VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:11 PM

I'm a bit skeptical on the release date for this CD. While the OVA itself originally came out in Japan in 1992, from what I can find it wasn't released in the US until at least 1995.

Thus I very much doubt that the CD released by the North American branch of Pioneer Entertainment would have been released 3 years before the anime had even been localized.

Sadly I can't find any copies of this particular printing of the CD to take a closer look at, however if the provided information is anything like the 2005 printing it probably doesn't say exactly when the CD itself was released and instead says something like ℗1992 (year that the OVA was released in Japan) and ©1992/1993 (The year the manga was published)

If the information provided on www.anime-source.com is correct, then the USA branch of Pioneer was set up in 1993 so it's possible that the CD could have been referring to that instead of the actual release date.

After some searching I did find a few places that listed the release as 1998. One being www.soundtrackcollector.com, the other being the metadata provider for the 2005 reprint CD in EAC.

While I currently have no means of 100% guaranteeing that it was in fact released in 1998, it does still seem significantly more plausible then it having been released in 1993.

-

Also, just as an unrelated side note, going by the CD info for "BASTARD!! Ankoku no Hakaishin Ongakuhen Vol.1" and the track sample for track #4 on the CD "bella donna" on Amazon.jp the track "モノクローム・トラブル"/"Monochrome Trouble" (and by extension "I'm in Trouble") is composed & arranged by Henri Sekine not Kohei Tanaka, with the vocals being preformed by Toshinori Yonekura. In addition, going by "BASTARD!! Ankoku no Hakaishin Vol.3 Zoku Ongakuhen" the vocals for the track "Ancient Lullaby" are preformed by Konami Yoshida.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Jul 27, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for pointing it out, 1998 definitely sounds more correct even just looking at other releases from Pioneer, for example PICD-1012A being released in the same year.

Added the missing info from the old geneon site: http://web.archive.org/web/200509062...ts/bastard.htm