VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 18, 2016, 02:53 PM
VGMdb Staff

Don't understand, most site reported Toshiko Fujita as singer of opening theme, only this site report Matsushima as cover singer of the opening of this Flexi, while Fujita of the vinyl version.
Need a Vinyl picture

Last edited by depa; Jul 18, 2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the assistance, depa, you did quite a workout there...

Toshiko Fujita is indeed the original singer of the opening, but the thing is that at the time she was signed to Sony (which released their own Moomin vinyl, cat. no. SONA-86112 featuring Fujita's voice), so Asahi needed a cover singer to sing the opening for their released Moomin records. There is yet another version, by Sakiko Tamagawa, recorded for the Victor record releases.

Also, the site doesn't mention the Asahi vinyl ARM-4505 (the vinyl release of the flexi P-51) as having Fujita's voice. It mentions the vinyl ELM-4507 as featuring Fujita, but Matsushima's name is on the cover instead. I will add both the Sony and Elm's Moomin records to the database soon.

BTW, the cover art shown is not the front cover, it's the back (you flipped them). I didn't know you could just take photos from whatever source and put them here, as I have many of them collected over the years, mostly from Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Is giving a source to them is respectful enough? If so, I may include them in the following submissions I do.

Also, why did you removed Seiichiro Uno from the arrangement credit? I used Anison Generation (anison.info) as source.

Last edited by CaveRobotQ; Jul 18, 2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:51 PM
VGMdb Staff

Hi, thanks for reply.
Summary:

-Asahi P-51 & ARM-4505, are both Matsushima right? But the site I linked only put the Matsushima cover mark *2 to Flexi disc and not to the vinyl edition, anison instead report both by Fujita, that's my doubt due anison rarely have errors. Albums that include Matsushima version for anison
Do you have picture of label of these two discs to read credits?

-So the ELM edition (4507) have on the cover Matsushima name but original version on the record, good to know, it would be written in the notes when you submit this

-Reverted the front/back cover. I took those photos some from google and from a Blog without credits. So you can share yours easily, if those are better or they included missing part, cover with different date release (as I put the February and August one reprint)

-I removed Seiichiro Uno arrangement since old records give a generic "Music: -author-". I don't think there's the arrangement credit on the label since the Manga Terebi Shudaika album by Columbia (56CC-1391~2) give only the composition credit... I know the arrangement is probably done by Seiichiro Uno, I think anison take the arrangement field from the Natsukashi Toshiba CD (TOCT-9820) so when we add it here, we can mark in the note *from album TOCT-9820

Last edited by depa; Jul 18, 2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 06:11 AM

Hey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
-Asahi P-51 & ARM-4505, are both Matsushima right? But the site I linked only put the Matsushima cover mark *2 to Flexi disc and not to the vinyl edition, anison instead report both by Fujita, that's my doubt due anison rarely have errors. Albums that include Matsushima version for anison
Do you have picture of label of these two discs to read credits?
Correct. As they are one and the same record, just different format printings made by the same label.

As I mentioned before (info is from Moomin 1969-70/72 article on the Japanese Wikipedia), Fujita was by contract with Sony, meaning that Asahi couldn't afford her, so they just couldn't used her either on the flexi or the vinyl release. I think it's obvious that Anison is wrong in this case, and I really don't know why that site didn't included the *2 mark on the vinyl release, either.

As for the labels, neither the flexi nor the vinyl giving any credit to Matsushima as the opening singer, there's only credit for the music (inside there's a credit to the lyrics as well, but Matsushima's name is nowhere to find).

Matsushima's version was recorded for use also by other labels who willed to release their own Moomin records, such as Toshiba (TC-1143) and Keibunsha (KSC-5002). The Elm release is an exception. I really don't know how they obtained Fujita's version, and why Matsushima was credited on the label instead...

What a mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
-So the ELM edition (4507) have on the cover Matsushima name but original version on the record, good to know, it would be written in the notes when you submit this

-Reverted the front/back cover. I took those photos some from google and from a Blog without credits. So you can share yours easily, if those are better or they included missing part, cover with different date release (as I put the February and August one reprint)

-I removed Seiichiro Uno arrangement since old records give a generic "Music: -author-". I don't think there's the arrangement credit on the label since the Manga Terebi Shudaika album by Columbia (56CC-1391~2) give only the composition credit... I know the arrangement is probably done by Seiichiro Uno, I think anison take the arrangement field from the Natsukashi Toshiba CD (TOCT-9820) so when we add it here, we can mark in the note *from album TOCT-9820
You got it.

Last edited by CaveRobotQ; Jul 19, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 07:42 AM
VGMdb Staff

Great anyway Toshiba TC-1143 give the arrangement credit in the label so I readd it. Are you expert about Tiger Mask? Do you know where the hell "School Mates/スクールメイツ" credit come from"?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:11 AM

Not at all an expert, but this could be just an addition to his alias (Hiroshi Nitta), since he was a member of that ensemble. I didn't found much about it...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:44 AM
Trusted Editor

School Mates/スクールメイツ is a group of actors/talents/singers (something like the Johnny's)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82...82%A4%E3%83%84

Hiroshi Nitta was a member of this unit/project. He sung under this "double name" 新田洋/スクールメイツ but I guess more likely to promote this unit than something else.

Both names appear in Tiger Mask staff roll credits but more likely should be understood as Hiroshi Nitta (from School Mates).

Jasrac does not credit School Mates as artist.

Also, listen to the song, he sings alone; no chorus.

To me, School Mates should be removed from credits but could be kept in notes.

One more thing while I'm at it: in the artist page you created for him you put "real name: Hideyo Morimoto (森本英世)" in notes. It's incorrect:

Artist name: Hiroshi Nitta -> Ryuji Dai -> Hideyo Morimoto

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%A3...8B%B1%E4%B8%96