VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So they are including a soundtrack disc then, my word.

I have a sinking feeling this will be like the Mario anniversary disc, but even if this CD only contains 78 minutes of Green Greens I'll still probably acquire fifteen copies of it so whatever.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:06 PM

Kirby fans should demand better, CHz. Boycott!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:46 PM

Already confirmed that 45 tracks will be on this disc. MUCH better than the Super Mario 25th anniversary soundtrack collection.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/kirby20th/...ion/index.html
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that's different than the enclosed disc in the Kirby collection. That appears to be a RETURN TO DREAMLAND SOUNDTRACK AVAILABLE THROUGH POINTS FROM CLUB NINTENDO ?????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:50 PM

Aw, really? Drat.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, COINCIDENTALLY, this disc is apparently also going to have 42 OST tracks and 3 arrangements. 1-4 OST selections from sixteen different games, so this indeed will be a bit more expansive than the Mario one.

Here's a video of the recording session of one of the arrangements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGbe23BeCQ

Last edited by CHz; Jul 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:01 PM

Nice! I spy a Shogo Sakai in that video
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
Trusted Editor

CHz, I'm sure you can handle the compositional credits from the games list in the notes? :P
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I can! I think I can even fill in all of the staffs from memory, geez what is wrong with me.

I was just holding off for now in the hopes that the album will have credits or there'll be an interview like there was for the Mario anniversary disc, since otherwise there'll be a lot of group credits without specifics known.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
Trusted Editor

alright, gotcha
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Got my copy of this today. Unsurprisingly, there's no artist info anywhere. Even the bonus track arrangers are uncredited!

So I wasted my time slapping some info together for this thing. If I've left anything out, let me know! Here are lengthier notes on the reprises and such:

Kirby Super Star: Gourmet Race is Ishikawa's through the SSBM orchestra album and GMC5, Halberd is Ishikawa's through SSBB, Marx I guarantee is Ishikawa's but I don't believe that's been officially confirmed ("Marx's Theme" is supposedly arranged on GMC5 but it's actually just the boss theme).

Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land: Rainbow Resort originally from Kirby's Adventure, Tower of Minibosses originally from Kirby's Dream Land.

Kirby Air Ride: Fantasy Meadows to Sakai from the sampler. Fountain of Dreams is Ishikawa's composition originally; the Air Ride arrangement is actually exactly the same as Melee's but looped slightly earlier. Don't think the composer of City is known (Sakai??).

Kirby: Canvas Curse: Tiny Town is a reprise of Bubbly Clouds from Kirby's Dream Land. Canvas Canyon is the forest stage theme from Kirby's Adventure. The Drawcia phase 1 theme is original.

Kirby: Squeak Squad: Prism Plains is a reprise of Grass Land 3 from Kirby's Dream Land 3. I believe Vocal Volcano is original (this is the least sure I am about reprise/original on this album). The Squeak Squad theme definitely is.

Kirby Super Star Ultra: Track 29 is a slightly looser than usual arrangement of the everpresent King Dedede theme. Track 30 is the Ripple Star map theme from Kirby 64, which is not on the soundtrack so the composer there is unknown. Track 31 is original (Ishikawa~).

Kirby's Epic Yarn: Tracks 33 & 34 are reprises from Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Adventure respectively. Notes from the Iwata Asks interview:
  • Tomita established the sound of the game, and his original compositions appear in the first stages. HAL was brought in later to help, and their arrangements appear in the later stages. They don't say it was an absolutely strict division between original composition and reprise arrangement, but any crossover was probably minimal.
  • Ikegami did management only; HAL's music was done by Ishikawa and Ando. They "split up making the songs." (I think the two here are are both Ando.)

Kirby Mass Attack: Down to One is a Kirby's Triumphant Return / Green Greens reprise.

Track 43: Iceberg (KDL3 / Ishikawa) ~ Cave Stage (KSS / ??) ~ Gourmet Race (KSS / Ishikawa) ~ Float Islands (KDL / Ishikawa) ~ Green Greens (KDL / Ishikawa) ~ Battle with the Boss (KSS / Ishikawa) ~ Forest Level (KA / Ando) ~ Battle with the Boss again ~ Green Greens again

Track 44: Gourmet Race (KSS / Ishikawa) ~ Green Greens (KDL / Ishikawa)

Track 45: Tomorrow Is a New Day (KSS / ??) ~ Beginning of Level 8 (KA / Ando) ~ Ending Demo (KA / Ando)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:34 AM

Do Ikegami, Isemura, Tomita etc. not get credited in the composer field? I thought it'd make sense to credit all composers rather than credit none whenever there's any ambiguity (so at least the album would appear on their artist profiles.)

Too bad about the lack of credits, I was hoping this would have some even more than the Kirby Wii album... especially bizarre in the case of the arrangements, I'll have to listen to 'em somehow and use my super magical musical intuition powers.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
Do Ikegami, Isemura, Tomita etc. not get credited in the composer field? I thought it'd make sense to credit all composers rather than credit none whenever there's any ambiguity (so at least the album would appear on their artist profiles.)
I'm one of those curmudgeons who doesn't like albums to appear on artists' profiles if they're not confirmed to have any music by those artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
I'll have to listen to 'em somehow and use my super magical musical intuition powers.
#43: Ishikawa!
#44: Sakai? (I'm kind of defaulting to him because he had the score during the recording session, but maybe he was just the engineer.)
#45: Ando
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
I'm one of those curmudgeons who doesn't like albums to appear on artists' profiles if they're not confirmed to have any music by those artists.
I'd put unconfirmed artists in there and just not link them until they are really confirmed either way (I thought that's how it has been done already anyway).
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:57 AM

Hi guys - I submitted a translation of this that I did, as the original names were different than what was in the US printing. http://vgmdb.net/album/35271
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
#43: Ishikawa!
#44: Sakai? (I'm kind of defaulting to him because he had the score during the recording session, but maybe he was just the engineer.)
#45: Ando
Just wanna say I listened to all three of them and I'm really not sure at all. They're good but I couldn't guess who arranged them - could be someone else entirely.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommando View Post
Hi guys - I submitted a translation of this that I did, as the original names were different than what was in the US printing. http://vgmdb.net/album/35271
A lot of the tracks on this album have already been translated, either on a different album or in a game. Let's see:

03 Plains Level [SRCL-2959 — 平地の面]
04 Cloud Level [SRCL-2959 — 雲の面]
06 Coo's Theme [KIRBY04-2]
08 Crash! Gourmet Race [DNPO-17176]
09 The Battleship Halberd: Interior [DNPO-17176]
10 Vs. Marx [DNPO-17176]
11 Sea Stage [KIRBY04-2]
12 Iceberg [KIRBY04-2]
13 Pop Star [TECD-27457]
14 Factory Tour [TECD-27457]
15 0² (Zero Two) [TECD-27457 — 0²(ゼロ・ツー)]
16 Ice Stage [KIRBY04-2]
17 Mid-Boss Tower [KIRBY04-2]
18 Air Ride: Plantes [KIRBY04-2]
19 Fountain of Dreams [various albums & games]
20 City Trial: Streets [KIRBY04-1]
21 Forest & Natural Area [KIRBY04-1]
22 Last Boss / 1st Form [KIRBY04-1]
23 Tiny Town [stage name]
24 Canvas Canyon [stage name]
25 Drawcia Sorceress [boss name]
26 Prism Plains [stage name]
27 Vocal Volcano [stage name]
29 Masked Dedede's Theme [DNPO-17176]
30 Helpers' Rest [DNPO-17176]
31 The Greatest Warrior in the Galaxy [DNPO-17176]
32 Fountain Gardens [sound test]
33 Green Greens [sound test]
34 Butter Building [sound test]
35 Meadow Breeze [sound test]
36 Kirby Conflict [sound test]
37 Piggy Enemy! [sound test]
38 Down to One [sound test]
39 With Four Buddies: Cookie Country [NTDO-17268]
40 Hiyah! Super Ability [NTDO-17268]

I'm posting this more as a consistency check than a list of corrections, as some of the Japanese titles are phrased differently and some of the English titles are rewritten a bit (#27, #36, etc.). Also, some of our old Kirby translations are not very good... (although I think some of these are better, like #14)

Some of the translations on the U.S. version of this disc are totally fine and can probably be backported elsewhere (like "Tower of Midbosses").
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I figured there would be a lot of differences - the 'literal translation' usually is quite different...

I did read up on the "Factory Tour" comments on the other thread, and that probably works better than "Factor Inspection", as the Japanese dictionary definition was a bit vague, but the alternate translations for "inspection" pulled up mostly different terms.

Yeah, I honestly don't know what you decide to go with on the site when the official translation is fishy. It doesn't seem likely that these games will be retranslated (unlike say Castlevania), so it sounds like a safe policy of going with the official translations, even if a lot of stuff is localized. There's also a real fuzzy area around literal translation vs. localization that doesn't really belong in this thread, but I will say it usually doesn't matter much unless it significantly changes the meaning or additional context is provided. Not saying the one I provided is any better, either! More a curiosity than anything else!

(I also find translating albums good practice - I haven't translated anything since about April after getting a new job and being burnt out by my previous translation project.)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 05:35 PM

Fountain Gardens (Track 32) was composed by Tomoya Tomita.