VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old May 16, 2013, 08:16 AM

(cf. http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.p...2570#post52570)

Hey there.

I've got some issues with my CD, anyone else?

Firstly, the beginning of track 3 - DK Island Swing - is the opening fanfare (?!).
Then, there are some cracks or noises, at least in the following locations:

Track 2 - 0:52 (almost not to hear)
Track 2 - 1:57 (loud)
Track 10 - 1:59 (loud)
Track 11 - 2:25 (low)
Track 14 - 2:01 (loud)
Trck 20 - 2:09 (loud)

Actually, right now I'm realizing that it's virtually every song in the last few seconds.

So, does this only affect my copy or do you experience the same... inconveniences?

Last edited by SailorB; May 16, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

Will try to hear on next days....
Old May 17, 2013, 03:52 AM

That'd be cool Thank you.
Old May 23, 2013, 09:24 PM

I don't hear any popping or clicking or anything like that in the tracks you pointed out. Maybe the songs start a few samples before the next track and that's what you're hearing? The fanfare at the beginning of Track 3 is correct, though.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JILost View Post
I don't hear any popping or clicking or anything like that in the tracks you pointed out. Maybe the songs start a few samples before the next track and that's what you're hearing? The fanfare at the beginning of Track 3 is correct, though.
Thank you. Weird. Maybe I should try extracting the songs with another program (used EAC).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 03:03 AM

I've got that snap crackle pop thing going on with my copy, too. You get the same sounds connecting or disconnecting audio out cables from a device into a computer. Makes me wonder how these soundtracks were made.

I had read that another Nintendo soundtrack from this era, the Super Metroid Sound in Action OST, has similar uncalled-for noises. As a result I considered it Nintendo's trademark fluke while producing soundtracks back then. Then I saw that the parent album has bonus tracks. Mine does not. After that I read the above post from JILost who didn't seem to hear the sounds at all. I began to wonder how this soundtrack may vary from version to version or CD to CD.

For this post I verified that CD 2295 - WZ 8001 is the version I own and played it wearing headphones cranked to 11. Now I could hear this popping sound after the music faded/stopped ON EVERY TRACK, though on some tracks it was much quieter than on others. I hadn't noticed the quieter pops listening on lower volumes.

If anyone knows if this pressing (again CD 2295 - WZ 8001) is the only one with these annoyances or if they all do this, please let me know. Also, is it possible there were "defective" units produced? That would explain why some have noticed these sounds while others have not, but maybe that should be attributed to how they were listening. As I stated, my copy doesn't have the blank or bonus tracks. Whether the first pressing has the cracking or not, something was definitely lost during subsequent pressings. I hope my copy was just a lazy duplication of a superior earlier version and not all of them are like this. I'd like to believe there's a version out there that won't snap me out of my nostalgic reverie at the end of each song.

I could edit these sounds out with Acid Pro, but I'd like to own a "normal" version of this CD if one exists. If anyone can let me know how the sound quality is on their copy and which specific copy they have that would be great. If I knew all three discs of the DKC trilogy (1470-Winter96) played fine I'd have my excuse to hunt one down. Finding it would be fun. Paying for it... not so much.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Apr 29, 2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 02:44 AM

@waxattax:

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one noticing those sounds. Thank you for the explanation for what they might have originated from. However, I don't understand how there can be some discs with and others without those sounds.

The notes from http://vgmdb.net/album/15975 say:

Quote:
German release, "produced by Buhl Data Service CD 2295 - WZ 8001" is printed onto the inner ring of the CD.
That also applies to my CD. How about yours, waxattax?

And please excuse the super-late reply.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:22 AM

I'm pretty sure all copies of this version have those sounds. It's in roughly the same spot on each track making it too regular to be a defect and I doubt Buhl Data Service produced more than one run anyway. Mine also has this printed on the inner ring.

Oh, and for the audio cable idea to work it would mean someone ripped the cables out after each song finished- sometimes more forcefully than others to account for the sounds' variance. This would be a strange way of doing things so please take that idea with a grain of salt. Perhaps the original version had -02 second gaps and this is how they transferred over.

If you have any more thoughts SailorB, please share them. I'm glad you started this thread. And don't worry about not responding sooner. Shoot- it was almost a full year before I found and responded to your first post. Now we just need to discover if the other versions are the same or different in regard to these sounds. I suspect they differ. Anyone?

One more thing while I'm here: It bothers me that the blank/bonus tracks appear on the album page when this version doesn't have them. The note at the bottom indicating as much is a nice touch, but still.

If I understand how this process works the parent album's track list is automatically duplicated when a 'reprint' or 'child' album is entered into the database. The only way to correct it would be to reenter the album from scratch or for a moderator to unlink the two and otherwise fix it from their end. Should this still be considered a reprint since that's only partially true? I'd also like to compare the times to see if they match up with each other.

Ha! Now THERE'S my excuse to track down the trilogy!

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Oct 14, 2014 at 03:41 AM.