VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 4, 2016, 08:41 PM

Post How much to charge for my music in a game engine?

This is my first post here, and I'd just like to say 'Hey!' to everybody.

I'm a composer working on music for a game that will be made with a new engine.
The engine is not yet completed, and I have been asked by the programmer if I would like to include my music in a separately-purchasable Asset Pack that will also contain textures, scripts and models.

The developer asked how much I would charge, and I thought it reasonable to charge in commission.
Alternatively, I could set a flat fee for the songs and include royalties. At this moment the budget for the engine is fairly low.
The developer has also asked to have the exclusive rights to my music.

Just wondering if anybody has experienced something like this before and how you would go about payment.

Recap:
* The music will either be sold in a pack containing other non-musical items
* It's being sold separately from the engine
* The developer will get exclusive rights to my music

Last edited by Lord; Jun 4, 2016 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Lack of info
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:44 AM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

I usually check Freelancer listings to get a good idea what rates others are charging. It can be hard to determine a cost, especially when so many people have low budgets and/or want the work done for next to nothing...

For me personally, though, I'd be careful how to spell out and define "exclusive" rights--would you still retain the rights to put the music on Digital Distribution platforms as part of the game soundtrack? If not, well...people can be awfully shifty sometimes, if the other party insists that they own all rights to the music, they might try to maintain that profits are theirs. Legally speaking, I am sure you retain the copyright and such, but unfortunately, others can take advantage of your hard work if you are not careful.

Tags
finance, music, payment, videogames