VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Edits Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 1, 2021, 04:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

@Elena

What is the eligibility for this album? Didn't see any artists that qualify for category 3.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 04:59 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
@Elena

What is the eligibility for this album? Didn't see any artists that qualify for category 3.
Takashi Miki is referenced as a composer in Taiko, IM@S, pop'n, etc games. I'm unclear if OPs/EDs count towards Category 3 as it's slightly unclear, but I was operating under the assumption they do (I only now realise this may not be the case), which obviously he has in spades.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 05:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
composer or arranger credit for BGM in a Primary Visual Art (Category 1)
so yeah, OP/ED don't count for eligibility.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 01:14 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
so yeah, OP/ED don't count for eligibility.
But why? The only difference between an OP that's tailored for the show ala many of Miki's compositions and instrumental BGM is that one has vocals and plays at the start. I can see the logic for more recent anime where the song is often not composed for the product and stands alone just as well, but that isn't the case with Miki's tracks. (For that matter, I don't really understand why category 2 products aren't eligible. What makes a Tokusatsu any less credible than an animation?)
Old Aug 2, 2021, 04:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The Scope is where we decided to draw the lines after plenty of public discussion based on the interests of most users and the vision of staff. It is already quite broad, and there are some who are always pushing on its boundaries. But, if we don't keep our scope focused, we end up spidering out to cover everything, and that dilutes our content and spreads our limited staff/editor time too thin.

Miki can't be used to determine this album's eligibility because he isn't directly involved. It's a cover of some of his songs.

I was using Takashi Nagazumi and the arrangers in my check.

The scope is amendable, but it takes time and a swell of community interest. Toku may become Category 1 someday, or we may expand Category 3 to include Category 2 eligibility. However, toku is nowhere near ready to start working on discographies. The project is in its infancy and much info is missing -- album pages, scans, artists/org links, references, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 04:26 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
The Scope is where we decided to draw the lines after plenty of public discussion based on the interests of most users and the vision of staff. It is already quite broad, and there are some who are always pushing on its boundaries. But, if we don't keep our scope focused, we end up spidering out to cover everything, and that dilutes our content and spreads our limited staff/editor time too thin.

Miki can't be used to determine this album's eligibility because he isn't directly involved. It's a cover of some of his songs.

I was using Takashi Nagazumi and the arrangers in my check.

The scope is amendable, but it takes time and a swell of community interest. Toku may become Category 1 someday, or we may expand Category 3 to include Category 2 eligibility. However, toku is nowhere near ready to start working on discographies. The project is in its infancy and much info is missing -- album pages, scans, artists/org links, references, etc.
The scope should probably have clarification that referenced roles don't count, then - "any album on which they are credited in any role is eligible" means to me that if they can be linked to that album, it counts.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 04:31 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've clarified it, though it wouldn't have changed eligibility on this album.