VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Major Update 5/6 -- Scan Uploading

This is a relatively small update, but it has a wide impact.
  • Scans can be uploaded by selecting 'Add Scan' in the Edit menu.
  • Scans uploaded by staff and trusted editors bypass the moderation queue.
  • Staff can accept and reject scans uploaded by anyone else.
All that remains from the core behavior is editing scan properties (which will include delete.) I'll work on this next week, as I'll be out of town this weekend.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:49 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

The scan upload option seems to work, i got a few questions though,

Is there a limit on the size accepted?
I tryed to upload 5 covers at a time for a total on 8 Mb, and nothing happened when the upload was over (happened twice), but then it worked perfectly when i upped files 2 by 2 (and i did not modify anything else) ?

How does the database choose the cover to display for the album?
Does it choose itself "Front" or "Booklet Front" in priority ?

Suggestion: what about sorting covers alphabetically and not in the upload order as it is now ?

Last question, what happens if someone else upload a different cover with the same name for the same album ? Will it overwrite it?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 08:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Is there a limit on the size accepted?
There isn't a limit right now, but I'd like to put a limit on the size, maybe a couple of megabytes.

Quote:
I tryed to upload 5 covers at a time for a total on 8 Mb, and nothing happened when the upload was over (happened twice), but then it worked perfectly when i upped files 2 by 2 (and i did not modify anything else) ?
Yeah, I had this problem too, and I hoped it wouldn't carry over on the new server. It has something to do with the operation taking too long, so the server suspends it. I'll have to defer to Gigablah to see if there's a way around this. If not, maybe we should drop to 3 uploads at a time.

Quote:
How does the database choose the cover to display for the album?
Does it choose itself "Front" or "Booklet Front" in priority ?
The first scan uploaded is assigned the "default" designation, which makes it the front. The next major piece I code will be the edit panel, which will let you change the default scan.

Quote:
Suggestion: what about sorting covers alphabetically and not in the upload order as it is now ?
That sounds like a good idea. I think we'll do that.

Quote:
Last question, what happens if someone else upload a different cover with the same name for the same album ? Will it overwrite it?
There's a scan id number that serves as the unique field for that record, so duplicate captions won't hurt anything.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 06:27 PM

In the old GFA development board there was a large discussion on caption conventions. I tried to go back to the thread to retrieve it in case it could prove useful here, but it seems the old board's password has been changed...
Old Sep 8, 2007, 04:07 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The password hasn't changed. Try using all lower case (or capitalized --- I forget.)
Old Sep 9, 2007, 02:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The password hasn't changed. Try using all lower case (or capitalized --- I forget.)
It's all lowercase.

Also, is functionality for scan credits going to be added at some point in time? I know one of the big bones of contention during the firestorm was how we had scans too, not just tracklists, so giving credits for those like exists for tracklists seems like a good idea to me.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's probably a good idea. I can add a credit and credit link tonight, just like in tracklists.

Edit --

Credit added to the database, and to the display:

http://www.vgmdb.net/audio/vgmdb-cov...=view&cover=39

Now, i just need to finish up the scan properties editing. Right now, I'm trying to think of the best interface for it.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 03:54 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Staff can now access the Manage Scans panel from the edit menu. From there, you can rename scans and add a credit for each scan, change the default designation, and mark scans as unsafe. I also credited Chudah's Corner for a bunch of the Leaf series scans, while testing it out. (Note: delete isn't ready yet.)

Normal users will be able to use this later, when I finish the queue.