VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:18 PM

Default SQEX-20017: From Astral to Umbral ~FINAL FANTASY XIV:BAND & PIANO Arrangement Album~

I believe the album page says that the original tracks are also being included, for a total of 24 tracks. Can someone confirm?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 02:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes, it seems to be the case. At least added as MP3 download.

More details about the band members of the Primals and piano arrangements have been added a few days ago to the website: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/ff14/atou/

Nobuko Toda lending a hand for the piano part.

Regarding the credits, Keisuke Kubota and KID are included as "tour supporters" so I guess that means they are not actually featured on the album.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:22 AM

Hmm. I like that XIV is getting an arrangement album with both piano and band tracks, but 12 tracks on a blu-ray medium seems like a royal waste and town/overworld themes for piano tracks is so unbelievably safe. I'm hoping the piano half has some surprises in the arrangements as I tend to loathe the band/rock FF arrangements (FFXIV 1.0's battle tracks remain many of my least favorite pieces in the entire series).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maOQR5LjVtg

There is a secret track when you extract the mp3 from the disc. Password is here in the video!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:39 PM

Curious what the secret track is.

Surprisingly I don't hate the band tracks, but I don't really like any of them either. Most of them sound neutered to me?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:45 PM

Seeing the Primals in person they had lots of energy. These are more "studio" type.

The secret track is Pa-paya! now you have it in your head forever!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm a little confused about the tracklists. Are the additional tracks on the Blu-ray somewhere, or are they an additional download?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 09:43 AM

yes there are additional tracks as mp3s on disc. they're the original soundtrack versions. Right now these are the only "official" soundtrack versions of some of the newer primal themes for Leviathan, Ramuh and Shiva, at least until another FFXIV soundtrack comes out.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:42 PM

This album is really growing on me. The piano tracks are pretty faithful to their original soundtrack versions but are all really well done and the band half is a lot more fun than I gave it credit for the first time around. Not sold on Primal Judgment or Thunder Rolls yet, but I think I may warm to them. Pa-paya hasn't left my head; I missed Hatchentide so that track is entirely new to me.

As a side-note, I'm wondering how the next official "original soundtrack" material release will go. I don't really think implementing 2.1 into the first OST made sense, but I digress. Will 2.2-2.5 end up as their own or will they become part of the inevitable Heavensward release? I do sort of wish the patch music was just its own release as an OST Plus or something.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 06:27 PM

This entry is really confusing. There are 25 tracks on the album, despite the track listing only listing the 12 arrangements. Still, given that there are 25 numbered tracks on the disc itself, it seems like those should be reflected here on VGMdb.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:06 PM

the extra tracks are only available as mp3s archived on the disc. You can't get to them by just playing the disc normally in a blu-ray player. You have to transfer them to a computer in order to play them first. I would assume that's why the booklet only lists the 12 arrangements.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 09:53 PM

So... VGMdb is not a "what's playable in a media player" archive. There's plenty of digital content, and this is simply a mixed format release. The mp3s being on the disc are numbered in line with the track list, and therefore, they should probably be listed as tracks. I actually don't bother with the Blu-ray playback on any of these anyway.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:38 PM

Although the back of the album does list 12 tracks... hard to say. At the very least there should be a breakdown in the comments.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:52 PM
Trusted Editor

I agree with Arcubalis, those mp3 tracks shouldn't be listered anywhere other than the album info.

There is also a 13th track on the bluray in a separate container, titled "I BEAT TITAN!!" and it is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmBU8eUWREU. It's in the Extras menu labeled as a MOVIE: I BEAT TITAN!!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 06:07 AM
Trusted Editor

Just did a little analysis I wanted to share here.

I computed the dynamic ranges (according to EBU R128) of the tracks:
Code:
101 Pregap: replaygain_track_range=0.00 LU
102 Serenity: replaygain_track_range=22.31 LU
103 Wailers And Waterwheels: replaygain_track_range=19.21 LU
104 To the Sun: replaygain_track_range=17.02 LU
105 A New Hope: replaygain_track_range=19.13 LU
106 On Westerly Winds: replaygain_track_range=17.25 LU
107 I Am the Sea: replaygain_track_range=15.28 LU
201 Pregap: replaygain_track_range=0.00 LU
202 Primal Judgment: replaygain_track_range=1.51 LU
203 Under the Weight: replaygain_track_range=1.06 LU
204 Fallen Angel: replaygain_track_range=3.29 LU
205 Through the Maelstrom: replaygain_track_range=1.87 LU
206 Thunder Rolls: replaygain_track_range=3.79 LU
207 Oblivion: replaygain_track_range=0.76 LU
Disregard the "Pregap" tracks, they're just an artifact of the initial extraction from the BluRay.

The audio has a sampling rate of 96kHz and a bitdepth of 24. For comparison, Redbook content on a regular compact disc has a sampling rate of 44.1kHz and bitdepth of 16. In particular Redbook allows for a wooping dynamic range of 90dB. If you apply some safety tresholds, then of course you get less then 90dB, but just keep that 90dB in mind for now.

With even more bitdepth, the question arises if the mastering engineer made use of it at all? Well, the answer is no. While for the piano arrangements we see a maximum range of around 22dB, which is not great but OK, the rock/metal remixes go as low as 0.76dB. That's not even scratching our 90dB from above.

Maybe the increased bitdepth wasn't used, but at least the increased sampling rate was good for something? I computed spectograms with SoX using default settings with doubled resolution (sox file.flac -n spectrogram -x 1600 -Y 1100 -o spectrum.png).

You can find the images here.

The piano arrangements look particularly good, even though they of course don't reach 48kHz at all. The rock/metal tracks on the other hand show the typical cutoff at 24kHz. The energy above this treshold is probably moslty due to 'reflection' artifacts (see artifacts of linear resamplers here e.g.).

So even on the sampling rate side the engineer didn't make use of the increases range.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:33 AM

Yea, The secret track is Pa-paya!