VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:10 AM

Question Desert-Themed VGM Playlist

Hello. I just made an account to make this thread, so pardon me if I'm violating any etiquette.

I'm looking for a playlist of desert-themed VGM that I had been listening to on YouTube for a couple years. It recently disappeared, and I'm kicking myself for not having saved the individual tracks that I most liked. It was probably the highest quality such playlist on YouTube - very few repeat tracks, and lots of old obscure ones. I've found other playlists searching on YT, but none of them comes close to this one.

Here's some more information:
- This is the URL (I bookmarked it, so I know there isn't a typo): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gcDLnKH90sIKm-
- It had 200+ videos, and the title was Video Game Desert Theme Music Playlist. It was an actual playlist, not a long video.
- I remember two tracks I often went back to:
- - Sailing the Lanayru Sea (from tLoZ: Skyward Sword)
- - one track from an old and dead Japanese MMO that went offline around 2012. It had some name like ____ Online. Elysium Online, maybe? The track itself had "temple" in the name, but aside from that I can't remember it.

I know there's a rule against sharing MP3s and copyrighted content, but all the videos should still be on YouTube (unless the entire playlist got taken down by a copyright strike, which I find unlikely). All I really need is a list of the videos or track names and I can rebuild it myself.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:13 AM

Disregarding the copyright angle of this... If someone deleted a YouTube playlist or their account was terminated, if there's no cached version of it and if you didn't archive it via archive.org or archive.today in time, then you're out of luck.

Not to sound patronising, but the lesson learned is: buy physical or at the very least digital media of the things you like and always keep backups yourself, otherwise you'll be at the mercy of some exploitative tech company.

As an aside, YouTube only got as big as it did by means of copyright infringements and by cutting copyright holders a check when it had to. It's hard to imagine nowadays, but in case you wanted to hear "Moonless Starry Night" from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles some 20 years ago, you either had to beat the game's final boss and sit through that 30 minutes of gameplay and cutscenes, or you had to do a recording of the song yourself for future reference. Kids nowadays (oh, how I was longing to use that one!) just take everything for granted because it is all served to them on a silver platter. We're all guilty of using it every now and then, though where will it ultimately lead us? It may be convenient to have everything at your fingertips with no effort required, but in the long run, it cheapens every meaningful experience you might have in your life. So much for my meditative old-man rant on the state of the world.

As for your question, you might be able to salvage some of the list by racking your brain for game and track titles, as you did above. As for the online game, this list might be a good start. You could also use advanced search with the word "Online" in the "Search by Album Title" and "Temple" in the "Track Titles contain" field. That yields some results of soundtracks to online games by Japanese developers and/or composers. Sorry I can't help you beyond this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
Disregarding the copyright angle of this...
It's guneuninly crazy how the majority of people don't even realize that it IS copyright infringement, to the point I've seen people argue that it specifically isn;'t, that it's like "sharing with a friend which isn't illegal" etc.
And people giving the argument about the recent kerfluffle with Nintendo that the channel they took down was fine "because they don't offer it to listen officially!"

Tags
desert, playlist, youtube