VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 21, 2009, 02:58 PM

Not even close the first Grandia soundtrack release. Only one's worth listening to are Justin Hits the Scene, Deck Swabbing, At Dinner, Four Volley, Complete Victory, Village of Ruku, Dungeon 2 and the Battle tracks.

Better off getting the original and the Best of Grandia album for the battle tracks. Not any flow to this one.

Last edited by BahamutZ; Apr 21, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:12 AM

I'm looking at the translations, particularly for disc 2 and I can clearly see errors, in both our english and japanese track names, disc 2 tracks 1 and 2 are the same word, so how can they be different...
Would upload a HQ back scan, but the function is no longer there, any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The function is there, as Manage Covers under the Edit menu. You need to be logged into your Forum account to see it.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
disc 2 tracks 1 and 2 are the same word, so how can they be different...
I fixed these two, but the translation might need to be revised by someone who remembers the game more clearly than I do.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:34 PM

I wish more people would write short reviews like this. It would help me avoid the not so good soundtracks. Considering I'm not much of a gamer it's rather hit and miss with albums. Not like I can rely on the rating system here either. :P
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:57 AM

Changed tracks 1-12, 1-16 and 1-21 to reflect the names of the locations in the US release of the game, as also reflected in OST I.

Also fixed the typo in 1-4.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:12 AM

I'm giving this tracklist my best shot but 緊迫4連発 doesn't make the smallest ounce of sense. All the rest of it I think I did pretty good on.

Oh also about the "Cheering Gamba", I think this is a Gamba Cheer, Gamba meaning something like "Go For It". Wouldn't something like "Go For It!" be a better title for these?

Also, a possibility for disc 2 track 9: Warp Space. It's what that area in the game is called and it also (loosely) matches the Japanese track name.

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

1.15 食事中 was also used in other Grandia Osts (iirc) so you may want to sync them.

1.17 my guess would be lit 'four tensions/strains in succession', maybe "Tension after Tension", etc, but I lack context.

2.01 seems like this was a character move was cleverly translated as "Rah-Rah! Cheer" in the game (just "Go For It!" is a bit plain), does the music match?

2.09 after some quick googling too it appears "異次元空間" (lit. ~ Another Dimension Space) was indeed a game area, so Warp Space would be fine.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks like always Dag. I'll go with
117 Four Tensions in Succession; I, too, lack game context for this but Volley Rounds doesn't make any sense so this is the best we've got.
201 Rah-Rah! Cheer; Nice find, these two tracks are literally just the sound effect tracks for the moves I think, with the characters cheering something in Japanese.
209 Warp Space

And I'll also change other instances of 食事中 to Having Dinner.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
201 Rah-Rah! Cheer; Nice find, these two tracks are literally just the sound effect tracks for the moves I think, with the characters cheering something in Japanese.
Not movies, it's an in battle move by Sue. She litterally takes out pom poms and cheers along with the jingle.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks like always Dag. I'll go with
117 Four Tensions in Succession; I, too, lack game context for this but Volley Rounds doesn't make any sense so this is the best we've got.

209 Warp Space
The four tensions song is a medley of 2 boss fight songs and 2 others I think, no place directly related to the full use of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5SntpwBoNc

Last song not very tense, more like a Benny Hill Hallway Chase

This is from Chudah's Corner a translation of liner notes.
http://www.chudahs-corner.com/liners...og=KICA-5013~4
17. Four Volley Rounds of Tension- The Tension theme was used in battles too, but I recorded it in this format. So it goes from frightening to comical. Recording a 4 track medley in one go was such a pain, afterwards I always recorded even different versions of the same piece separately. I'm not very good at writing rock, so what do you think?

Warp space looks fine since it is The abandoned village of lane and the save points within the space call it Warp Space (1) (2) and (3) then Warp Core
---------

Garlyle might be better as Garlyle Forces
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
117 Four Tensions in Succession...

And I'll also change other instances of 食事中 to Having Dinner.
me think of at table (but I don't say yours is wrong)

(edit: could be Four Tense Rounds? -and tension is uncountable)

Last edited by Phonograph; Dec 19, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:38 PM

I wonder if they mean rounds like in a fighting game, or like a bullet.

Either way Four times of tension/Four tense times/Four tense moments is my take on what the title is trying to say.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Not movies, it's an in battle move by Sue. She litterally takes out pom poms and cheers along with the jingle.
I didn't say movies, I said moves. It's actually right there in the quote from me XD You're talking about exactly what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
Garlyle might be better as Garlyle Forces
I think that's crossing the point of how many liberties we can take involving changing names to suit the Western audience. The track is pretty much literally Garlyle, with it written in kana. There's no other words anywhere else. If they perhaps used a different name for the Garlyle forces in the Japanese version, we could change that to Garlyle to fit Western localization, but to just inject words where they don't exist... I don't agree with.

And I still can't comment much on the tension one, it just makes absolutely no sense to me :S

Last edited by Hellacia; Dec 20, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearin View Post
I wonder if he means rounds like in a fighting game, or like a bullet.

Either way Four times of tension/Four tense times/Four tense moments is my take on what the title is trying to say.
the former, and times/moments don't match the kanjis
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:49 PM

Hellacia: I agree that liberties shouldn't be taken.

Phonograph: The why I mentioned bullet was purely speculation on the earlier translation dealing with Volley, like being shelled by a mortar.

Mentioning of time and moments wasn't to be literal or say it should be translated to those words, but the same type of meaning
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:47 AM

As I mentioned in the other thread, there's some extensive liner notes in Japanese. Anyone able to share some insite from them, especially reguarding if there's anyone credited in them?

And a few of the tracks sound like they have (some) real instruments, though nothing seems to be said anywhere.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:14 AM

I think that someone would be nice enough to translate them if there were decent scans of the album, most of the net lacks them. So for someone who may not own the album, but has the ability and want to translate they can't.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:33 PM

There used to be liner notes for Grandia OSTs 1 and 2 on Chudah's corner. The site's down right now, but you can still access them through wayback machine.
For example, try this:
http://web.archive.org/web/200710121...og=KICA-5013~4