VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Anime Music and how it impacts our Data Schema

I've been thinking some about ways that our current data schema may not be up to the task of handling animation music, and what kind of adjustments we might need to make to accomodate it.

I read an interesting introduction to the music of Space Battleship Yamato on the Star Blazers Official Website. When Yamato came out, the state of "Anime Music" was quite different. It seems that most albums were geared towards children, and contained vocals (OPs, EDs, other stuff), but not BGM. Yamato changed all that because adults wanted to listen to the BGM. This article sheds some light on the origins of the anime music industry, and it has some effects on our cataloging.

1. Multiple releases make large discographies

The Yamato site lists about 50 albums that contain the Yamato OP or ED themes. These are in addition to the dozens of strictly Yamato related albums that they catalog. Depending on whether any of the albums are actually just reprintings of other albums, imagine what the discographies will look like.

We may already have some examples of this on VGMdb. A prime example is the Tokimeki Memorial theme song, which is on a whole bunch of drama and magazine albums. We may have to make some adjustments to the discography controls if this becomes common.

2. Older music marketed to children means stranger enclosures

We're going to see some surprising ways of distributing albums. Here is an album that was included on a cereal box. The physical format is called Flexi Disc (aka Sonosheet), which I've already added to our media types. It covers some VGM albums too.

I suspect we'll come across some things that stretch our definition of an eligible album.

3. Some albums are reproductions of the audio from the source animation.

The Space Battleship Yamato Complete Collection presents the entire TV series in audio format. I don't know whether this is an exact reproduction, though it is likely. In the days before VCRs, this was the only way to relive the series. Are there a lot of releases like this? Should these be included here? They aren't music (though neither are drama albums.)
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:17 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I think if there was 50 actual CDs it's fine to list them as is (just think how one's collection would look if you own all these CDs...).

But if there is going to be a product database, I guess you could make selectable to show franchise products or individual albums if cluttering is a real issue.

And cereal packaging? That's kind of awesome. My cereals only had sugar and fat.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:18 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
1. Multiple releases make large discographies
I think this will be limited mainly to certain super-big franchises with their origins in the 70s and 80s, so even if 50-some OP/ED singles is pretty crazy, hopefully this kind of thing will be limited to a handful of series'. I guess Yamato, Gundam and Lupin III will be among the biggest ones.

Quote:
3. Some albums are reproductions of the audio from the source animation.
I don't think these are too common as far as more modern releases are concerned, but Ghibli actually released this kind of album for a few of their earlier films as well. Apart from a few 2-disc releases featuring the whole audio track from the film, there is also this album.

I don't really see a problem with including them, the question is how to classify them though; perhaps 'audio clip' or something.

Another thing I wanted to mention is the linking of anime albums from different regions, particularly regarding the tracklists. For example should the western releases feature the Japanese tracklist from the jpn release? and even between different western releases there can be slight differences in the tracknamings.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Another thing I wanted to mention is the linking of anime albums from different regions, particularly regarding the tracklists. For example should the western releases feature the Japanese tracklist from the jpn release? and even between different western releases there can be slight differences in the tracknamings.
We should use the localized printed tracklist for these western releases. This can be done by submitting the tracklist on the child album, which overrides the tracklists linked from the parent. In cases where we didn't do this, it was mostly because we forgot.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:34 PM

hi i looking for the soundtrack of metal wolf chaos(The President Spirit)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arx View Post
hi i looking for the soundtrack of metal wolf chaos(The President Spirit)
As far as I am aware, no soundtrack was ever released for that game.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:00 PM

I think this is the correct thread to use.

What is the limit for "Anime/animation" music? What I mean is are we doing it on a specific country, type of look, etc?

Few examples. Akira, Merry Melodies, Kung fu Panda, Ghost in the Shell, Madeline.

All are animated, 2 japan, 1 france, 2 usa. Will we be differentiating from cartoons (madeline and merry melodies), or will we be differentiating based on 3D (Kungfu Panda)?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Trusted Editor

@Fearin: http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4523
This has already been discussed there.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up LiquidAcid, long read.