about Hoshino or just some additional info/insight hook me up man! You can e-mail me at mattias [at] anosou [dot] com. Don also talks to me pretty much every night on IRC and can inform you how to get a hold of me there

Overall I'm way too horny on the underlooked guys so I'm always up for writing about them!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:14 PM

Yep, those results were very expected, although I agree with Lunar about Meguro--Ito must certainly be more widely praised.
*coughnotthatItodeservestobeontop10anythingexceptperhaps toptenmostrtisticallystuntedcomposerscough*

Koshiro's placement also surprises me. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me on a 'top ten VGM composers in general' list, but here? I guess I don't think of him as an RPG composer. I think of him for titles like Actraiser 1 & 2, Streets of Rage, or those mindless Wangan Midnight albums. I'm glad this curiosity was noted in the article.

Nice write-up Chris, it was a good experiment. I wish you could have gotten more participants, but the more communities you expand to the less knowledgeable about VGM people tend to be. The results would get increasingly homogeneous as more surveys are taken.

I also expected Saori Kobayashi's general lack of renown to exclude her from the list, even though I maintain that she's the best ever.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
But if anyone ever wants to do a feature like 'Top Ten Underlooked Composers', I'd always be happy to publish it. It reminds me I need to find some time to write more about Hoshino myself!
that'd be a little odd, i'm not even sure how that could work. unpopularity is very hard to measure and collect data on. it'd be tough to represent something like that factually in the same way as popularity. gathering the sum of public opinion on unpopular composers is sort of paradoxical in nature by definition that makes them more popular than the guys that aren't mentioned, thus less applicable than them for an article. otherwise we then have to have the top ten underlooked underlooked composers, and so on ~

that aside, the problem i'd anticipate is everyone suggesting all sorts of different guys, then ensuing debates on who's more unpopular than who. there's no small amount to pick from after all; how do you narrow it down? and if purely favouring unpopularity, where does it end? because you'd end up with john smith who composed for an rpg maker game once. hey, he's more unpopular than Motoaki Takenouchi after all!

perhaps i'm reading into this but you hopefully see my point haha. it's an interesting concept but a tricky thing to work in practice.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:35 PM

Actually, I just meant a solo feature, not an ensemble piece. Sorry that wasn't clear. So a single person with a very broad and detailed knowledge of VGM lists ten composers who they feel deserve more general recognition. I agree polling or surveying who is the most overlooked composer is ridiculous and beats the purpose.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:46 PM

my bad. that makes a lot more sense. the only sane way to do it would be subjectively, indeed.
actually, i wouldn't mind trying something like that, myself, maybe even just privately.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
mindless Wangan Midnight albums.
Some of my favourite VGM albums right there! And I'm not even a trancehead.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Hi all! Thanks for participating in this survey. I think it's been very interesting. The article is now at last up, featuring the top 20 plus commentary:

http://squareenixmusic.com/features/...omposers.shtml

Any thoughts on the results? Expected or surprising? Positive surprises? Disappointments?

I'm personally pretty pleased and think the results fit quite well with what I expected, plus my own listings. I would have wanted at least one Western composer and would have switched Hamauzu with Sugiyama. But overall, pretty cool.

Anyway, sorry for the delay! Hope you enjoy it. Hopefully do something like this again soon.
Somewhat disappointing results, though that's also pretty much what I expected.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 06:33 AM

1 - Nobuo Uematsu
2 - Kimitaka Matsumae (Jade Cocoon)
3 - Tomohito Nishiura (Dark Cloud)
4 - Masashi Hamauzu
5 - Some Western Composers
Old Oct 1, 2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltlick View Post
2 - Kimitaka Matsumae (Jade Cocoon)
Right on my brother.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:06 AM

Might as well do a top-5. There just isn't enough (J)RPG composers for good solid top-10.

1. Yoshitaka Hirota
2. Kenji Ito
3. Shoji Meguro
4. Konami Kukeiha Club (Genso Suikoden)
5. Miki Higashino

Special mention for Breath of Fire II & III sound teams.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:07 PM

1. Nobuo Uematsu
2. Yasnuori Mitsuda
3. Yoko Shimomura
4. Hitoshi Sakimoto
5. Masashi Hamauzu
6. Shoji Meguro
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:31 PM

Nevermind.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:53 PM

My personal top 5:

1. Masashi Hamauzu (Gotta love those flashy violin solos)
2. Yoko Shimomura
3. Hitoshi Sakimoto
4. Junichi Masuda
5. Nobuo Uematsu

Pretty standard. >_>
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:24 AM

1. Shoji Meguro
2. Yasunori Mitsuda
3. Yoshitaka Hirota
4. Junya Nakano
5. Masashi Hamauzu

Five RPG composers... many more in other genres! :P

They were all pretty close, though haha.