VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:32 PM

I had asked that OP/ED/IN a while ago here
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:08 PM

"uses themes" (also some of the other classifications in some cases, i.e. OP/ED/insert songs, arrangements and dramas within otherwise OSTs etc.) should be applied on the respective tracks once that part is realized. I generally feel a lot of track specific info should only be applied once it can actually be set for specific tracks instead the whole album as the latter approach constantly causes irritations.

Anyway I'm really liking being able to browse products now. Many thanks to everyone involved.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:39 PM

what if the single is brand-new without a tracklist to apply the op/ep thing
so how do you know if there is an op or ed for that single when we know there are singles unrelated to anime/game/etc op/ed/etc or some tricky products?

bah you can't, hence the op/ed in the classification to avoid adding in the notes (very honestly, you can guess if the classification has op or ed that it's vocal)

btw, if an ost has chorus, you must add vocal?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:31 PM

Secret: I noticed you added some new Platform categories recently. The ones I noticed (in alphabetical order):
Flash/Web
Google Android
Movie
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Wii U
OVA
Series
Sony PlayStation Vita

I propose that we add the following to Platform:
Nintendo Game Boy Pocket
Nintendo Game & Watch
Pachinko Machine
SEGA Mark III
Tiger Game.com

And I also propose the following for Classification:
Manga
Tokusatsu
TV Anime

Examples of Tokusatsu:
Godzilla Movies (classified as "daikaijuu eiga" (Giant Monster Movies)), Super Sentai, Metal Heroes (Space Police Gavan, etc.), Kamen Rider, Ultraman, Kikaider, etc.

Finally, why not subdivide Mobile Phone into different services for Japan?
Examples:
i-Mode
EZweb
Yahoo Keitai

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!

Old Jan 7, 2012, 01:53 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'm hoping to have some time to get back to work on this, so I should have answers to all your questions soon. In the meantime, I'm fixing up a few little inconsistencies on the product and release edit menus.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Staff can delete releases now. You can only delete a release that's not linked up to an album. This may create some extra work editing those links first, but I think the number of cases where this will come up is pretty small.

We may need the ability to change a release's linked title, or to allow a single release to be associated with multiple titles, but this will take some more thought, and is lower priority than the rest of the plan.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
A thought: maybe adding a "reprint" flag or (more complicated) a way to add relationships between releases? Could be a way of clearing up some of the name linking issues.
I've been experimenting with this idea, but instead of using a flag to mark a release as a reprinting, I've added the ability to designate a parent release that is "musically equivalent" to the release in question. This can be used for strict reprintings, but it can also be used for a game that is released on multiple platforms and multiple languages, provided that the music (which is what we care about) is exactly the same. These days, PS3, Xbox360, PC ... probably all sound the same as each other, but not the same as NDS or PSP.

So, when you have musically equivalent albums, only the one designated as the parent (which may be kind of an arbitrary choice if it's a simultaneous release) shows up in the list when you are linking an album. This was the main motivation.

As an example, I took the 3 Castlevania Chronicles releases, and made the earliest one the musically equivalent parent. You can see the effects of this by clicking on those three releases here:

http://vgmdb.net/product/812

You can also declare a parent release for any release using the release editing menu. (Note: releases aren't viewable until specific album links exist for them, but you can always edit them from their product's edit page. Look for the list of releases, with the little Edit pencils beside them, and click on that pencil.)

This is experimental, so I'm anticipating more discussion and feedback from you.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

So, I've implemented the album-product link classifications. This interface is pretty intuitive, although it does add a fourth step to the product linking process. Some of this can be alleviated by auto-guessing based on album classification, but this won't be possible when there are multiple game and multiple classifications. If an album has the soundtrack to 3 games, and an arranged track from 1 game, only that one game should be tagged with "arrange", while all 3 get "soundtrack."

I was surprised to learn that we had over 11,000 album-product links. Nice work! I've got about 90% of them tagged with the proper set of classifications. The remaining 10% will have to be done manually by checking the album. This includes a lot of vocal arrange albums, where the vocal tracks might be limited to some of the products. These will have to be checked individually. There are also some albums where I have no clue what's going on because we lack track credits.

So yeah, this is also experimental, so I'm looking for feedback. If you've got some time, try finding some albums that don't have these tags yet, and test out the interface.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 06:37 PM

So, by the addition of "Featured" alongside of "Fan Arrange", now we could add FFI or FFII to almost every FF albums because Prelude or Chocobo themes are featured there? I was about to say it would suck, but I think it's rather fine with some color difference.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 06:38 AM
VGMdb Administrator

While the Featured classification could be used for that, I don't really think it should. I think it's almost a given that the main theme and a couple other themes (like the Chocobo theme) will be reused in many of the products in a franchise. I'd say that those kinds of themes are really owned more by the franchise than by whichever product used it first. We don't, however, have a way to link it to that (and maybe we should.) I've been using Featured for instances where a theme from a game is used in a solo album (see the Gran Turismo artist albums). I'm not sure I used it correctly though, as I don't have those albums.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 01:39 AM

Fair enough. That's about how individual tracks cross albums, rather than product relationships so perhaps we'll have to wait until each track gets its own row at tables.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Summary of progress since last post:
  • Code for the classifications copied over to the Release pages.
  • Display filters added, so now you can filter the product discographies to show the classifications you want to see.
  • On franchise pages, fixed a bug where the classifications didn't group correctly when an album had different classifications for different products in the same franchise.
  • Fixed span classes in product links.
  • Started working on displaying the releases on the album pages.
  • Turned on view counting on release pages.

On album pages, if an album is linked to one specific release, we now use that releases name, followed by the platform. The link also goes straight to the release instead of the product. Here's an example (see Final Fantasy IV):

http://vgmdb.net/album/10164

I still need to work on the detailed hover display for multiple releases.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 03:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I didn't know this had fallen to the 2nd page. Anyway, I've had some time to make some improvements:
  • During the linking stage of product assignment, the product classification is automatically determined from the album classification if it can be.
  • At long last, when there are multiple partial matches for a product (like "Final Fantasy" matching every FF title), the exact match is the one that will be highlighted.