VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't think this is a widely known fact, but the actual BGM in Ni no Kuni was handled by Rei Kondoh and not Joe Hisaishi, who probably only composed the main orchestral themes. I wonder if Kondoh's work is featured in this album, considering 21 tracks seems quite short to me.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:05 PM
Trusted Editor

So it's a bit like the Kajiura/Hosoe composition split in Xenosaga II?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, I guess. T's Music handled sound production for the game, with Hiroyuki Hamada as sound director and Rei Kondoh as composer.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:12 PM

Interesting! I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. An entirely orchestral video game soundtrack by Hisaishi just seemed too good to be true.

EDIT: Still really interested in this though. I don't really know much about Rei Kondoh. I wonder what it will be like?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:31 PM

Hoho,sounds interesting.

Zanasea, any source of this information?

In my opinion, most tracks of the game rip really sounds like Joe Hisaishi's style
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:04 PM

Meanwhile, would someone be willing to check the current translation? Not to sure how to handle those in-game terms (03, 09, 10, 15, 16).
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfr6666 View Post
Zanasea, any source of this information?
The game manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Still really interested in this though. I don't really know much about Rei Kondoh. I wonder what it will be like?
You better be interested. I think Rei Kondoh is one of the best among the youngest generation of VGM composers. (His first well-known game project was Okami.)
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:51 AM

Well at least in the game rip there is just enough orchestral music to fill a single disc present on the DS cartridge and it certainly sounds like Hisaishi so it is possible that this release is just the orchestral Hisaishi music.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:29 AM

Hi all,

Hisaishi is credited as composer of the whole ost on the official site:http://www.up-front-works.jp/frame/ostninokuni/

After listening to ost and rip again, I find that there are about 15 tracks which are not included in the ost. So? According to the information that Zanasea has provided, these 15 tracks should be composed by Rei Kondoh.

It is quite a pity that Rei Kondoh's tracks are not released this time. Actually his tracks are also amazing.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:04 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm very disappointed Kondoh's tracks were omitted. Hopefully they will make a new soundtrack when the PS3 releases.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
I'm very disappointed Kondoh's tracks were omitted. Hopefully they will make a new soundtrack when the PS3 releases.
With all due respect, even omitted the music we have now is probably some of the best orchestral music I have heard since Williams.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Never said the contrary. I'm just complaining about an incomplete soundtrack.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 06:55 PM

I suppose I am speaking from the perspective of the Western side of things. We are frankly spoiled by the Japanese. The Bayonetta and Okami releases are testament to that. We would never get anything even half of that caliber from the West.

So, I suppose if you compare this release to others in that country; yeah, this is incomplete. But I am just used to it, and it doesn't bother me that much.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Beautiful score, some tracks remind me of the Laputa soundtrack. Immediately had to think of that scene in Laputa where the airship crew gets into the brawl with the villagers

Anyway, like Zana I'm a bit disappointed to see that Rei Kondoh's work didn't see any love (yet).

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Feb 19, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:47 PM

Fun. Just went to buy this and it apparently went out of print in the last couple weeks. Does Wayo ship to the United States? Can't find it on their list of countries when registering.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:07 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes we do.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:33 PM

What's the country I select? It's not under U.

Edit: Interesting. My wife happened to know what United States was in French. Learn something new every day!

Last edited by Arcubalis; Mar 4, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 05:59 AM
Trusted Editor

official English localization is "Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn". Should this be the new album title?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 09:56 AM
VGMdb Staff

Display title generally comes from the album cover(s). If there's an English title printed somewhere on the JP release (anywhere really), it will be display title. If not, romaji stays on the display line.
Official English localization can be added as alternative title line at any time though.

Not JP exclusive thing, if you got a Russian release with only Russian title on the covers, you're not supposed to put English as display, as an alternative title it's fine. So it's for any language really.

Anyway, there's no English release of the DS version, right? This is just a tentative title as stated on the site? The English release of the game is yet to come (if ever). I don't remember what vgmdb's doing in this situation...
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:08 AM
Trusted Editor

alright, just making sure. I'm also assuming these same rules apply for the product links?

and what about using the official English tracklist from this album here? any objections?

Last edited by dissident93; Apr 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

For product links it's different, (official) English titles are preferred regardless, tooltip from edit page:

Quote:
It's best to use the English game name, but you can also include the Japanese and PAL names by including them in parenthesis (e.g. Drakengard (Drag-on Dragoon).)
so for products pattern should be
English official (Japanese original)

About the Wayo release, yep, that was official so their translation can be added as new tracklist here (and set as default) while still keeping 'literal' tracklist.