VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 AM

There were little errors in the credits that I think I've now fixed, like no one credited for track 6. For some reason Ishikawa and Ando were credited for arrangement on the Kirby's Star Stacker track even though there was an album released for it and Ando is the only composer credited, with no arranger (though someone did "re-program and sequence" it, but it's not Ishikawa). The version here is from the Game Boy game, not the SNES port/sequel of the same name, which does credit both Ando and Ishikawa. I removed Ishikawa as composer for the Kirby's Adventure tracks as well, per Blitz Lunar's post here. None of the tracks were repeats of Ishikawa's music (though "Ground Stage" references "Green Greens" and builds an otherwise new piece from that basis).

Kirby's Pinball Land's whole staff is Takao Shimizu, Tadashi Ikegami, Shigeru Miyamoto, Kei Nakajima, Tetsuya Mochizuki, Satoru Iwata, Yoshiki Suzuki, Shinichi Shimomura. Ikegami seems to be the only composer in that bunch based on MobyGame's profiles (though I admit I didn't inspect every single game's credits each person was involved in) and obviously he went on to write for multiple more Kirby games, so I think we can be pretty safe in crediting him for composing that one.

The Nightmare in Dream Land tracks are an odd case, because they're arrangements of Kirby's Adventure tracks, with the exception of "Mid-Boss Tower" which is an arrangement of the Mt. Dedede stage's music from Kirby's Dream Land. The game credits Shogo Sakai under "Sound (Chief)" and Ishikawa, Ando, and Ikegami for "Sound", so who knows what that really means. Sakai as supervisor and the others doing all the work? Sakai as arranger and the others credited for writing the original music? For all we know, someone could have only done sound effects and no music. The game's soundtrack is almost entirely made up of reprises from other games, especially Kirby's Adventure. If they all participated, it's highly likely someone arranged at least one track they didn't write. Maybe we want to list all their names under arrangement for those tracks; I just added each under its original composer since that's what we can be sure of.

Sakai was credited for writing track 50 but I can't tell where that information came from. Looking at the other albums with Air Ride music, it seems there's only 4 tracks that are confirmed he wrote and they're the other ones on here credited to him.

Finally, Dan Miyakawa wasn't in the composers list and this album isn't in his discography on his artist page.

I can't guarantee I made no mistakes in editing because of how disorganized all this is, but I checked my work and just hope for the best.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:56 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've seen the supposed staff list for Kirby's Pinball Land on MobyGames and still don't have the slightest dang clue where it came from, since neither the U.S. nor Japanese versions of the game have staff rolls, and the U.S. manual doesn't list any staff. Japanese manual, maybe? :shrug:

I personally don't like inferring staff roles for games where the credits only list names, because I can think of a bunch of games with fluke cases or one-off composers that confound that process (like KSS with Dan Miyakawa!). Assuming that staff list is legit, though, Ikegami is the only composer there, yeah. Everyone else has design, programming, etc. roles in other Kirby games.

Thanks for taking some time to help clean up the notes a little bit! This entry has been really disastrous for a long time, so progress is progress.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 06:12 AM

I removed Dan Miyakawa even though I was the one who added him in before. Didn't realize the book listed the composers and his name isn't in it. I think our resident music experts on the site (I mean Blitz Lunar and Jormungand) will agree that the Kirby Super Star tracks featured here were always certain to be Ishikawa's work anyway.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 02:01 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Wow, I never looked at the booklet either. I guess that confirms a bunch more Super Star tunes for Ishikawa, huh.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 06:13 PM

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 01:56 PM

I always guessed that he was responsible for the ambient tracks (which are part of the music test in Kirby Super Star and not of the sound test, so it would make sense that he was credited for music).