VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Album scans and people

We have a whole bunch of pictures of various artists in the database, in the form of album scans. Pictures of composers, arrangers, musicians, producers, manipulators, and all of them, all over the place. But, because all album scans do is sit there and be images, all of these pictures just sit there in their secluded little corners.

I want to tag scans. How about Flickr/Facebook/etc. style picture annotations, where you can mark a region in a picture and leave a comment on that region. Select someone's face, leave a note saying who that person is, and bam, instant awesome. We've had several artist identification projects in the past, let's go all out on this.

(Tagging doesn't theoretically have to be limited to just identifying people: you could point out other notable things, or translate notes, etc.)

I want to link scans to artists. How cool would a gallery page for every artist be? All of the albums they're pictured in, all listed in one place. Sometimes we might know who's in a group picture, but not know exactly who's who, so some kind of generic "appears in this scan" link would be good. But if we know who the person is and have him picked out with an annotation, we can show just that part of the picture in the gallery.

I'm just brainstorming here by throwing out a bunch of ideas. I know that some of these ideas would take way more work than others, and I know there are downsides, like having a bunch of notes cluttering up scans for people who just want scans. Plus, I know there are far, far more important things in VGMdb's development future than this would be. I was thinking about my latest frustration with unlabeled artist photos when this idea came to mind, and I just wanted to see if anyone else thinks it would be a cool feature.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That would be pretty cool. We have tons of booklet scans with composer pics. Linking an artist to a scan is easy to implement. Putting tags on the images will be more challenging (beyond my current knowledge, but Blah can probably do it).
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:26 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Maybe we can combine both tagging and linking like Facebook does. And danbooru-style translation overlays.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:33 AM

Actually I had wondered if maybe artist pages should have "picture galleries". Some artists have multiple pictures but currently you can only see them through clicking 'edit'. This idea goes a step further though. Sounds great to me, though it'd be nice to be able to add images of artists to their galleries that don't appear in scans as well.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:01 AM

Thought I'd give this a bump because frankly, it'd be fucktastic.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:23 AM

The idea is good in many ways, but I do worry about the legal issues it could create. Composers are very sensitive to their images being used without permission and galleries might result in a lot of complaints, especially if personal pictures are used.