VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 5, 2021, 01:56 PM

Default How do I get to make music into MP3s

Hi, I'm new here. Since I started here I was getting some albums here, but I don't know how to make them into mp3 format or how to listen to them on a mp3 player.

Can you help?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 07:21 AM
Trusted Editor

VGMdb does not have downloads. You'll have to buy the albums yourself.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 06:16 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad King View Post
VGMdb does not have downloads. You'll have to buy the albums yourself.
This is late but it seems as though he was actually doing that or something similar, doubt he would have gotten anything from the site as it has no audio formats hosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapotmaster View Post
Hi, I'm new here. Since I started here I was getting some albums here, but I don't know how to make them into mp3 format or how to listen to them on a mp3 player.

Can you help?
First off: What exactly did you mean by the bolded? (Don’t answer if it’s anything that’s not buying)
Second: Why MP3 in 2022 when AAC, OGG, and Opus exist?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantomConvoy View Post
Second: Why MP3 in 2022 when AAC, OGG, and Opus exist?

Why lossy when lossless exists?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 04:47 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Why lossy when lossless exists?
Good point sir, but I'm not quite clear on why OP wants to make MP3 specifically anymore.
Then again, we haven't gotten an answer as to OP's intentions yet.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:35 AM

TC, if you care about accuracy, you should get "Exact Audio Copy" to rip your albums in digital format: it's a bit of a pain in the ass to setup, but it gets the job done nicely. A Google search should provide plenty of tutorials on settings, etcetera…
In case you simply need to convert, I suppose you can use foobar2000's built-in convert tool; it already comes with a preset for MP3, but you may want to add a custom one (if, for example, you aim for V0 variable bitrate).
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:49 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
TC, if you care about accuracy, you should get "Exact Audio Copy" to rip your albums in digital format: it's a bit of a pain in the ass to setup, but it gets the job done nicely. A Google search should provide plenty of tutorials on settings, etcetera…
In case you simply need to convert, I suppose you can use foobar2000's built-in convert tool; it already comes with a preset for MP3, but you may want to add a custom one (if, for example, you aim for V0 variable bitrate).
Nice to make your acquaintance sir, I'm not quite sure if this was addressed to me or anything, but if it is, I already climbed past both of those mountains back in 2020
If not, carry on.

Quickest thing for setting up EAC however is to use/save/send a config profile once you know of the proper settings (best to do this from a blank system with no username though).
Or alternatively, one can use CueRipper which handles all the same secure mode settings as EAC in the exact same way and thus delivers all the same results, but without even spending 1/10th of the setup time (nor do you need to detect gaps every time before ripping).
Only thing with CR is that you'd have to go into the AppData menu to change a few settings that may prove troublesome (such as ANSI file name default) but that's about it.

Yea, Foobar2000 is top notch among converters. For Windows users, that is. Plus it will require the free encoder pack and a few decoders here & there before any conversion back & forth becomes possible.

If on Mac, XLD is best option for both purposes (MediaHuman & Fre:ac are available on both operating systems though).
Old Mar 13, 2022, 01:10 AM

Oh, for years I saw TC used as abbreviation for Thread/Topic Creator, used it out of habit. I apologize for the confusion.

Regarding EAC, what you said could be a nice shortcut, but wouldn't a user still need to do 2-3 test rips for the AccurateRip integration (this assuming a change in computer/drive used occurred, obviously)?

Regarding the curiosity you two seemed to have about that user's reasons for still using MP3, hell, I'll chime in and state I still encode stuff in MP3 myself, why? 50% compatibility, 50% space saved, I'll use an album as example: a FLAC (Compression level - 8) encode of this goddamn thing takes away 3 GB of hard drive space, the same thing encoded with LAME 3.100/V0 VBR is 1 GB. Saves a bit and it still sounds good enough.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 09:15 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilef View Post
Oh, for years I saw TC used as abbreviation for Thread/Topic Creator, used it out of habit. I apologize for the confusion.

Regarding EAC, what you said could be a nice shortcut, but wouldn't a user still need to do 2-3 test rips for the AccurateRip integration (this assuming a change in computer/drive used occurred, obviously)?

Regarding the curiosity you two seemed to have about that user's reasons for still using MP3, hell, I'll chime in and state I still encode stuff in MP3 myself, why? 50% compatibility, 50% space saved, I'll use an album as example: a FLAC (Compression level - 8) encode of this goddamn thing takes away 3 GB of hard drive space, the same thing encoded with LAME 3.100/V0 VBR is 1 GB. Saves a bit and it still sounds good enough.
Interesting, personally I'm more familiar with "OP" as in "Opening Post(er)" from many a forum in the past. No problem though.

Yes, for EAC at least, but using CueRipper, Foobar2000, or even MusicBee, one can easily find the offset of any selected drive without entering a particular key disc, and the resulting value can then also be used in EAC. But if every other setting is handled properly then the time is slashed by more than half and the offset detection will be a one-time thing.

I definitely understand compatibility as even the best setting, V0, still has nearly ubiquitous compatibility with everything it's played on (since MP3 is generally old anyway). However, AAC is a close second and can achieve the same quality for less size at lower bit rates than V0 (say, 192 kbps). The existence of these other superior lossy codecs is why I didn't initially go for the lossless answer, or worse, uncompressed PCM.