VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:57 PM

This actually represents "Soul Blade" in America, and for the Playstation rather than Arcade in all regions. Wikipedia has some more info on it. Basically, this is an entirely different soundtrack than what's present on "Soul Edge" (even though this is still called Soul Edge in Japan).

Last edited by Hellacia; Mar 10, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:11 PM

It took me a second to get what you were talking about but you're right. The Kahn Super Session only appears in the Playstation version of the game as far as I know, not the Aracde. The Arcade soundtrack can actually be credited to the Arcade and the Playstation.

You can switch between the two scores in the game options menu on the PSX (there is also a third soundtrack option, which is an orchstrated version of the arcade score which has never been released on CD.)

"The Edge of Soul" single appears to be the only entry that notes the Playstation. Speaking of that song, too bad the game edit isn't on any official discs... the full length version is way too long.

Last edited by Brad Evans; Mar 10, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans View Post
You can switch between the two scores in the game options menu on the PSX (there is also a third soundtrack option, which is an orchstrated version of the arcade score which has never been released on CD.)
I like it when people give out information like this. Quite informative. I only played Soul Blade once, VERY briefly, but I still remember some of the music when I listen to the Khan Super Session. It's awesome stuff.

I like knowing about missing / alternate tracks in games. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I like knowing about missing / alternate tracks in games. Thanks for the info.
No problem. I've always found Namco including multiple soundtracks in that port as one of it's pluses. It's nice to be able to switch over to a different set of tracks every once and while even though both scores are good.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Some of the scans (back, booklet 12) are from the Ever Anime bootleg, but does anybody know if the rest of the booklet and front are too?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd venture a guess that the whole set is from the Bootleg.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 03:10 PM

What about the current uploads that are dated this year?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 03:24 PM

The BVCH-732 catalog number is on them, so they look good.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:04 AM

Has anyone actually translated the booklet liner notes? I'm intrigued.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
Has anyone actually translated the booklet liner notes? I'm intrigued.
I prefer not to translate it but I can post the original text found in the booklet p. 21-22. There are many online translation sites that can give you a decent understanding of the real meaning of what it's written in japanese.

Working on the transcript of those pages, I've found important information about the band formed just for this game (KHAN), and with that information I've been to be able to figure out the real identities of some of its members.

Quote:
KHANの源流は、A • JYOTA PROJECT (ア•ジョッタ•プロジェクト) という、プロジェクトに発している。
This line contains the information on which my modest findings are based. It says that KHAN comes from another band/project called "A JYOTA". Evidently some of the members of the original band were part of KHAN, two are confirmed: the leader and the singer.

So, the question is: What's the real name of Beten Maru (弁天丸)? It's Masahiro Ohki (大木 將弘), at least according to this source or this other one. So, mystery solved, this is the man behind the alias of Beten Maru.

The singer of KHAN is this artist whose profile includes the year of KHAN's dissolution (1997). On her facebook page you can see a romanization of its name: Minori Saikyo.

But there are two more members of KHAN, whose identities are still a mystery.

I've found a likely candidate for the identity of 希之輔 (drummer and master percussionist of the band), and he is 皿田泰二 (source); it's a bit difficult to see but before the mention of "A・JYOTTA" his name is cited. It doesn't exist an official romanization for this artist and I can't prove that he was the only member of A Jyota in charge of the percussion and, consequently, that he is 希之輔.
The artist credited for koto (箏) and not for fude (what the hell is that!) as it says in the album page, is the most mysterious of all. The only clue to discover who is 千賀, I've found it here. At the bottom, there are credits for the performers of two A Jyota's albums and there is an artist credited for koto (琴:早苗局), but I'm afraid that 早苗局 is just another alias that leads to nowhere.

If someone wants to use this information to update the artists or album's pages, feel free to do so.

Last edited by isdapi; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

^^^ Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
The artist credited for koto (箏) and not for fude (what the hell is that!)
A fude is an ink brush. Methinks Revoc mixed up its kanji (筆) with 箏.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
A fude is an ink brush. Methinks Revoc mixed up its kanji (筆) with 箏.
Wow! Sorry for this awful mistake.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoc View Post
Wow! Sorry for this awful mistake.
Don't worry too much, I've met native speakers who made the same mistake!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:32 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Don't worry too much, I've met native speakers who made the same mistake!
Interesting. But I should notice that fude isn't a musical instrument. =p
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
I prefer not to translate it but I can post the original text found in the booklet p. 21-22. There are many online translation sites that can give you a decent understanding of the real meaning of what it's written in japanese.
Please do, and thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:45 PM

I warn you, the transcripts may contain some minor inaccuracies.

Booklet p. 21:
Spoiler:
The Long Way to the Another Soul Edge…

それはまさに険しく長い道のりだった。振り返るのも恐ろしいほどの果てしない打ち合わせ、剣と剣をまみえて の激しいバ卜ル、切っても切っても尽きない茨の道、そして背後から迫り来る数々の強敵、そして··· おおっ、今まさに目前に広がる紺碧の大海原!遠くに輝く水平線の向こうにはどんな世界が待っているというの だろう···。

PS版ソウルエッジKHAN Super Sessionの音楽は、皆さんご存じの業務用"ソウルエッジ"のBGMとは違ったアプローチを取りました 。業務用ゲーム機からの移植でありながら、あえて業務用BGMのアレンジは避け、いわば”もう一つのソウル エッジの世界”を音楽というスタンスから展開出来ないであろうか•••そんなナムコの想いこそが、このKH AN Super Session BGMです。仕様上ゲーム中では短くエディッ卜した楽曲を使用しているため、このCDはその"完全盤"とい えるでしよう。リーダ一の弁天丸さんをはじめ、御協力頂いたすべての方々に深く感謝する次第です。

あー、しかし思えば思うほどスーパーなセッションだつたなあ!!(スケジュールもスーパー•ヘビーだつ たけど···)
(株)ナムコ 開発制作部 高柳

Booklet p. 22:
Spoiler:
〜魂の果てへの旅•KHAN〜

日本から発信されるゲームは、またたく間に、世界中の人々を魅了した。
日本が世界に誇る、数少ない文化のひとつに数えられる様になつた。
KHANが「Soul Edge」の音楽を担当するということは、日本の最先端の技術と文化に触れるということであり、古典と現代 の融合点を垣間見るということであった。
なんちやつて、堅い文章で始まって、知識と教養をキラリと光らせてしまったが、我々が「KHAN」である。
お初にお目にかかるが、そもそも「KHAN」とは何ぞや?
「KHAN」は、みのり(ボーカル、お囃し、舞踏)と、千賀(琴,箏)、希之輔(銅鑼噎、ドラムス、和太鼓 、鳴物全般)、弁天丸(中国琵琶、ギター)の四名で構成されているバンドなのだ。特に、銅鑼噴(どらむと読 む)は、大小様々な和太鼓を、ドラムセッ卜の様に組み上げたオリジナルな物である。また、琵琶には、ピック アップを仕込み、でっかいアンプをブイブイ言わせることができる。これだけでも充分、変なバンドであると自 負(?)している。
KHANの源流は、「A • JYOTA PROJECT (ア•ジョッタ•プロジェクト) 」という、プロジェクトに発している。
このプロジェクトは、10年程前にスタートし、日本を中心としたアジアの古典楽器、伝統楽器だけを使って( !!)ポップスや,ロックやダンスミュージックを演奏する突飛な集団であつた。こういった楽器を使うと、や たら民族性をふりかざしたり、保守的であったり、逆に前衛的すぎてアバンギャルドだつたりしてしまう人違が 多い中、いけシャアシャアといかにも簡単そうにポップスしている特異なグループだったのである。(実際にこ うした形で演奏するのは非常に難しく、また当時としては、確かに風当たりも強かったのである。今でこそ、類 似(?)商品も出てきたが…。
そういう僕も、途中からの参加になるのだが、初めてこうした楽器に触れた時には、目が点になるどころか、貧 血を起こしそうになつた。今まで蓄積してきた物が、一旦総崩れになり、分子構造を変えてまた吹き出してくる 様な感覚にとらわれた。
しかし、多くのノウ八ウを学び、歴史を学び、民族学•民俗学を吸収していく内に、それが音楽に跳ね返ってく るのを、感じ取れる様になってきた。ロうるさいプロデューサーに怒鳴られるのも、素直に閩ける様になってき た。分子構造が形成し始めてきた様である。
更に一歩進んで、様々な楽器やスタイルを取り込み、最先端の技術の中に飛び込んでゆく必要性も感じている。 こうして編成されたのが「KHAN」である。いわばア•ジョッタ選抜突擊部隊なのだ!!
とは言うものの、今回も非常に多くの方達に助言をいただき、やつと完成したアルバムである。感謝、感激、雨 アラレである。!!世界を目指し、今日も行く〜。世界は広いが、世界はひとつ〜!!
魂の果てへの旅がまだ始まったばかりである。もう一回位、分子構造が崩壊することもあるかもしれない。
しかし、我々はめげない!!
我々も、日本の文化の一端を担っているのだ!!
さて、突擊する前に、一服だ…。
KHAN リーダー: 弁天丸
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:08 AM

Thank you

google translation from page 22:

"In no time, the game that originates from Japan, has attracted people from all over the world.
Japan boasts the world, has become like that is one of the few cultures."

I want to go back to 1996.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:56 AM

I'd like to make a few things clear about the last edit to the album page.

I've preferred to transcribe the information just as it appears on the booklet, even if it's not completely correct (Credits for tracks 5 & 11 are incorrectly written: Hijiri Kuwano Strings, Hiroshi Kumagai are not guitarists by any means). Also, I've changed some words to be more accurate with the original meaning.

For example, Pipa instead of Biwa (reason), Wadaiko (broad term for japanese drums) instead of Taiko or Narimono (english explanation, japanese explanation) instead of Music.

And the romanization of 弁天丸 it's from the own game credits.

Last edited by isdapi; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:39 PM

I have the original copy if anyone would like me to get those scans running?
Old May 22, 2013, 03:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think someone already scanned them. It looks like the whole set was uploaded in 2012, replacing the bootleg copy that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Thanks for offering though.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:35 AM

Ok, good, cause I was looking at them and thought, those bootlegs are getting better at looking like the real deal.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:34 AM

Anybody know why this soundtrack was not included in the remaster box set for soul edge, soul calibur a few years ago? Odd that they ignored this
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:01 AM

they maybe didn't get the rights for that
Old Jul 20, 2020, 09:54 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Changed the english tracklist to make the tracks in capital like they are in the booklet. Only issue is the "ENGLISH ~Japanese~" tracks, feel free to edit that out as you wish.