VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:31 AM
VGMdb Advisor

"The Girl Who Stole the Stars" should get some kind of award. Stunning song that's both amazingly beautiful yet heart wrenching with a bottomless sorrow at the same time. Perfect mix of yin and yang.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:48 AM

Quick report:

Track 08 before 3:00 after the update 3:32 disc 1

Track 05 before 3:00 after the update 3:23 disc 2

Track 08 before 5:00 after the update 5:38 disc 3

All 3 discs are now working well with VGMdb freedb server.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:32 PM
VGMdb Administrator

All the English tracklists are unofficial translations, I presume? If so I'm changing track 06 to "Reminiscence" which is the correct spelling.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:43 AM
VGMdb Staff

They should be mostly unofficial, though the second one tends to use the location names from the English language versions of the game. I think we should just stick with one of them though...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:38 PM

Something funny I noticed, the characters "盗めない宝石" are present in 3-15's trackname, which goes by either "The Jewel That Has Not Been Stolen" or "The Jewel That cannot be Stolen" here. However, on the Xenogears soundtrack, track 1-16's name is identical - the exact same characters. There, it seems to go by "Unstealable Jewel". Looking at other places, such as Chudah's Corner and Wikipedia, there seem to be another entire set of translations for these same characters. The only time the name is ever agreed upon is the listing of track 1-16 in Xenogears, both in Chudah's Corner and here at VGMdb, which is ironic because unstealable isn't even a word. And the Chrono Cross translations can't seem to agree on anything at all.

Fun fact: the Xenogears jukebox lists this track as "The Treasure Which Cannot Be Stolen", but I know in-game sound test names probably don't carry much weight in the soundtrack name translation circles.

I guess I'll go with "The Jewel That Cannot Be Stolen" for now.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor

that's crazy that Mitsuda used the exact same name for two tracks, two different melodies, two different games.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Not so crazy when you know his friend Masato Kato worked on the script of these two games.
Old May 25, 2010, 05:49 PM

2 02 A Narow Space Between Dimensions
^ 'Narrow' maybe?

2 08 Zelbes
^ the ship is 'Zelbess', named after Fargo's wife

I don't know if these are intentional in the japanese tracklist, but anyway, I think the one at Chrono Compendium is better...
Spoiler:
Quote:
Chrono Compendium

Disc 1
01 Chrono Cross ~ Scars of Time ~
02 Between Life and Death
03 Arni Village ~ Home World ~
04 Fields of Time ~ Home World ~
05 Lizard Dance
06 Reminiscing ~ Uneraseable Memory ~
07 On the Beach of Dreams ~ Another World ~
08 Arni Village ~ Another World ~
09 Ephemeral Memory
10 Lost Fragment
11 Drowned Valley
12 Termina ~ Another World ~
13 Departed Souls
14 Forest of Illusion
15 Viper Mansion
16 Victory ~ A Gift of Spring ~
17 A Child Lost in Time
18 Guldove ~ Another World ~
19 Hydra Marshes
20 Fragment of a Dream
21 Voyage ~ Another World ~
22 Ghost Ship
23 Death Volcano
24 Fortress of Ancient Dragons
25 Grief

Disc 2
01 Beginning of a Dream
02 A Narrow Space Between Dimensions
03 Termina ~ Home World ~
04 Dragon Knights
05 Voyage ~ Home World ~
06 Guldove ~ Home World ~
07 Marbule ~ Home World ~
08 Zelbess
09 The Splendidly Grand Magic Troupe
10 Nap
11 Chronomantique
12 Dilemma
13 Optimism
14 Isle of the Dead
15 Dead Sea/Tower of Destruction
16 Prisoners of Fate
17 A Light for Lost Hopes
18 Island of the Earth Dragon
19 Navel of the World
20 Gale
21 Victory ~ A Cry in Summer ~
22 Marbule ~ Another World ~
23 Magic from the Fairies
24 Etude 1
25 Etude 2
26 Magical Dreamers ~ The Wind, Stars, and Waves ~

Disc 3
01 Garden of God
02 Chronopolis
03 FATE ~ The God of Destiny ~
04 Jellyfish Sea
05 Burning Orphanage
06 The Girl Who Stole the Stars
07 The Dream that Time Dreams
08 Dragon's Prayer
09 Terra Tower
10 Frozen Flame
11 Dragon God
12 Dark Realms of Time
13 Life ~ A Distant Promise ~
14 Reminiscing ~ Uneraseable Memory ~
15 Radical Dreamers ~ Unstolen Jewel ~
16 Fragment of a Dream

This could replace the 'Alternate Translation' tracklist, since it has localized names
Btw... Alternate translation? Every other album here with this kind of tracklist appears as 'English (Localized)', so why doesn't this one? XD

Note: I really don't like ALL WORDS WITH CAPS track titles, but I'm keeping FATE because this is how it appears in the game

EDIT
Found an even better (I believe) tracklist, for japanese, romaji and localized english by Radical Pan.

EDIT 2
ó_ò
Sorry, I made a mistake...

When I added the romanized tracklist, there appeared a 'track 27' on the second disc, but I don't know how to delete it.
I'll have to wait until you delete the full tracklist, and then add it again?

Last edited by DarioEMeloD; May 26, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:14 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioEMeloD View Post
2 02 A Narow Space Between Dimensions
^ 'Narrow' maybe?

2 08 Zelbes
^ the ship is 'Zelbess', named after Fargo's wife

I don't know if these are intentional in the japanese tracklist, but anyway, I think the one at Chrono Compendium is better...

This could replace the 'Alternate Translation' tracklist, since it has localized names
Btw... Alternate translation? Every other album here with this kind of tracklist appears as 'English (Localized)', so why doesn't this one? XD

Note: I really don't like ALL WORDS WITH CAPS track titles, but I'm keeping FATE because this is how it appears in the game

EDIT
Found an even better (I believe) tracklist, for japanese, romaji and localized english by Radical Pan.

EDIT 2
ó_ò
Sorry, I made a mistake...

When I added the romanized tracklist, there appeared a 'track 27' on the second disc, but I don't know how to delete it.
I'll have to wait until you delete the full tracklist, and then add it again?
I don't know about the "English (Localized)" issue or whether or not the Chrono Compendium translation is more accurate, but I've gone ahead and fixed the Romanji tracklist and those 2 typos in the English translation for you.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 04:19 PM

Best world map themes next to Eternal Arcadia. Am i right?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 04:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZ View Post
Best world map themes next to Eternal Arcadia. Am i right?
Very beautiful track indeed. I think I might like it more than the world map theme from Eternal Arcadia.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:29 PM

What's the world map theme from Eternal Arcadia called again? I'm having trouble finding it on the OST.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtieger View Post
What's the world map theme from Eternal Arcadia called again? I'm having trouble finding it on the OST.
It's track 9 on disc 2 - Delphinus

Last edited by Nisto; Jun 24, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 02:50 AM

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. It's a nice piece all right.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:24 AM

Hm.. now that I am re-looking at the CC tracklist after years, I'm going to miss "~Unstolen Jewel~" as the translation

I guess it just sounded nice
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:07 AM

when you steal something, you can unsteal it (ahah)
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:14 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Strictly speaking, wouldn't 盗めない be closer to "unstealable" or "cannot be stolen"?

Edit: Actually, that's how the alternate translation has it. Also Ryker already mentioned it in the 5th post.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtieger View Post
It is on the OST and there are multiple world map themes in Chrono Cross and Eternal Arcadia (not just Delphinus). That is why it was plural.

Eternal Arcadia: Blue Rogues Ship(beginning of game), Little Jack, and Delphinus. There might be another that I don't remember, but these three are stunning.

Chrono Cross: Time Grasslands, Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World, Voyage Another World, and Voyage Home World.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 09:09 AM

Just because I think this kind of thing is interesting: in the booklet on page 1, track 13 of disc 1 is named 去りにし者ども, but in the booklet on page 9, during the "explanation" section, it's named 去りし者ども, with に (ni) omitted. Also, during the explanation section, the titles for tracks 11 and 12 are omitted and instead replaced with ラスト・バトル (Final Battle), which I guess just serves as a way of merging the final battle theme with the sound effect track that follows it.

*mega infos*
Old Aug 8, 2011, 03:10 PM

Are there two different versions of the SSCX pressing? One with a slipcase, and one without? I have never seen this for sale with the slipcase or the poster until a week or two ago, at otaku.com. I find it strange that an album would have both a sleeve AND an obi.

My copy has an obi, and it's exactly the same as the obi pictured here, except for one tiny detail: it lacks the text that says "01.12.17まで." I find it also strange that it would say anything about 2001 on a 1999 release. On mine, it is blank in that spot.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 03:43 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukulele View Post
I find it also strange that it would say anything about 2001 on a 1999 release. On mine, it is blank in that spot.
I think you have a copy of a bootleg. Does it have any publisher information anywhere? If it doesn't have the Digicube logo anywhere, it's definitely a bootleg.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukulele View Post
My copy has an obi, and it's exactly the same as the obi pictured here, except for one tiny detail: it lacks the text that says "01.12.17まで." I find it also strange that it would say anything about 2001 on a 1999 release.
This soundtrack's release date is December 18 1999, and seeing that the date you've brought up is exactly 2 years minus 1 day after that date, I can tell you that this is some sort of expiration date for... something. I looked around for the post where someone explained this (I almost remember Gigablah being the one that explained it too), but couldn't find it. But if you look at many soundtracks, you can find these same dates, always 2 years minus 1 day after the release date.

By the way, I've been wanting to do this for some time and... keep forgetting, or something: I want to change the names of the scans to match our new booklet page naming convention, which I learned about the last couple times I've uploaded scans. I notice that we're also missing a scan of the top of the slipcase. It seems so sad that such a classic soundtrack, and our second valid entry, is missing a part of the collection of scans. Anyone willing to contribute a quick scan?

Last edited by Hellacia; Aug 8, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:24 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I notice that we're also missing a scan of the top of the slipcase.
The top is actually where the case is inserted, so there's nothing but a hole there ;p Both spines of the box have the exact same text, so I guess that's why we only have one scan for those.

Last edited by seanne; Aug 9, 2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 03:49 AM

Haha, okay cool, thanks for the info

I've renamed stuff. Used p. instead of pg. for pages, started with p. 01 instead of p. 02, used Slipcase instead of Box (I think that's correct), and changed the default picture. I'm pretty sure the outermost packaging is the one that should be shown, like slipcases and such.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:13 AM

Came back and added the barcode number as well as the disc TGCS catalog numbers in their respective fields.

Also, I'm staring at the track times in a program that is giving them to me down to the CD frame. I checked them against the times here, and many of them did not match up. Every time I made an edit, it was always subtracting a second. This leads me to believe that the program Metroid was using to update track times on the track time changing spree he went on was rounding up, especially because, out of curiosity, I checked the tracks that I was editing times for and they were at least halfway through the current second to the next one (so the program would round up). However, when I came here to make this post, I read that he tested the VGMdb freedb with the new times and that everything was fine. I'm not quite sure how the freedb works, and if it needs exactly correct times, then I'll be really confused because I'm just about positive that his were not accurate.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think freedb gives +-1/2 seconds of leeway, so I doesn't matter that much for that.
Different programs will round differently, I guess.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
This leads me to believe that the program Metroid was using to update track times on the track time changing spree he went on was rounding up...
Is rounding up not the best way to handle the fractional tracktimes (given that we are currently limited to an integer for the seconds)? I'd think rounding would be more accurate than truncating.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:45 AM

Oh, would you rather round up? I guess that's a matter of preference. In my mind, if a track is not 2 minutes and 2 seconds because it's really 2 minutes, 1 second and x amount of frames, then I don't want to say it's 2 minutes and 2 seconds because it's not, it doesn't reach that length. But, if you want to round up instead of down, then that's fine as long as we're consistent with that, and in that case you could go ahead and revert the edits I did here and in Creid.

I posted a suggestion which you've probably seen, and I will note that if we are to implement that someday, then rounding down would be more convenient for going back and adding frames, but that is all circumstantial I suppose
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess Iwas not familiar with the technical side. I was thinking in terms of fractional seconds, but apparently there is another counter called 'frames' that subdivides a second so that there are 75 frames in a second. We could probably consider adding that to the improved interface for tracks.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I guess Iwas not familiar with the technical side. I was thinking in terms of fractional seconds, but apparently there is another counter called 'frames' that subdivides a second so that there are 75 frames in a second. We could probably consider adding that to the improved interface for tracks.
Keep in mind that this frame "unit" only exists for CDDA / Redbook. Since we're also dealing with digital-only releases here, "frames" doesn't make much sense there. If we're only interested in digital media, then the sample count is probably most accurate. However this already fails when we take the other analogue media (like tape or vinyl) into consideration.