VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:21 AM

Default New original composition (inspired by Final Fantasy XV)

My sudden inspiration was helped along by the miraculous revival of my music PC, which had seemingly died months ago. (maybe it's a zombie now?) In any event, I once again have the capability to produce high quality audio files and I'm taking full advantage of the fact.

That said, I'd like to introduce "Ignis' Theme", the first composition in a small project I've begun: an unofficial OST to FFXV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-imrcynmo

I'd love to hear your comments! Let me know how the track makes you feel, whether or not it fits the character (what little we know if him), if you'd like to hear it in-game over and over again, what it reminds you of, etc.

Also, help me decide what to work on next:
a) world map theme
b) boss battle
c) Kingdom of Lucis, 'walking around the city' theme
d) other (please specify below)

Enjoy!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:14 PM

ack piano, I hate piano but whatever (yeah it's a comment even if it doesn't look like ;p)

why calling that ffxv unofficial ost? is it based on existing ffxv music (heard in trailer?)
I wonder if s-e hear of that if they make it stop for copyrights infringement or something

don't misunderstand me, I don't wish you to stop composition but you coulda found another name (you think that'll interest people if you add ffxv? just wondering why you use it)
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:57 PM

I don't know anything about the character or the premise of the game really, but I enjoy your compositions.

I say give choice C a try before diving into the big stuff.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
I don't know anything about the character or the premise of the game really, but I enjoy your compositions.
I really don't know much either--it's all just guesswork at this point. I based my composition on character art, trailer cutscenes, and a short biography. But I'm glad you enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
ack piano, I hate piano but whatever (yeah it's a comment even if it doesn't look like ;p)
No problem, we all have different tastes.

Quote:
why calling that ffxv unofficial ost? is it based on existing ffxv music (heard in trailer?)
I wonder if s-e hear of that if they make it stop for copyrights infringement or something
No, it's completely original and not based off of anything from the trailers. There's no copyright being infringed upon here.

Quote:
don't misunderstand me, I don't wish you to stop composition but you coulda found another name (you think that'll interest people if you add ffxv? just wondering why you use it)
I like for my work to feel purposeful. In this case, the purpose is "how would I handle FFXV's music? What does that particular world, which we know little about so far, make me think of musically?" It's a unique challenge that I've done in the past--in particular with Chrono Trigger and FF8 (which I actually used an FF8 soundfont for).

In any event, I can always rebrand this music later. It doesn't have to stay attached to FFXV forever.

Thanks for the comments!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:00 AM
Trusted Editor

I kinda liked the theme, although I don't find it very fitting. I imagine XV to be a lot darker and serious, which would also reflect on the character themes. No idea if that is actually accurate, just guessing a bit from the new trailer material.