VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 10, 2016, 05:26 PM

So I just added an English (localized) tracklist for this OST. Since I don't know Japanese myself, I'm largely indebted to the folks at Nintendo Everything for the list:
http://nintendoeverything.com/twilig...ased-in-japan/

That said, the version of the tracklist I've put here doesn't match that one exactly (it was more of a guide for me). I tried to come up with a properly "localized" tracklist, making it as similar to one that might come from Nintendo of America might look. I've retained naming conventions on other NoA Zelda soundtrack releases and also used the same track titles as on the American version of the Sound Selection CD (for the 20 that come from there). I likewise tried to use phrases one might find in the English-speaking release of the game (e.g. "Fish On!" for track 3-10).

Also, I think the localized English version should be the default on the album's tracklist page instead of the main English one, since that translation is more literal and thus less... organic, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by Rew; Jun 10, 2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 01:48 AM

O_O Wow. Never expected they would throw it all and make a full OST at this point in time.
Tablier has been very good at giving composer breakdowns in previous Fire Emblem soundtracks, so I'm keeping my hopes high for this album (that being said, that's Nintendo we are dealing with, but they gave credits on the TP Sound Selection, so who really knows...)

Last edited by RBM95; Jun 11, 2016 at 01:54 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old Jun 11, 2016, 02:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

I wonder how Tablier got permission to publish these Nintendo soundtracks.

I know someone said before that the licenses for Nintendo soundtracks have always been available but that just doesn't seem right. If the licenses were available 5 years ago, for example, then how come Skyward Sword was never published?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:16 AM

HA! I knew something like this would show up. I knew it, just from a feeling! Tablier Communications simply rocks!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 01:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMNintendoGamer View Post
Tablier has been very good at giving composer breakdowns in previous Fire Emblem soundtracks, so I'm keeping my hopes high for this album
Tablier's soundtrack for Majora's Mask 3D also had credits (which, granted, we knew all of already), so I'd think the chances are really good that we'll finally get a TP breakdown here.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 03:47 PM

Apparently this won't be a 100% ost of the game. Judging by the track titles, it seems that practically all of the cutscene music, variations of themes like Light Spirit and Mini Boss 2 (Dangoro) and some other minor themes and jingles are not included (although they probably would need 2 or 3 more discs to fit it all), but at least we seem to get the "main" music here.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Apparently this won't be a 100% ost of the game. Judging by the track titles, it seems that practically all of the cutscene music, variations of themes like Light Spirit and Mini Boss 2 (Dangoro) and some other minor themes and jingles are not included (although they probably would need 2 or 3 more discs to fit it all), but at least we seem to get the "main" music here.
Yeah, I noticed right off the bat that "Temple of Time (Entrance)" and "Ilia's Memory Restored" are missing, among others.

But like you said, the fact that we're getting a full, largely comprehensive OST release for this game is great. =D
Old Jun 16, 2016, 08:59 AM

Whoa, 10 years later! More like a selection of the best tracks. Good to know
Old Jun 17, 2016, 03:56 AM

Very happy to see this - I was planning on getting the one disc-Club release but didn't get around to it... so, I'll pick this one up instead.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 08:25 AM

I'm most excited for the composer breakdown. Wish we got that with Wind Waker.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzito View Post
Whoa, 10 years later! More like a selection of the best tracks. Good to know
While it's great to see an actual soundtrack to twilight princess, and I have it pre-ordered and everything. I'm still waiting on a soundtrack to Sonic 3 & Knuckles .. 22 years and counting
Old Jul 29, 2016, 09:52 AM

Sooo scans are up and apparently there's no composer breakdown at all (unless I'm missing something...). Oh well, that's what happens when we have wishful thinking
Old Jul 29, 2016, 07:41 PM
Trusted Editor

Not that surprising. Seems like the Splatoon soundtrack was an exception.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 08:23 PM

Smile

Just finished listening to all 3 discs and submitted track times. I'm extremely happy with this soundtrack. Finally almost 10 years later!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 03:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

Both the English and English Localized tracklists need work.

For example:
エンディング → Epilogue: Midna Is Restored to Normal

Translating doesn't mean you can make up whatever you want.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
Both the English and English Localized tracklists need work.

For example:
エンディング → Epilogue: Midna Is Restored to Normal

Translating doesn't mean you can make up whatever you want.
I did the English Localized tracklist (though not the literal English one since I can't read Japanese).

Can you go into specifics? I tried to make the list as close to what an officially localized tracklist would look like if it had been done by NoA.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:09 AM

I received this today in the mail, there is no composer breakdown, or any info like that at all unfortunately
Old Jul 31, 2016, 01:41 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
Can you go into specifics? I tried to make the list as close to what an officially localized tracklist would look like if it had been done by NoA.
"エンディング" = "Ending"

While it's ok to use Epilogue in a non-literal tracklist instead, what nextday is saying is that the rest of the track name shouldn't be made up. Unless it comes from an official source like a sound test, that is.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 04:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
I did the English Localized tracklist (though not the literal English one since I can't read Japanese).

As Illidan said, it seems more like guesslating than translating.

If there's an official source then please correct me. Otherwise, it ought to be based on the JP tracklist in my opinion. Especially for the literal tracklist.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
"エンディング" = "Ending"

While it's ok to use Epilogue in a non-literal tracklist instead, what nextday is saying is that the rest of the track name shouldn't be made up. Unless it comes from an official source like a sound test, that is.
When I made the tracklists, for the English literal, I imported from this source here:
http://nintendoeverything.com/twilig...ased-in-japan/

I guess I figured whoever translated that tracklist knew what they were doing--I may have overestimated them. :P (Again, I don't know Japanese, so all I have to go on are other users/Google Translate.) Then I made the localized tracklist based on the above, which I thought was the literal.

But yeah, "Midna's True Form" is a big jump from just "Ending"! I'll go ahead and change that one.

Are there any other gaffes in the English literal column that you all can find?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 06:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

I didn't look through the whole thing. I just noticed that one, for example, on first glance. That's why I said it needed work - at least to double check it for errors.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 07:26 AM

I actually found a couple more just in perusing. I'm going to go ahead and put all the Japanese titles through Google Translate and see if I can't make the English literal tracklist more accurate (and fix the localized tracklist as necessary).

EDIT: And done! Anyone (esp. if you actually know Japanese) can feel free to check behind me.

Last edited by Rew; Jul 31, 2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:18 AM

I find it funny that "The Legend of Zelda - Orchestra Piece (Teaser Music) #2" wasn't included in this, but it's in the Sound Selection? lol
Old Aug 23, 2016, 01:44 PM

Updated the Japanese track title for 1-38. Source: scans & official website.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 02:09 PM

Does anyone know if there is an official source as to who composed individual tracks? This information was on the Sound Selection, but it seems the official booklets (I even have this CD myself) does not contain this information.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 03:27 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There's no full breakdown for Twilight Princess. The discussion thread for the Sound Selection has most, if not all, of what we know about who did what.

All of the credits on the Sound Selection's entry should be accurate, as they come from the album's CD-Text data.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 03:40 PM

There isn't a complete composer breakdown at the moment, unfortunately. The sound selection credits are the only definitive ones we have, but there's a lot that can be gleaned from interviews.

We know Minegishi was the primary composer, Hayazaki (nee Ohta) "only created several tracks," and Koji Kondo served as the supervisor.

Additionally, Hayazaki's VGMO profile says this about her role:
Quote:
In another high-profile work, Hayazaki was assigned to co-compose the soundtrack for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess alongside Toru Minegishi. She added to the drama of the game with orchestral and piano-based event themes, as well as a number of battle themes.
My best guess is that Minegishi was responsible for town/field/dungeon music and some battle themes, while Hiyazaki was mostly cutscene music and additional battle themes. I've also heard some speculation that Hayazaki did the mini-game themes because of how Mario-Kart-esque they are. But in general, Twilight Princess's soundtrack is kind of a mystery (though not as much as Wind Waker).

Edit: oops CHz beat me to it.

Last edited by Blob; Sep 19, 2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Another user beat me to the punch
Old Sep 20, 2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blob View Post
Additionally, Hayazaki's VGMO profile says this about her role:

My best guess is that Minegishi was responsible for town/field/dungeon music and some battle themes, while Hiyazaki was mostly cutscene music and additional battle themes. I've also heard some speculation that Hayazaki did the mini-game themes because of how Mario-Kart-esque they are. But in general, Twilight Princess's soundtrack is kind of a mystery (though not as much as Wind Waker).
I honestly have no idea where did VGMO get the information that Asuka Ohta did battle themes, but in my honest opinion all (or most) battle music sounds much more like Minegishi's style; he mentions a bit about his involvement in battle music here:

Quote:
(...) while I retained the atmosphere of previous works in the series, I also added elements that were melancholy, tragic, and majestic, etc., and emphasized the feeling of speed and movement in the main theme and battle music.
Anything that doesn't come from the Sound Selection CD or the interviews / commentary from the composers is merely speculatory though, but I feel that people have been inflating Ohta's role in this soundtrack for many years (I feel like she may have just been called for some additional / later themes, as Minegishi was the primary composer).
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
in my honest opinion all (or most) battle music sounds much more like Minegishi's style
Based on Minegishi's other work, I'm inclined to agree.

Quote:
Anything that doesn't come from the Sound Selection CD or the interviews / commentary from the composers is merely speculatory though, but I feel that people have been inflating Ohta's role in this soundtrack for many years (I feel like she may have just been called for some additional / later themes, as Minegishi was the primary composer).
Also inclined to agree. I feel like TP is almost a Minegishi solo effort, but there are a handful of tracks that don't sound like anything else he's written. On the other hand, I have a hard time pinning down what defines Ohta's style, so I'm not sure if these were hers or just Minegishi experimenting.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:52 PM

I have some personal composer credits, and for Asuka Hayazaki, the following tracks were assigned:

Disc 1: Goat Herding, Tutorial, Boss Battle #1 (First Half), Middle Boss Battle #1, Boss Battle #1 (Second Half), Battle (Twilight)
Disc 2: Agitha's Castle, Middle Boss Battle #4, Boss Battle #4, Snowboarding, Trailer Theme (Hyrule Field) ~Alternate Take~
Disc 3: Fish On!, Fish Catch, Mini Game Victory, Iza's Rapid Ride, Zelda's Theme (arrangement)

*although I'm not sure, but "Boss Battle #1" (First Half) really sounds like Minegishi for me, especially as it sounds similar to his Majora's Mask work ("Boss Battle")

Asuka Hayazaki mimics Kondo's style quite efficient, as shown in her work for Four Swords Adventures. The rest is Minegishi's work. He also mimics Kondo's style very well, but has also a very recognizable music style.

Koji Kondo's sole contribution is "Teaser Music #2" (Sound Selection only), but strangely I have Michiru Oshima credited to "Teaser Music #1" while on the Sound Selection it is credited to both Kondo (music) and Mahito Yokota (arrange). Anyone can confirm this?

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Sep 21, 2019 at 12:10 AM.